What do you guys know about these and how do they rate in the 5.56 world. Also are parts readily available? I'd like to get a 5.56 but not your typical AR platform. I do understand the PTR 91 GI is .308 but I love the style.

Edited by breid

I've got a PTR91, that I bought from a member here, all I've done to it was polish the chamber, the flutes where not deburred and it'd leave the brass looking like it was run down the rifleings in the barrel, but all is well now. The C93's, like was said, will most likely need to "fixed" to make it run right. Check your bolt gap and make sure it's ok, you might want to get a few sets of rollers, a firing pin, extractor & spring and some other stuff to keep on hand. The brass should come out with the "hk racing stripes" and sometimes, it's hard to get cleaned up all the way. Also, check your carrier, if it hasn't been ground, i.e., still a FA carrier, then all you need is a LEGAL sear, and you're good to go. Both of my Vectors are sear ready and I've run my V93 with a friends sear, fun as HELL, but expensive, my V53 has a screwy locking piece, so it wanted to stove pipe about every 10 rounds. The locking pieces on the HK type guns are specific to bullet weight and barrel length, so check it make sure you've got the one that you need and clearance is correct. They'll all "work" in a SA rifle, but may give problems after a while, such as unlocking too soon or too late.

How does the C93 compare to the PTR 91 F or GI version? I have read that since they went to the 11 lands and grooves that they have pretty much eliminated all the problems with extractions.

You are confused. Both rifles posses 4 lands and grooves, which is the rifling in the barrel. The chambers are fluted and posses 12 flutes which are the spec in the HK /PTR guns. I don't know about the century chambers. Century Hk guns are not comparable to PTR made guns. If you ever handle the two side by side you'll see what I mean. Century welds the trunnions on the forward lip of the receiver trunnion interface and grinds the bolts to achieve bolt gap. This is very very wrong as the delayed roller blow back system is not made to function this way. Go to HKpro are you will find all you need about this subject there.

I have 2 KFM4-Rs and love them, but they are heavy.

I shoot pretty well with either rifle. Originally I had them outfitted with EOTechs but couldn't use the regular sights without removing the EOtechs, so I decided to pull them off and just use the irons.

I find they operate best with German DAG or German MEN surplus ammo but mine will run anything I put through them.

Some day I want to get a GI rifle with a collapsible stock to give an lighter option, unless a compnay comes out with a bull pup that used the same mags.

As for mags, I prefer aluminum surplus to steel, mostly due to weight.

• Like 1