Looking at this one......wants $1100. Dont know if I'm sold on it or if I should wait around for a deal on a Springfield.....

Ruger Gunsite Scout in excellent condition. Includes Ruger solid mount bases and a Ruger Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 with sunshade and butler creek flip caps. Trigger has been polished and a decelerator buttpad has been installed.

Will include 2 AICS steel mags and one Ruger original polymer.

post-22193-0-40664300-1377380163.jpg

I just shot my buddy's ruger scout the other day. He paid 900 for the rifle, 250 for the scope and 100 for the scope mount. So id say the one you are looking at is priced alright . For a bolt action, its handy, accurate and smooth as silk, if you want to spend that much.

Id probably pop an archangel on my mosin carbine, get a bent bolt handle, scope mount and scope and 880rds and still spend less.

I'd get the real deal, a Steyr Scout.

The ruger can be found brand new for around 700 bucks if you look around. The trigger job is always a red alert for me unless they can document who did it and they have a good reputation. Lots of hacks out there that do trigger jobs.

The scope, to me, is a piece of trash. Not only is is, in my opinion, a piece of shit chink glass, it defeats the purpose of a scout rifle and it's function. Who the hell puts a big honking variable on a scout rifle?

The magazines are valuable but again, they turn a scout rifle into something else.

You asked and got my asshole opinion.

If I were you, I would run and look up the history of the scout rifle and you may end up with a nice Cooper with the right glass on it!

Good luck!

I'd get the real deal, a Steyr Scout.

The ruger can be found brand new for around 700 bucks if you look around. The trigger job is always a red alert for me unless they can document who did it and they have a good reputation. Lots of hacks out there that do trigger jobs.

The scope, to me, is a piece of trash. Not only is is, in my opinion, a piece of shit chink glass, it defeats the purpose of a scout rifle and it's function. Who the hell puts a big honking variable on a scout rifle?

The magazines are valuable but again, they turn a scout rifle into something else.

You asked and got my asshole opinion.

If I were you, I would run and look up the history of the scout rifle and you may end up with a nice Cooper with the right glass on it!

Good luck!

The rifle and its current setup are not worth the asking price, IMO. I wouldnt pay no more than 800 for the whole thing. But thats just me.

M1A continues to have QC issues with receivers AFAIK.

Shame too cause it was once a very nice rifle, may still be by luck of the draw.

I kind of shun them due to NATO ammo rating, yeah I know, but if its not rated for 308 I pass.

The scout rifle concept has been twisted so badly I dont know if it matters any longer.

Field of view, low mag long eye relief, combat caliber, and light weight seem the last vestiges IMHO.