I'm wondering if anybody else is noticing an increase in people, mostly retailers, who want to "see your I.D." I'm getting tired of it and said no two days in a row. On the first one I was returning something at a sporting goods store. I told him he he doesn't need to see my I.D. because this is the receipt which proves that I paid for it. He said OK thats fine and started asking for name address and telephone number. I said no again and showed him the receipt again. He refunded my money and I left.

The next day I was buying concert tickets at a Ticketmaster location inside a department store. When I handed him my credit card he asked to see I.D. I said no, your agreement with Visa requires no I.D. so....no. Then he said it was the store's policy. I said fine, I'm not buying the tickets from you, I'm buying them from Ticketmaster. He then called for a manager who said that Visa requires you to show I.D. I told him again that's not true and he looked sheepish and then said that ticketmaster requires you to show I.D. I said really? Show me anything from them that says that. He said that it will ask for I.D. somewhere in the transaction. I said OK let's go ahead with the transaction and when we get to the point where ticketmaster asks you to see my I.D. you are going to show me that on the computer screen. He and the manager both nervously looked for that and they never asked for it. They were both either lying or trying to bullshit me all along. From now on I intend to challenge anybody who asks for I.D. and make them prove they need it. I think it sets a bad precedent to have to show identification that is not is not required with the implication being that if you don't they will not give you what you want. That is a slippery slope.

• Like 2

Dogman,

I understand your point. One question, what if someone had your card and was running up thousands on it. Would you still not want them to ask for ID?

Red herring ... Federal law limits consumer credit card fraud responsibility to $50. It doesn't matter if the thief runs up $75 or $75000 the limit is still $50.

• Like 1

Dogman,

I understand your point. One question, what if someone had your card and was running up thousands on it. Would you still not want them to ask for ID?

Red herring ... Federal law limits consumer credit card fraud responsibility to $50. It doesn't matter if the thief runs up $75 or $75000 the limit is still $50.

so you would rather throw away 50 dollars on something you didn't buy, rather then the store clerk asking for ID to verify the person name on the CC matches the ID.

talk about a stupid way to throw away 50 bucks. why not send me that money rather then throw it away. I'll put it good use; cheap booze and even cheaper hookers biggrin.png

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Well the real key is the last sentence

That is a slippery slope.

So when should you have to produce ID? Is it the law that you have to for credit cards? Nope, but some cards do require it, some actually have your picture on it. Yes your liability is limited and you'd be out $50 (10 boxes of 7.62x39)

I get what Dogman is saying though, should have to show our papers every time we cross the Rhine? In some cases it would benefit everybody if ID was required, like voting for instance.

Hand sanitizer and spray paint not so much

• Like 1

I'm ok with showing ID for CC transaction, what chaps my ass is going for a fuken hairs cut and being asked eleventy six fuken questions...no..no..no..hell no, and no you don't need to sign me up, or put me in your fuken computer for anything, just cut the fuken hairs and I'll pay you, no you don't need my godamn name either I pay cash 010.gif Then they look at you like you're from another fuken planet shocked.gif pisses me off.

rant/

Now that you mention it, people ask for my ID all the time!

But that may have something to do with the fact that my CC says "See ID" in the signature field.[/quote

I do this also. And any other card that require signature on back.

Atleast half of the people that get it handed to them don't check anyways.

As far as "protecting" me from unauthorized use, that is between me and the company that issues my card. My card has no such requirement. That means the store can ask for it but I can say no and we move the hell on without getting the lying manager involved. They are injecting themselves where they have no business and I proved it. I feel MORE protected from fraud by not giving some strange punk kid who already has all my credit card information my address so he can come and steal whatever I just bought or come look for the new card in the mail when it gets close to the expiration date, which he also now has. There are a lot of scenarios and I'm just going to avoid them all if I can, which by the way, includes keeping my card from being lost or stolen. I'll be in charge of "protecting" me when I have that choice, thank you very much. A lot of fraud also comes from the guy behind the counter. If anything I should be looking at his I.D.

• Like 1

I really love that every store now wants to charge me more if I don't want my purchases tracked.

"Do you have a rewards card?"

"No."

"Would you like one?"

"No."

"It's free."

"No."

"It only takes a minute to fill out..."

"No."

"But you get all these great discounts..."

"No."

"OK then. Just give us your phone number..."

"NO!!!!"

• Like 1

Dogman,

No. I would want them to hit him over the head, but they aren't authorized to do that either. You see, it doesn't matter anyway because the thief can tell them the same thing I did and the store will still complete the transaction.

• Like 1

Dogman,

so you would rather throw away 50 dollars on something you didn't buy, rather then the store clerk asking for ID to verify the person name on the CC matches the ID.

talk about a stupid way to throw away 50 bucks. why not send me that money rather then throw it away. I'll put it good use; cheap booze and even cheaper hookers biggrin.png

Cheap booze and hookers? Well OK, but I'm going to have to see some I.D. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I bought 300 rds of 12 ga ammo yesterday at Walmart and was asked to show an ID. I was paying cash so I wasn't happy about being asked. It's not like I look like some kid or something I'm 48 friggin years old.

Dogman,

Please note $50 is the maximum allowed by law. Every card I have has $0 liability for fraudulent use. If your card doesn't offer that get a new card.

In my life I've had 2 incidents of fraudulent use. In both cases the card was duplicated, meaning I still had the card, and the fraudulent use out of state. The issuing bank caught the fraud on the second transaction. In one case the second transaction went through in the other it was blocked. In both cases the first transaction was under $10. The only bother it was to me was to take a call from bank and confirm I didn't perform the transaction and to not use that card until they sent me a new card overnight, meaning no real bother.

I bought 300 rds of 12 ga ammo yesterday at Walmart and was asked to show an ID. I was paying cash so I wasn't happy about being asked. It's not like I look like some kid or something I'm 48 friggin years old.

That's way messed up. May I ask which one? Did they say why? I've bought plenty of ammo at the one in RTP/Morrisville and they've never asked. It's been been a while though ... I wonder if this is some new policy they've decided to implement?

I work at a grocery store (going to college) and we have to ID everyone for alcohol and tobacco products. Doesn't matter if they're 80, if we don't see the ID you will be fired on the spot if you sale it to em. It also makes us randomly ID for checks as well. When it does this if you don't type in the ID number and state code you cannot complete the transaction.

I have a bass pro card, so I get cash off future purchases, after spending too much on their shit... regardless of THAT... when they ask for a phone number " for demographics" I always respond with 255-2700 !!! ( its the number to bass pro!! LOL ) some clerks get it... others just type it in like nothing is amiss LOL!!

:smoke:

I'm ok with showing ID for CC transaction, what chaps my ass is going for a fuken hairs cut and being asked eleventy six fuken questions...no..no..no..hell no, and no you don't need to sign me up, or put me in your fuken computer for anything, just cut the fuken hairs and I'll pay you, no you don't need my godamn name either I pay cash 010.gif Then they look at you like you're from another fuken planet shocked.gif pisses me off.

rant/

Hell, it's a stretch for my barber and his lady barber wife to make appointments. Of course, they've been there since 67.

Stores can garner a hell of a lot of info on people with just their Zip Code, add a PH# and they know damn near everything.

They trade all your spending habits with each other and then you can add in the info that your online shopping habits generate and its incredible.

Do you use the big Social Networking sites? LOL... They almost know you better than you know yourself.

Now, with many card purchases, e.g. 'Pay at the Pump' gas purchases, you are prompted for your Zip Code, this is a security measure as the fraudulent users aren't likely to have the info.

The bad part of this is that the retailer is usually privy to it and/or the Card Issuer sells your spending habit info.

What this boils down to is, If I have any choice in the transaction, I refuse to give Zip Code and/or Ph#, or give them false info for fun.

I've never had a retailer get persnickety about my refusal to provide it, most just enter something unknown to me, or ask me to hit the Enter button.

Tinfoil Hat... Get it on... Perhaps they are entering some code telling the Gubbermint that you're a nonconformist tinfoilhat.gif They may think its just some corporate crap. tinfoilhat.gif

That said, and returning to the OP's original rant... I tell clerks that ask for my ID on CC/Debit purchases "Thank you for asking."

Because all my cards ask them to check my ID.

Earlier tonight I walked into a local convenience store and noticed a big new sign on the door requiring I.D on all purchases with a credit or debit card. Paid cash for a gallon of milk with no I.D. required. This was after I had just put 50 dollars of gas in the truck using my card at the pump.

I always scratch the super-duper secret three digit number off the back and write see ID in the sig line.

I like 867-5309 myself!

Jenny.... My father's # is a two digit transposition of that. He's been getting calls for Jenny since the song came out.

555-1212 is another one I use.

Sometimes I also ask them what they do for people that don't have phones, and do that for me. "People without phones?" is a facial expression too.

Edited by Yeoldetool

I have a bass pro card, so I get cash off future purchases, after spending too much on their shit... regardless of THAT... when they ask for a phone number " for demographics" I always respond with 255-2700 !!! ( its the number to bass pro!! LOL ) some clerks get it... others just type it in like nothing is amiss LOL!!

000.gif

My favorite is Phone# is BR549