I'm considering picking one of these up pretty soon. AIM and Classic have some nice M57s and TTCs respectively and for the exact same price. I know I'm picking up an extra round with the Yugo, but my biggest concern is the add-on safeties they each have. The Yugo's is slide mounted and the Romy has it on the frame just behind the trigger by the mag catch. Anyone know if one of these is superior to the other? I understand that they're both add-on, but I can't seem to find any info on one versus the other.

The M57 safety was part of the original design and works quite well.

The Romanian safety is an add-on, and a lot of people remove it, sort of like with the Norinco Tok. I have no idea if the Romanian safety is problematic, but the Norinco definitely was - I have a Norinco TT and the safety was so dangerous that I just got rid of it.

I love my m57. I got a hard chromed one from classic when they were offering them 3 years ago. Fun gun, and I was lucky enough to get some of the last milsurp for it, so I have cheap ammo for quite some time.

One bonus for the m57, mags aren't terribly hard to find, nor terribly expensive. I have 5 for mine.

I bought a M57 Tok a few years ago to keep my Yugo SKS company (since they speak the same language). I really like it, the machining is nice, built sturdy, and I also bought a 9mm conversion kit for it. Glad I did because right after I bought it, cheap surplus 7.62x25 dried up. The 7.62x25 is a cool little round, but I am glad I got the 9mm kit. Basically you just need the barrel and bushing, as the mags can hold 9mm a bit loosely, but still work fine. I love my M57

The M57 is a winner hands-down. Better fit and finish, a safety actually meant for the pistol, and an extra round of ammunition.

There are a few disadvantages, but they're relatively minor - the bore is not chrome-lined, thus it is more susceptible to corrosion, especially when firing corrosive surplus ammo. It does not take the same magazines as other TT pistols, so if, like me, you have others, you have to buy mags just for that pistol. I don't have an M57 yet for that reason. I had a Polish TT for about 20 minutes at a gun show. Immediate buyer's remorse when I realized I really couldn't afford it. Fortunately, my buddy had been eyeballing it and was pissed he didn't get to it first - I gave it to him for exactly what I paid and everything worked out. I have a Chinese Type 54, and I love that thing. Very loose, extremely smooth action. I also have a like-new Norinco 213 in 9mm - built to much tighter tolerances, very nice little pistol.

I love TT pistols - basically little stripped-down Eastern-bloc 1911s.

I bought a M57 Tok a few years ago to keep my Yugo SKS company (since they speak the same language). I really like it, the machining is nice, built sturdy, and I also bought a 9mm conversion kit for it. Glad I did because right after I bought it, cheap surplus 7.62x25 dried up. The 7.62x25 is a cool little round, but I am glad I got the 9mm kit. Basically you just need the barrel and bushing, as the mags can hold 9mm a bit loosely, but still work fine. I love my M57

My model 213 uses proprietary 9mm magazines, and a magazine well insert, as well as a 9mm slide and barrel - but the same frame as the 7.62x25 model. With a slide, barrel and mag it can be switched to 7.62x25 and use standard TT mags. I tried running it without the well insert, using 7.62x25 magazines loaded with 9mm, and it just wouldn't feed consistently.

Weidners had and may still have new in the grease M57 yugo mags. I stocked up for the above pistol. Something else nobody has mentioned the M57 has a spring loaded FP and nearly all TOK parts interchange. RTG has many unissued TOK parts. Stocked up on those too. I passed on the 9mm because I have plenty of 9's and the x25 round blows the 9mm away. muzzle velocity exceeds .357 mag.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely settled on the Yugo now. Just trying to decide on the caliber. I already have a crap ton of 9mm, so I wouldn't have to start stocking another caliber, but the ballistics of the x25 are really swaying me that way. I know surplus is hard to get and is really pricey if you can find it, but it seems like the price of 9mm and x25 are roughly the same for new production ammo.

9mm Tokarev barrels still come up for sale pretty often.. it's something you can do at some point down the road. so far as I know, the barrel assembly can be exchanged between all nationalities of manufacture.

Edited by mancat