Permanent TAKD AR mag adapter (not bastard)?

I was watching a video of a MSA/TAKD AR mag adapter in a Saiga and I had an idea!

One thing I didn't like about the AR mag adapter is that it leaves the Saiga mags (when adapter removed) fitting a tad sloppy. That drives me nuts. I'm willing to part ways with .223 mags (they're getting harder to find metal tabbed ones anyway), so I'd like to go "full on AR mags". So, I looked into the "TAKD bastard". Well, that appears to be a FANTASTIC solution!... but I don't want to strip my entire lower (I have it set up just the way I like it).

So.... I had this brain storm idea...

What about grinding down the rear (trigger guard side) tab on the TAKD AR adapter, and welding a block to the back? Then drill a hole horizontally through the block. Remove factory Saiga mag catch lever, slide in AR adapter, and run a bolt (to fascilitate removal for thorough cleaning) or pin/rivet (for permanent) through the stock catch lever pivot hole and newly drilled adapter block hole?

That way it would be solid, semi permanent (COULD always reinstall mag catch lever again), way cheaper than an entire bottom half, and would keep the lines somewhat stock looking!

Any one ever do this? Or see any issues with this method?

yea, im not quite following you. the adapter is aluminum, so good luck welding. plus theres nothing wrong with the design, it locks up TIGHT. if you wanna remove it use allen wrenches,

I thought you had some insight on a receiver they had produced with the bastdr built in . lol what a let down

I thought you had some insight on a receiver they had produced with the bastdr built in . lol what a let down

There is a new company that will be taking on this rifle for production. Right now we are negotiating with a company to cut and bend special receivers for us. We just secured 5.56 bolt production last week. We hope to show in November.

I was watching a video of a MSA/TAKD AR mag adapter in a Saiga and I had an idea!

One thing I didn't like about the AR mag adapter is that it leaves the Saiga mags (when adapter removed) fitting a tad sloppy. That drives me nuts. I'm willing to part ways with .223 mags (they're getting harder to find metal tabbed ones anyway), so I'd like to go "full on AR mags". So, I looked into the "TAKD bastard". Well, that appears to be a FANTASTIC solution!... but I don't want to strip my entire lower (I have it set up just the way I like it).

So.... I had this brain storm idea...

What about grinding down the rear (trigger guard side) tab on the TAKD AR adapter, and welding a block to the back? Then drill a hole horizontally through the block. Remove factory Saiga mag catch lever, slide in AR adapter, and run a bolt (to fascilitate removal for thorough cleaning) or pin/rivet (for permanent) through the stock catch lever pivot hole and newly drilled adapter block hole?

That way it would be solid, semi permanent (COULD always reinstall mag catch lever again), way cheaper than an entire bottom half, and would keep the lines somewhat stock looking!

Any one ever do this? Or see any issues with this method?

For the amount of time it would take to attempt.... then reattempt.... then after getting flustered cause I've yet see a successful Aluminum to Steel weld. The BASTARD bolt on would have saved you a lot of time. The thing about the BASTARD is you can always revert back to an AK just get a mag catch part from a popular AK builder supply and screw/rivet it back on. Or put your old one back on.

On a side note there is a new adapter in the works it's not AMBI (yet) but it will solve the material removal issue better. It's a new universal piece we are doing.

• Like 1

There is no way to get around not modifying your AK to take AR mags. All trunnions will need to be opened up to accept AR mags as they are inherently wider than AK mags at the nose/front. The difference between what the new adapter and old adapter in terms of material removal reduction amounts to the thickness of a nickel. The new version will have a throated funnel. They will be released in October.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no way to get around not modifying your AK to take AR mags. All trunnions will need to be opened up to accept AR mags as they are inherently wider than AK mags at the nose/front. The difference between what the new adapter and old adapter in terms of material removal reduction amounts to the thickness of a nickel. The new version will have a throated funnel. They will be released in October.

If it is less milling I’m in for another… Please advise when you are ready to deploy the new release. I have a second S223 that I like to apply the adapter upgrade. You may remember I did one of the first Bastard installs after your initial roll-out (of the Bastard) and so far so good.  The S223 with Bastard is one of my favorite rifles and it has performed flawlessly. This way I could go with a single mag solution for my rifles chambered in .223/5.56.