Vepr .308 vs PTR91

Im looking for some pro's and cons here. I absolutely love the look of the PTR. The way it looks and feels plus the sights are a huge plus. The magazines are pretty cheap as well. I do not want to go the route of a CETEME FAL . A buddy said to look into the VEPR. One of the first glaring problems I notices was the cost of the magazines. The Vepr ones are far more expensive. If you guys have any experience between the two let me know. The price range seems pretty consistent. The PTR is running around 1000 to 1100 will the Vepr seems to be around 800. I could be wrong of course. Either way I'm looking for an affordable yet accurate .308 to reach out past where my saiga 7.62 can currently reach. Any help would be awesome guys and gals.

Im looking for some pro's and cons here. I absolutely love the look of the PTR. The way it looks and feels plus the sights are a huge plus. The magazines are pretty cheap as well. I do not want to go the route of a CETEME FAL . A buddy said to look into the VEPR. One of the first glaring problems I notices was the cost of the magazines. The Vepr ones are far more expensive. If you guys have any experience between the two let me know. The price range seems pretty consistent. The PTR is running around 1000 to 1100 will the Vepr seems to be around 800. I could be wrong of course. Either way I'm looking for an affordable yet accurate .308 to reach out past where my saiga 7.62 can currently reach. Any help would be awesome guys and gals.

Saiga 308

CON: No spare parts.

PRT

CON: ?

PRO: Spare parts

I myself like the PRT91 or DSA's FAL's, it was cheaper to buy the Saiga, only reason I purchased mine, don't get we wrong I loved the rifle but if I had the $$$ I would have boght the PRT

Yeah the DSA FALs are expensive but are high quality, I got to look one over once, you could tell those guys take some pride in building an FAL.

I want a PTR but to be honest my big hang up is the lack of a 20 inch barrel. I also wanted a .308 in an AK form so I went the VEPR .308 route with the 20 inch barrel and the version 2 sights. I like it, yes the mags are expensive but if you're buying from CSspecs you get what you pay for, his mags are built like a tank, if you run out of ammo you could probably pop the mag off and beat the threat with the mag. lol

The only thing else I can say about the VEPR .308 mags is that I hope CSspecs will produce a 25 round mag. That would be nice.

• Like 1

One advantage to using an AK pattern rifle to compliment your other AK pattern rifle is that your practice covers both rifles. So you build a pattern of familiarity.

That said a well made FAL, G3, or M14 pattern rifle will likely serve you just as well.

One thing that is important when comparing price is to also factor for how many mags you actually plan to buy. Figure the rifle as a package cost. Also factor for the cost of the ammo if it requires brass cased.

A good friend of mine used to own a nice PTR91. It proved to be extremely picky about ammunition (it just refused to cycle specific .308/7.62 mm NATO rounds, period) and we just couldn't get a very nice, expensive optics mount to stay in place without movement (was impossible to zero a scope). He also didn't particularly like the feel and ergonomics of the weapon. The fact that it didn't group any better than my S308, was the last straw. He sold that rifle.

Personally, the ergonomics of the HK91 flat out suck. The sights are way too low, forcing you to lay your head sideways to look through them. The charging handle is way too far forward and if you reload, your brass gets all beat to shit. I bought one back in the 80's and accuracy was surprisingly shitty as well. On a good day, the thing could put 5 into three inches at 100 yards and that was with a 12x Leupold Target scope in a factory HK mount. Oh....I almost forgot.....HK hands down has the crappiest trigger pull of any rifle I have ever fired.

• Like 2

Ok, so my buddy and I just put a hundred rounds through his 91 GI and it went flawless. This is a second generation PTR 91. It ate up all the ammo we threw at it. I had no difficulty with the sights, but I suppose I could see how some people would. It was fun to shoot and we were able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards benched with a crappy bushnell scoop. I enjoyed shooting it and it cemented my desire to get one. A local shop has two and I'm going to put on layaway. PTR also has a little attachment that eliminates the brass coming out beat to shit. I think its a win win situation for a .308.

• Like 1

Ok, so my buddy and I just put a hundred rounds through his 91 GI and it went flawless. This is a second generation PTR 91. It ate up all the ammo we threw at it. I had no difficulty with the sights, but I suppose I could see how some people would. It was fun to shoot and we were able to get 3 inch groups at 100 yards benched with a crappy bushnell scoop. I enjoyed shooting it and it cemented my desire to get one. A local shop has two and I'm going to put on layaway. PTR also has a little attachment that eliminates the brass coming out beat to shit. I think its a win win situation for a .308.

The GIs are supposed to be less picky about the ammo at the expense of some accuracy. Still, I would pick a nice Saiga or Vepr 308 build over a PTR91 every time. Another bad aspect of the PTR91 is the weight - almost 10 lbs! The dirt-cheap mags are nice though. Here's my baby S308:

post-10789-0-74276800-1378037977_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't trade her for any other battle rifle... at least nothing that's within the same price range.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU