4.5mm vs 5.5mm AK 100 Folders

Can someone enlighten me as to which AK 100 side folder kit will work best on my Saiga 7.62? I want to use the triangle folder, but don't know the difference between the 4.5mm and 5.5mm kit.

Is one size superior to the other or just different? Will both fit the saiga stamped receivers?

The pin size is irrelevant as far as the fit goes. You're going to have to do some serious surgery to get these to work on your current receiver. You'd need to change the rear trunnion and cut the holes for the folding mechanism button and the locking latch to get these to fit.

As far as an actual comparison between the 4.5 and 5.5, read this.

The pin size is irrelevant as far as the fit goes. You're going to have to do some serious surgery to get these to work on your current receiver. You'd need to change the rear trunnion and cut the holes for the folding mechanism button and the locking latch to get these to fit.

As far as an actual comparison between the 4.5 and 5.5, read this.

Yeah, I am fully aware of the installation hurdles. As a matter of fact this will probably be the only thing I pay a professional gun smith to install on my gun because its so labor intensive and could be an expensive screw up.

At this point I am just concerned about which kit to purchase. Seems like its basically two slightly different designs of the same damn thing. Might come down to which ever kit happens to be available.

Anyone have anything to add on one size being stronger or more rugged than the other? From what I read the 5.5mm was developed to arrange the stock to be more in line with the barrel. I also read that the current 5.5mm pins and trunnions are weaker than the originals, so maybe the 4.5mm is the better choice based off ruggedness?

The pin was redesigned to be stronger.

Not sure where you read anything was weaker I'd like to see

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/60498-just-a-suggestion-product-details/?gopid=579092

You were posting in this thread........ Maybe you forgot. evlblkwpnz talks about the newer 5.5mm pins and trunnions being weaker than the originals.

Wow you are right I totally forgot my posting in a 3 year old thread.... I reread it and think you mistake the point in that he had a euro civilian trunnion which prevents firing while folded. We are far beyond that with trunnions we are getting now and that pin is weakened for fitting through the receiver while folded. I think