Just got notice that my company will be installing forward facing cameras. I work in a confined area. I cannot get up and move around. I can work for up to 12 hours a day. How in the hell would you like it, if your employer put a camera on you, and basically forced you to sit in a chair for up to 12 hours at a time? - and fucking stared at every fucking move that you make? They had cameras pointing outwards for liability reasons, but this shit has changed my dream job into a fucking nightmare. Don;'t want to mention the name of the company or what I do, but it involves hauling commodities across the U.S. on a rail system. Mother Fucker, this pisses me off. Good thing that there are electronic cigarettes out now. This blows. They banned cell phones 2 years ago. Can't even have it on, or face $10,000 fine if caught. Fucking, this WORLD fucking SUCKS anymore. The whole fucking world just fucking blows. I want my 70s and 80s back.

• Like 1

You arent forced to sit for 12 hours. The labor board requires your employer to give you 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break within a 12 hour period. If you need more smoke breaks than that in 12 hours you need to cut back bro. Or get a lower paying job.

Edited by Chevyman097

You arent forced to sit for 12 hours. The labor board requires your employer to give you 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break within a 12 hour period. If you need more smoke breaks than that in 12 hours you need to cut back bro. Or get a lower paying job.

What fantasy world are you living in? The railroad is the entity that gave everyone else a 40 hour work week. I work up to 12 hours on the way to my destination, spend (legally - Federal) 10 hours in the hotel at the far end, Works out to be 16 - 20 hours lately, then up to 12 hours on the way back. I not bitching about that. I'm bitching about a fucking camera that records every fucking thing I do for up to 12 hours at a time. I work more in 2 weeks than you do all month. I put in more hours in ONE FUCKING trip, than you work all week. And you don't have a camera pointed at you all the fucking time. This is being forced from the FEDS. Ha Ha smoke breaks, Ha Ha, piss breaks, haha. You have no idea. Labor board! HAHA ROFLMAO! Excuse me, but, fuck you. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but walk a mile in my shoes.

Edited by coronet

What fantasy world are you living in?

The real one. You should check into your local Labor laws. Your employer can not require you to sit for 12 hours at a time with no free time. Some things might be bad, but please, stop being a fucking retard.

• Like 1

What fantasy world are you living in? The railroad is the entity that gave everyone else a 40 hour work week. I work up to 12 hours on the way to my destination, spend (legally - Federal) 10 hours in the hotel at the far end, Works out to be 16 - 20 hours lately, then up to 12 hours on the way back. I not bitching about that. I'm bitching about a fucking camera that records every fucking thing I do for up to 12 hours at a time. I work more in 2 weeks than you do all month. I put in more hours in ONE FUCKING trip, than you work all week. And you don't have a camera pointed at you all the fucking time. This is being forced from the FEDS. Ha Ha smoke breaks, Ha Ha, piss breaks, haha. You have no idea. Labor board! HAHA ROFLMAO! Excuse me, but, fuck you. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but walk a mile in my shoes.

What exactly do I do? since you know my job and how much I work?

edit: exactly, you dont fucking know. You chose your job, stop fucking crying like a girl or quite like everyone else has the option to do. Oh, right, the money is good you dont want to. Get the fuck over it and be happy you have a job.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 3

We don't get any breaks. We haul the shit from one place to another. Sorry to be so sarcastic above, but WE DO NOT GET BREAKS. There are certian sections of track where I know there aren't any crossings, so I run down to the toilet, piss as fast as I can and run back up to the controls.That's just the way it is. By the way, there is an alerter, that if you don't acknowledge every few seconds, it will stop the train. I have to piss before it goes off. Once these cameras go into effect, I might as well stop the train, go down and piss, go off the property to smoke, then start it up again. Whole deal scenerio would be at least an hour to get the train back up to operating speed again. Yeah. You can see how long THAT will last, or my job would last. I get paid by the trip. The faster I can make it over the road, the more money I make per hour. It does me NO good to slow down progress.

We are getting off track. The basis of this thread was cameras in the workplace.

What exactly do I do? since you know my job and how much I work?

edit: exactly, you dont fucking know. You chose your job, stop fucking crying like a girl or quite like everyone else has the option to do. Oh, right, the money is good you dont want to. Get the fuck over it and be happy you have a job.

I am happy that I have a job. I am NOT happy that there will be a camera facing me for up to 12 hours at a time. That wasn't in the list when I signed up 20 years ago.

Edited by coronet

The company already knows exactly what I do 100 percent of the time thru computer monitoring. They know every movement I make with every switch and button and lever. It is all available thru uploading on GPS units on our train. They can download it and see real time exactly what the fuck I am doing. WHY the fuck, would they want cameras pointed at me also? Jesus fucking christ. I envy the guys that are retiring now. They are getting out while the gitting is good. God DAMN IT! THIS PISSES ME OFF! MOTHER FUCKER! this pisses me off. I am a trained professional. 20 fucking years of experience. WHAT THE FUCK? I'm starting to HATE everybody. Fuck it. George Orwell had it all right - he was just off by a few years.This is all bullshit. Big Brother Is Watching You.

Edited by coronet

That sucks - but calm down man, don't give yourself a coronary.

I worked in a cash-handling room for a while. I had three cameras pointing at me all day while I sat in an approximately 8"x10" room that was mostly filled with filing cabinets, shelving, a safe, and my desk. Now, I did get to go piss whenever I felt like it, and I even got a meal break! But cameras are just a fact of life. Ignore them. It sucks they're putting them in your face, but, harsh reality - you have few choices. Deal with it, quit, or try to fight it. You probably won't have any luck - but you can always try.

It seems unsafe to have one guy on board who can control the train. It seems way safer and more logical to have a second guy on board. I know they all have a dead man's switch, so if you become incapacitated for any reason the train will shut down - but that still isn't enough. Redundancy is important.

How many hours can you operate a modern diesel-electric before refueling? I assume that will vary depending on the load. I live in the state with the largest switchyard in the world, but have never visited it. The UP dispatch building is catercorner to the hotel at which I used to work - when we had flooding in town, they spent a shitload of money, brought in hundreds of tons of sand and surrounded the building with sandbags.

I haven't seen a dead mans switch in over 15 years. They were easy to defeat, a lot of people just put a brick that they carried on top of them. Now it is all electronic. The crew alerter replaced the dead man switch.You have to manually activate it. You can't just put a weight on it. I work out of that largest switchyard in the world! lol. Usually, they refuel in KC, and then again in NOP. That gets them to Wyoming and back. They actually use more diesel than the military. The camera thing really ticks me off. It's like they don't trust me all of a sudden after 20 years of employment. It's not like they have EVER, EVER had a problem before, but now they want to monitor every fucking thing I do. I DEEPLY resent it. I consider it an invasion of my privacy. As I said, they can remotely monitor every thing I do via GPS. WHY THIS? I'm not in a cash handling room. I'm driving a fucking train. It's not rocket science.

This used to be the ULTIMATE job! You were out on your own, running through some of the most beautiful areas of the Country. Simply astounding! Seeing the Country change through the seasons, all the wildlife. It was a sense of being truly free. Out in the most desolate places. God, you couldn't ask for anything better. It is a beautiful and spectacular run. I can't convey how cool it is. Leave it to man, to screw it all up by making you nervous and apprehensive - Knowing that you are being watched every second of your life. Some people can suck the joy out of anything. I used to love my job. Now I fucking hate it. I used to take pride in doing my job to the best of my ability. Now I fucking hate it. It's just a fucking job, now. I really hate that. No one gives anyone any compensense on doing a job to the best of their ability. Nowadays, it's all micromanage and fuck you any way they can. Just so some scum fuckiner can try to climb up the ladder. Tuesdays Gone by Lynard Skynard is the song that I always thought of while cruising my route. I just want to be left alone. Now that's all fucked up and gone. That's all.

Personally, I have no problem with a camera being on you. Hell, they're everywhere. We used to have a saying, "The walls have ears." Well, now we have an "eye in sky." Big deal. Conduct yourself as you would expect employees working for you to conduct themselves. And welcome to the 21st century. Ain't technology grand?

Edit to add; If you aren't aware of cameras watching every place you go, from stores, parking lots, red lights, light poles, schools, etc... you REALLY need to start paying attention.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

if you're doing what you're suppose to be doing on the job then then a camera shouldn't be a issue. however, if you have been doing things you shouldn't have been doing, then yeah I can see how that will piss you off.

We are getting off track. The basis of this thread was cameras in the workplace.

no it isn't, you're bitching and moaning like a little bitch about your job as well. easy solution for you is to change your tampon take your midol and quit the job,

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

I haven't seen a dead mans switch in over 15 years. They were easy to defeat, a lot of people just put a brick that they carried on top of them. Now it is all electronic. The crew alerter replaced the dead man switch.You have to manually activate it. You can't just put a weight on it. I work out of that largest switchyard in the world! lol. Usually, they refuel in KC, and then again in NOP. That gets them to Wyoming and back. They actually use more diesel than the military. The camera thing really ticks me off. It's like they don't trust me all of a sudden after 20 years of employment. It's not like they have EVER, EVER had a problem before, but now they want to monitor every fucking thing I do. I DEEPLY resent it. I consider it an invasion of my privacy. As I said, they can remotely monitor every thing I do via GPS. WHY THIS? I'm not in a cash handling room. I'm driving a fucking train. It's not rocket science.

I wasn't referring to a physical dead man's switch, but the concept of one. Of course they're digital now - the concept is the same, just not so easy to defeat.

I really don't understand why you're this worked up about a camera. I don't think it's necessary - and I also don't think it's going to really affect you. The more shit that's being "watched,"the less attention anyone's paying to a particular thing. If it's like 99.9% of the other cameras that are placed anywhere, nobody is going to be looking at it unless something went wrong and they're going back to see what happened.

You feel like it's an invasion of your privacy - sorry man, but that's company property you're operating. You don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Just because they haven't had a camera on you up until now doesn't mean you've gained a right to privacy. Sucks, but that's how it works. Take some time and think on it. Decide if you're willing to quit your job over this.

Edited by Shandlanos

I have cameras on me from the time I pull in the parking lot till the time I leave way before that if you count traffice cams.They are everywhere in the building I have also had my web cam on my lap top coming on for no appearent reason..not to mention my key card log...have to use a key card to get back in the office every time you have to take a piss. Like others have said you can deal with it or quit...just like email, phone lines, and your computer it is your companys property and its there right. .I don't really care for it but it is what it is. I am sure as soon as you get off work you activate your personal locating device i. e. cell phone...so what really is the difference.

Welcome to 1984....

I do construction work for a living. There are jobs that employ over watch cameras that see everything and are becoming more common place in use. Last job site I was on had one linked up to the big wigs office.

Even had a job site that you could get online and view, review, replay, zoom in, save still pictures from months back to present minute. Except the days the company screwed up..... Some reason that time frame was deleted.

When I work at most of the nuclear plants, where I work in them, always cameras, always manned. Wearing a head set that they can contact you on also. For safety reasons I find it helpful, a little over watch in that area is not always a bad thing till you get a prick on the other side of the camera. Had one guy that was flipping out over everything from body positioning to were I set my tools down.

PS... Had one job my partner got so pissed off over the bitching coming from loud speaker from some guy watching us from a newly installed camera. My partner threw his hardhat at the camera and took it right off the wall. LOL

• Like 1

We don't get any breaks. We haul the shit from one place to another. Sorry to be so sarcastic above, but WE DO NOT GET BREAKS. There are certian sections of track where I know there aren't any crossings, so I run down to the toilet, piss as fast as I can and run back up to the controls.That's just the way it is. By the way, there is an alerter, that if you don't acknowledge every few seconds, it will stop the train. I have to piss before it goes off.

Sounds like you get to learn the pilot trick. Save your empty bottles.

The hell you complaining about? We have DOZENs of cameras watching our every move, and also told that they get reviewed everyday . They also have sound. You can't go anywhere without a camera watching you unless you're taking a shit. It's not just big brother watching you, it's little bro too.

Get your company rule book out and read it word for word, there's always a way to fuck with them and be totally within the rules and your rights, ie., dress code, if you are not required to wear a uniform, then wear, say, a loud colored tank top, wild ass colored shorts and maybe some linemans boots. Hell, get creative, as long as it's within the rules.

Years ago, I had a real prick for a boss, he would "punish" us by making us cut the grass around the building and pull weeds off the fence, instead of being in the shop working on pumps, so one day, I show up in shorts, flip flops, no shirt and started cutting grass down the hill at the street, (I was 30 years younger and 40lbs lighter :) ) had me a grand old time, the next day, I called in sick with a case of "vineittus", was tended to by a pretty brunette all day that cured what ailed me. :)

And Chevydude, if you ever have an issue, I hope that I can share some empathy, instead of apathy.

Empathy? Man, empathy is for real problems.

I am watched by camera on every corner, hallway, and floor of my work place. Its a part of the world you agree to when you sign a contract with an employer. I might have empathy if you had a real complaint. But you dont, you get breaks, you get lunch, you get benefits. You have a job lots of people would kill to have. Stop whining because you cant smoke or use your cell phone while on the clock.

coronet, it's all about liability. The company has decided that they have to have you on camera, because the ultimate goal is to blame the individual operator whenever possible. It's the least costly point of failure, since you just fire him and hire a new one.

I work in the marine industry, and the same thing has gradually crept in over the course of many marine accidents. Most large ships now have a Voyage Data Recorder (i.e. "black box") that records all navigation information, as well as bridge audio from micrphones. Some have video as well, but most that I've worked with do not. However it's important to know that this information is thrown away automatically by the system over time, and is only collected in the event of an incident - the same probably applies to your locomotive camera.

As far as deadman buttons go, I don't know what is done on locomotives, but we now also have BNWAS (Bridge Navigation Watch Alert System) that actually senses movement of watchstanders on the bridge via motion sensors. If there is no motion over a set amount of time, the watch alarm/deadman alarm is sounded.

Some of these systems are useful and provide very necessary information in the event of an accident or loss at sea. Some are just privacy invasions pure and simple - i.e. direct video recording.

But above all else, does an average locomotive have only one person on board? I would think this would be a two-man operation, required by law.

Edited by mancat

Want some cheese to go with that whine? haha.gif

I dont see it as any worse than customers watching over me. Im a happy go fucker 99% of the time, so I could care less. Put up a camera if it makes them feel better. I show up for work, to work. Not to fuck off on the boss's dollar.

Camera's have their place. Do your job and be an honest worker and you shouldnt have any issues.

Even if I did have a problem with others watching me, I cant do much about it. Its out of my hands, so Im going to continue being myself regardless. Fuck it. It is what it is. Deal with it and quit bitching.

• Like 1

Fuck... I just lost MY job of 20 years.... I will trade you in a heartbeat.... cameras or not... you probably make good money doing it too!!! :up:

Like was said above... chances are the footage will never be "monitored" except in the case of an ISSUE...

:smoke: