It's been about 13 years since I had to buy a dog collar. I have always used a traditional webbing collar or a martingale. Our old Shepherd passed away about a year ago and our Airedale was put down a little while ago. The collars I purshased them are on top of a stone marker outside and they lasted the life of the dog.

I am unable to find the maker mark on the collars. Do any of you guys have suggestions for a collar that is quality leather or webbing that will last the lifetime of the dog? Thanks.

Our new puppy.

post-24315-0-31665700-1377181997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 3

No remarks on the collars because we use several different ones for different situations, and we like Nylon web that can be washed to get the stink out.

Your pup looks great.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

The collar I have for my Aussie Shepard mix I bought from PetSmart. It is stamped "Top Paw" on the buckle. Nylon-web, double-layer, about 1" wide with extra stitching on both sides of the D-ring. It's about 5 years old now and shows no sign of wear at all. I use pop-rivets to fasten his dog license onto the collar itself, and the holes are still solid around the sides. It has a metal belt-buckle on it, not the plastic, 2-piece buckle like a mag-pouch has.

His previous collar had the plastic 2-pc. fastener, and that's what broke on it.

Champ is an indoor dog, mostly, so an outdoor dog would probably get more wear on the collar, but this one shows no signs of wear at all. :up:

• Like 1

I use the nylon coated webbed ones from Cabelas day glow orange..they come with the name plate attached horizontally to the collar...no jingle thru the house...had to beat for 14 bucks all metal hardward..our dog spends time inside and outside running the property..He is 80 lbs and its held up well.

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 1

After two different instances with two different dogs, getting caught up and almost choking to death, I do not use collars on my dogs anymore, since at least 15 years ago. I put a leash on them to take them to a veternarian, but that's all. YMMV.

Rolled leather collar. They're cheap and last years. Nice looking animal by the way. My 12 year old shepherd has Degenerative Myelopathy which has left her paralyzed in the hind quarters. Look it up as it is genetic and more common in German Shepherds than hip dysplasia. I had no idea what was going on with her this summer as she progressively lost her mobility. The good news for her is that she's taken to the wheel chair and we can finally enjoy our walks again.

post-35052-0-58640000-1377227774_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Love GSDs....

We have used 2-3 collars on Ranger. We found out that it is good to have the plastic break away locks. When he got older he was playing with his brother and his jaw locked under the collar of the other dog causing them to panic. (Think two cats tied by the tail over a line.) They tried to kill one another trying to get free. Just so happened the snap gave way as I was approaching which probably saved them and me a lot of damage. While some here do not like the plastic, it may be a good idea to have.

post-8730-0-85013600-1377274819.jpg

• Like 2

you have to have the breakaway

a friend of mine lost a GS when we were young. dog was in the yard at night and hooked itself by the collar on a fence picket. his dad went out for a cigarette in the morning and found their dog hung stiff on the fence.

you have to have the breakaway

a friend of mine lost a GS when we were young. dog was in the yard at night and hooked itself by the collar on a fence picket. his dad went out for a cigarette in the morning and found their dog hung stiff on the fence.

My dogs dont wear collars when in the yard, or in the house. Only for when I take them somewhere for this reason.

• Like 2

Conversly, some guys 110 lb. Rotty went after my dog once, while my dog and I were out for a walk. I had mine on a leash on the opposite side of the street from their house. The Rotty's collar latch broke and she came running over. Fortunately it was more of an "argument" than a "fight" so I was able to keep the separated until the owner ran over and pinned her. My dog just had a small cut on his back leg, nothing major. Could have been a very bad situation, though.

Now you'll say the owner wasn't controlling his dog. Well, he WAS, but the collar broke...

I'd suggest a break away to just hold the "return to" tag. and a leather one for going to the vet and the like.. There was someone selling US made leather ones on Ebay a couple years ago, we still have a couple of those around (they are very vile from all the dog slime in them)..

I would suggest getting a nice leather harness. Jake has worn his 24 hrs a day while doing all kinds of activities and a harness makes it so much easier to tether him safely and securely. Leather looks awesome and has held up well even in wet environments. Here he is climbing, river rafting, and kayaking. I got his at fordogtrainers.com. They have real high quality stuff and the prices are reasonable.

JAKEDOGPARK-2010.jpgJake-LakeTahoe_zpsf0aaf73f.jpg

rogue5.jpg

JAKE-WHISKEYTOWNLAKE.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful pics there DogMan!

Check out this cool looking collar I saw the other day. beer.gif

post-1293-0-91293100-1377361559_thumb.jpg

+1 on GSD's! Love em! All I've ever had except one awesome Rottie I adopted.

All my Shepherds have worn slip chain / choker chain collars without any probs. Light weight, comfortable, cool and don't take on odors from sweat or rolling in the various shit they get into out on the farm. Good for training... etc.

Would never ever leave a dog tied out with one though, but I don't do that anyway unless necessary for a brief time. My ex had a black lab once that hung herself with one when she somehow managed to jump up onto her back deck under the railing and then back down on the wrong side of the post. Never will forget finding her and my horrified fiance'. It was awful...

The Rottie's neck was too big for his head so a slip chain would slide right off every time he looked down...lol. For that reason I used a "pinch collar" (also called a prong collar) on him that worked great and stayed on, but still hung loose and comfy around ol jugg head's neck. Those collars make excellent training collars for the Rottie or Bulldog with their short hair and huge necks. Snapping back or pulling on a choke chain has little effect on dogs like that but the pinch collars they can feel and they will stop trying to pull. I also liked it because as the dog grows you can add links to the collar by simply snapping them on.

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/herm-sprenger-pinch-collar-g22-225mm-119271?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W&utm_term=COL-053&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323877790&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=COL-053&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

My good friend Max here likes his slip chain and it serves well to keep his tags and chip on him in case he gets caught roaming after bitches for some reason. Poor guy doesn't do that any more though. He's about 10 -12 yrs old now and he may have the same thing going on as HighPlainsDrifters girl. Or it could be hip displaysia I'm not really sure. He's not in any pain at all but has some probs with mobility since about a year ago. Been giving him meds that are supposed to help with hip probs and he hasn't gotten any worse off really. Still follows me anywhere and everywhere around the property and never seems to get tired. If he falls behind I just wait up for him. It does bother me that he can't jump up in the truck bed or go swimming like he wants to and used to love to do. He lets me pick him up for truck rides though and still very much enjoys wading and standing around in the pond or creek. He can still swim but I won't let him unless I'm in the water with him. Just no more fetching the stick games in water. He sure has hulked out bigtime though from walking around the past year with most of his weight shifted forward. Prolly put on at least 25 pounds in the front legs, neck, and shoulders / chest.

HPD I'll PM ya about where you got that cool dog cart thing it looks like something he might enjoy too on flat ground.

Sorry for rambling off topic I love my little German bear...lol. red_heart.gif

post-1293-0-00019300-1377359306_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-05717500-1377360133_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-36616900-1377360156_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-35465500-1377360196_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-25070100-1377360343_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lupine makes some affordable offerings... with a *LIFETIME GUARANTEE* EVEN IF CHEWED! They will replace them no matter WHAT!!! I have gone through many leashes that the dogs have chewed... ( although I have never had them chew a collar YET... ) bring them back to pet depot... walk out with a new one, no questions asked... they have all sizes and patterns...

They are not super duty, or leather or hoidy toidy... just a NICE, BASIC webbing collar. 032.gif

000.gif

Since we're on the topic of dog collars, anybody here have a BRT? Care to chime in with some advice on what to look for? Im wanting one, but not sure about the price, or behavior with other dogs.

I don't have any personal experience with them myself but I like all terriers in general. What I can tell you for sure is that for any breed of dog it's behavior with other dogs will be exactly what the owner makes it. The earlier you start with them the better. It's not complicated but it takes the effort to keep them around other dogs and humans in public and not letting it be isolated. Dog parks are invaluable for this because he will usually be exposed to nothing but good tempered dogs and dog loving humans.

• Like 1

DogMan is that on Chelan?

The pictures were taken in different places. The one on the mountain was over lake Tahoe, the one in the raft was on the Rogue river, and the one in the kayak was on Whiskeytown lake in NoCal. Never been out on lake Chelan yet but hope to some day.

Rolled leather collar. They're cheap and last years. Nice looking animal by the way. My 12 year old shepherd has Degenerative Myelopathy which has left her paralyzed in the hind quarters. Look it up as it is genetic and more common in German Shepherds than hip dysplasia. I had no idea what was going on with her this summer as she progressively lost her mobility. The good news for her is that she's taken to the wheel chair and we can finally enjoy our walks again.

attachicon.gif100_6477.JPG

Kudos to you for not giving up on her and helping her get around.

Love GSDs....

We have used 2-3 collars on Ranger. We found out that it is good to have the plastic break away locks. When he got older he was playing with his brother and his jaw locked under the collar of the other dog causing them to panic. (Think two cats tied by the tail over a line.) They tried to kill one another trying to get free. Just so happened the snap gave way as I was approaching which probably saved them and me a lot of damage. While some here do not like the plastic, it may be a good idea to have.

Cute little fur ball there! Must only be about 2 months old with the puppy fuzz and flop ear still! Nice!

Lupine makes some affordable offerings... with a *LIFETIME GUARANTEE* EVEN IF CHEWED! They will replace them no matter WHAT!!! I have gone through many leashes that the dogs have chewed... ( although I have never had them chew a collar YET... ) bring them back to pet depot... walk out with a new one, no questions asked... they have all sizes and patterns...

They are not super duty, or leather or hoidy toidy... just a NICE, BASIC webbing collar. 032.gif

000.gif

Lupine does make nice stuff. He has a little break away for right now and I just ordered their 4 foot blaze orange leash. He will be working in some nasty, muddy and wet stuff so it wont work when he grows up to be a big german pooper.

Since we're on the topic of dog collars, anybody here have a BRT? Care to chime in with some advice on what to look for? Im wanting one, but not sure about the price, or behavior with other dogs.

There is an older dude with a young girlfriend from Oregon who lives around here in the Summer. He takes his Russian Terrier to the beach and lets him swim. The dog is awesome and looks like a hell of a lot of work on grooming and hair cuts. He is VERY freaking smart and VERY freaking strong. A pit mix went over to it once and sniffed his ass without permission and was pinned to the ground untill the owner came over and gave a release command. The pit owner was all upset and tried to argue with the RT owner. The RT got between them and the guy told the pit owner to walk away. I'd bet my paycheck that one command and the dip shit pit owner would have been on the ground by his neck screaming like a girl.

The dog seems loving to only the handler and not anybody else. I watched him for a few hours while my kid was playing with our puppy in the water. He watched people come in and leave or walk by his master. Very cold to other people but loyal and attentive to the owner.

If you trained your dog like this guy did, I don't see a problem. But, they were bred for G-d knows what by a bunch of crazy russians. I can see this dog being a HUGE liability if you did not invest the time and money properly training them.

on a 1-10 on the totally fucking awesome scale, I would give the black russian terrier a 9.5

I don't think I would ever own one unless my kids were out of the house and I was too old to fight off a perp.

Have you seen any for sale? They're as rare as a hen's tooth. I would guess the price would show that as well.

I like your alarm system on the rifle cart!

• Like 1

I would suggest getting a nice leather harness. Jake has worn his 24 hrs a day while doing all kinds of activities and a harness makes it so much easier to tether him safely and securely. Leather looks awesome and has held up well even in wet environments. Here he is climbing, river rafting, and kayaking. I got his at fordogtrainers.com. They have real high quality stuff and the prices are reasonable.

Jake-LakeTahoe_zpsf0aaf73f.jpg

That's the niceset harness I have seen, but for now, I need a traditional collar or martingale for training. I may go for a harness later in life when the dog heels and does not pull at all. I have seen a lot of disasters with people who use the harness on a dog too early. It lets them pull hard with no real correction. The harness is great for nose work and tracking. I used one on my old GSD who could track any blood from any game. I would let him have plenty of lead and slack at first and then just let him run when he was on it.

Where the hell did you get that harness?

attachicon.gif100_6477.JPG

That's fucking outstanding! My Ranger danger got old and had the same thing when he hit 13. It was getting kinda bad for the last year. He would go in and out. Loosing his nerves or whatever happens. I had to pick his big ass up a lot! He went to sleep right where he always did in the living room guarding the home while I slept. He forgot to wake up and it was the most peaceful and fortunate thing to happen to me with an old dog. It was amazing how he went. He was working hard for me till his last breath.

You are an outstanding individual to take the time and effort to keep your girl happy and going. Rock on and G-d bless!

I use the nylon coated webbed ones from Cabelas day glow orange..they come with the name plate attached horizontally to the collar...no jingle thru the house...had to beat for 14 bucks all metal hardward..our dog spends time inside and outside running the property..He is 80 lbs and its held up well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into the coating on leashes and it's a great idea. I ordered something similar. It has a blaze orange rubbery coating over the webbin and a 3m strip down the middle for reflection.

Rock on!

It's been about 13 years since I had to buy a dog collar. I have always used a traditional webbing collar or a martingale. Our old Shepherd passed away about a year ago and our Airedale was put down a little while ago. The collars I purshased them are on top of a stone marker outside and they lasted the life of the dog.

I am unable to find the maker mark on the collars. Do any of you guys have suggestions for a collar that is quality leather or webbing that will last the lifetime of the dog? Thanks.

Our new puppy.

attachicon.giffreki081613lbs26.jpg

Ewww, get that ugly dog off these forums. Dogs suck!