Saiga 7.62 converted to Galil/Valmet clone?

I have an unfired 7.62 that I tore down for a pistol grip conversion in 2005 that I just got back around to and as I was rummaging through my AK stuff found a box with a bunch of Galil/R4 parts. Was wondering if it is feasible to convert the 7.62 to a Galil/Valmet type clone and any recommendations for a competent smith. If not, I'll toss the Galil/R4 parts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tex

I have an unfired 7.62 that I tore down for a pistol grip conversion in 2005 that I just got back around to and as I was rummaging through my AK stuff found a box with a bunch of Galil/R4 parts. Was wondering if it is feasible to convert the 7.62 to a Galil/Valmet type clone and any recommendations for a competent smith. If not, I'll toss the Galil/R4 parts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tex

Not sure - show pics of the parts so we know specifically which parts, and can help determine if they'll fit or can be made to fit.

Also - don't toss parts! If you can't use them, someone else can, and will pay for them.

Ive seen it done with a norinco hunter. It's similar to a unconverted saiga except with a milled receiver. So I'm sure it can be done

Similar, but the FCG is in the normal place on a Norinco Hunter - while the Russians devised a complicated linkage, the Chinese were a little more practical, and designed a long, curved trigger.

Depends on how much you actually want it to look like a x39 Galil/Valmet.

Some things you need to know first about the Galil/Valmet and your x39 Saiga.

1. Your Saiga is a stamped sheet metal receiver design. A Galil/Valmet has a milled receiver.

2. Your Galil top cover is longer than your Saiga/AK Top cover

3. Your Galil Gas tube fits in a slot above your chamber milled into your receiver, the tube holds your top cover in place along with the tab on the rear and a light press fit with the top cover on the rear and the notch in the back of a Galil receiver. This is to help also to ensure your rear sight is as accurate as possible since the rear sight on the Galil is moved to the top cover.

4. Your Galil gas piston is longer than the gas piston on your Saiga.

5. You will either need a Galil Receiver or a notch in the bottom of your Saiga receiver to use the Galil style safety for thumb usage.

6. The rear sight sits lower on your Saiga than on a Galil, you will need that top cover rear sight if you use the Galil Gas block.

7. (uncertain) I believe that the Galil barrels are a different OD (Outer Diameter) which means to use your barrel, you may need to ditch the Galil gas block.

8. Galil stocks attach via a very tough pin directly press fitted to the rear of the receiver. You might want the Ace made look a like that even operates in the same way.

This being said, my advice is to save your Galil parts, buy a milled receiver along with a 7.62x39 Galil barrel and build it as a straight up copy.

If it's a true South African Galil, just a heads up, the lightining cut where the dimple is for AK style rifles, on a SA Galil, the cut is on both sides of the receiver. On a Israeli model it's just on one side. The later models of the SA Galils also have longer stocks to accommodate the taller lankier SA troops who often operated them.

I not only talk about the Galil, I own one. ;)

gallery_33361_710_2055935.jpg

• Like 2