If i ruin my bolt carrier converting to left side charging handle (hypothetically), can it be replaced ? Is there fitting or headspacing required?

if it's a factory bolt carrier, no fitting, don't know about the after market ones. also no to head spacing. as the name implies it's a carrier for the bolt, the bolt is what head space is measured

my advice, if you are unsure about your ability to do something like that, send it off to someone who can.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this done to a spare 5.45 rifle rifle bolt carrier of mine. Ken Kubin did it for me. He trimmed the top cover too.

My experience with swapping Kalashnikov parts has been limited, but this time, the modified bolt carrier and top cover went right on.

I saw a study on the FAL Files some years ago where the poster swapped bolt carriers (but not bolts) from many different bolt carrier makers, to see if it made any difference to headspace, and he found that it did.

I had this done to a spare 5.45 rifle rifle bolt carrier of mine. Ken Kubin did it for me. He trimmed the top cover too.

My experience with swapping Kalashnikov parts has been limited, but this time, the modified bolt carrier and top cover went right on.

I saw a study on the FAL Files some years ago where the poster swapped bolt carriers (but not bolts) from many different bolt carrier makers, to see if it made any difference to headspace, and he found that it did.

Mancat has posted fairly extensively about which 5.45 & .223 parts are compatible with which other AK variant surplus parts.If I had a problem, he'd probably be the first person I would be asking for advice on what to use and where to find it.

How is it going to be "ruined" by simply welding a left side charging handle on it? I've done lots of them. We offer it as a service. Some we leave the right hand side intact, which I prefer because it still acts as a safety feature so the bolt cannot even be cycled with it on safe. It is also nice to have the choice to charge the weapon with either hand, especially if you share the weapon with a left handed shooter. In short, anything that can be welded on, can be cut back off, and anything cut off can be welded back on. It's not as permanent as it seems.

• Like 1