I turned 60 this month and about the only thing that did for me was make it possible for me to do an in service withdrawal from my 401K with out paying a 10% penalty. So I took a chunk out to fix some stuff at the house, cars, and get dentures….

Anyway the check comes to the shop and I stop at the credit union on the way home to deposit it. Fill out a deposit slip walk up to the teller and now it’s magic time:

• She ask why I have this check?
  • Seemed odd to be asked but I said because I needed the money.
  • Now she ask how did I get the check?
  • WTF, takes me a minute to think about it before I reply (once a wise ass always a ….)
  • I got a great opportunity in an email from a guy in Nigeria (her eyes got huge)
  • pause
  • Or I sent for part of my 401 to take care of some stuff,
  • Now I ask her, which story makes more sense?
  • Now she ask if I know where the check came from?
  • Are you shitting me?
  • Yeah from the company listed on the front of it that handles my 401K.
  • This whole time she’s going over that check top to bottom, side to side, front and back.
  • Now she says there will be a 2 business day hold on it.
  • Really, I have a plane to catch to Las Vegas. No really it’s not a big deal I’m pretty sure it’s going to take the dentist a day or 2 to get me my dentures.
  • She finally takes the deposit and gives me a receipt.

Guess my looks and the dollar amount didn’t add up to her. Thought it was kind of rude treatment but I'll think about bitching to the bank after the check clears.

Soon as the wife heard I had the money she bought a new house, dog house that is for Wag seeing how he’s beat his to death jumping off and on it, shows where her priorities are.

she might have been just doing her job and trying to protect you from a scam even though there really wasn't one. they have to take them seriously. I know there are at least a few people in my town that get taken advantage of like that, not for Nigerian scams but other scams, basically the same. Putting a hold on it wasn't necessary unless imo, unless you didn't make it clear that you were joking. But yeah, it actually happens though.

I made the mistake of wise cracking at a bank a about some hundred dollar bills. She looks at them carefully and I blurted out "Of course they're real. I made them myself." Which apparently was secret code for " Have every manager in the branch come look and use their stupid marker on them all". Trying to clarify that "Made them myself" was a joke for having earned them, didn't seem to set their minds at ease. My big mouth turned a 5 minute deposit into a 30minute ordeal.

It's amazing how many people have the power to turn our daily business into an ordeal.

It's become a hobby of mine to turn their business into an ordeal every chance I get.

Just recently I started asking the teller at my wife's bank about fees. She couldn't answer any of my questions. I was insistent (not actually rude but some could construe it that way).

"My wife wrote this check. She has an account here. The money is in the account. Why do I have to pay a fee to cash it?"

The manager came running to save the teller. "She's only a teller! She doesn't set the fees!!!"

I said, "I realize she doesn't set the fees but she's the one standing here charging them. It seems reasonable that she could at least explain them. Perhaps you can explain them."

"I don't set the fees either."

"Of course you don't. But again, you're the one who sees the customer, so you're the one I have to ask."

"We don't control the fees. If you want to cash this check you have to pay the fee. You could always deposit it in your bank if you don't want to pay a fee."

"If I wanted to deposit it in my bank I'd be standing in my bank. Is there a vice president or somebody I could talk to?"

They're getting so frustrated by this time that I think they might call the police, so I just say, "Never mind. Just cash the check and take your fees."

• Like 1

Yeah I gave some thought to the concept that I look dumb enough to fall for or try to pull a scam, while insulting maybe a fair assessment (damn these ruggedly handsome good looks). Where I work and in my job it’s not a meet the public kind of thing and seeing how I’ve been here since 1995 and as far up the corporate ladder as I can go in a company of what’s now 8 employees (down from about 40 when we still ran a lot of automotive molding) we’ll just say I don’t dress for success. Old fat guy with shaggy hair and beard dressed in a t-shirt and shorts doesn’t bespeak of any real money.

I’ve run into this type stuff before and it’s always a bit of insult followed by surprise. Years ago I went to a car dealer looking at car, based on what I drove up in and how I looked the sales staff wasn’t in any hurry to talk to me. When someone finally did before we talked cars he wanted to run a credit check, thanks to my wife’s diligent efforts and maintaining a low overhead I had the 2nd highest score the guy had ever seen, now they wanted to talk cars.

Then came the real problem my big ass didn’t fit that car (Mazda Miata) I thought it was going to take the Jaws of Life to get me out of it. All bucket seats aren’t made for everyone’s buckets (I was just too big and too damn tall). This guy was now trying to sell me anything and everything on the lot. Ended up later getting an old 4X4 Chevy 1500 and had a windshield sun screen made that said “Redneck Miata”.

• Like 1

My credit union's older tellers know I'm a bit of a smartass sometimes. Been with them since '78 and last year finally got a respectable credit score. Turned 59 1/2 last June and likewise raided my IRA that I couldn't touch since I retired in 2005. Was helped by a real young cutie who must have just been out of high school. When she asked me how I wanted my money back, I said, "twenty and thirties". No BS, she looked at her drawer for a second before realizing there was no section for the thirties. Some have no sense of humor.

Yeah I gave some thought to the concept that I look dumb enough to fall for or try to pull a scam, while insulting maybe a fair assessment (damn these ruggedly handsome good looks). Where I work and in my job it’s not a meet the public kind of thing and seeing how I’ve been here since 1995 and as far up the corporate ladder as I can go in a company of what’s now 8 employees (down from about 40 when we still ran a lot of automotive molding) we’ll just say I don’t dress for success. Old fat guy with shaggy hair and beard dressed in a t-shirt and shorts doesn’t bespeak of any real money.

I’ve run into this type stuff before and it’s always a bit of insult followed by surprise. Years ago I went to a car dealer looking at car, based on what I drove up in and how I looked the sales staff wasn’t in any hurry to talk to me. When someone finally did before we talked cars he wanted to run a credit check, thanks to my wife’s diligent efforts and maintaining a low overhead I had the 2nd highest score the guy had ever seen, now they wanted to talk cars.

Then came the real problem my big ass didn’t fit that car (Mazda Miata) I thought it was going to take the Jaws of Life to get me out of it. All bucket seats aren’t made for everyone’s buckets (I was just too big and too damn tall). This guy was now trying to sell me anything and everything on the lot. Ended up later getting an old 4X4 Chevy 1500 and had a windshield sun screen made that said “Redneck Miata”.

I'm 61 own everything have a high credit score like you and love making them jump through hoops.

I avoid all such interaction as much as humanly possible. I haven't graced the threshold of a bank in probably three years. I really can't stand the fuken post office, retarded is the only word I can think of to describe the bumbling idiots in that shithole, pure fuken retarded eyes_droped.gif One of them is trying to lick his eyeball and the other one is trying to tell him that he aint doin it right, all I want is a fuken stamp wacko.png

as far as me and money or credit it's not where I'm rich or even smart by any means, what I have I owe to my wife being good with paying stuff off, being retired military gives me a few extra dollars, the wife won't let me get real stupid buying shit (a little stupid is OK), and our company has a great 401K profit sharing plan and I've been here for a while.

to me it just seems based on how you look when you walk into a business you will be treated one way or another,

dare I say it,

sure what the fuck

I might as well be black in the eyes of a lot of the people who are suppose to take care of my business.

post-26137-0-88541100-1377721190.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor

My bank tellers notify me EVERY visit, that I could be using the online banking services. I politely decline saying I don't feel comfortable with banking online. Then they tell me I can use the computer in the lobby, and how safe it is. I politely decline and point out to them that the more of us Customers who use the computer for banking, the less the bank needs Tellers like them to help people. They are promoting something that makes themselves obsolete....

Last visit to our bank, I had just left the shop, greasy as hell, dirty as hell, sweaty as hell, and probably smelt like hell. Walked in, got in line, when I got to the teller she asked me if she could help me, Yep, I need to get $2500.00 out of my savings account, she smirked like someone as nasty as me could have that much money, then asked for our account #, I said I don't know it, but here's my license. When she pulled up the account, her jaw about hit the fricking floor, she walked over and got the manager and told her "this man is trying to take out $2500.00, from this account", the manager knew my wife, but not me, so she walks up and ask me "are you Kathy's husband", I said NO, I'm her damn boyfriend, she owes me for services rendered. The manager then realized who I was, because I had only spoken to her on the phone, OKing wire transfers that the wife does for the business, and when she'd ask me if the amount being transfered was correct and to who it was going, I'd always ask her if she was still sending her boyfriend money. Best part was about 2 weeks later, the wife goes in to get a cashiers check for a little over $96,000.00 to pay off the mortgage on the house, the manger slips off to a back office, calls me and tells me she was emptying the account. I told her that no she wasn't, she got a new boyfriend and he cost more. :)

It's fun to go into somewhere all grungy and nasty to buy something high dollar, and to see how the people will treat me, I've walked out of many a place and took my money with me. You don't judge a dirty old book by it's cover, because it just may be hiding more than you think.

I avoid all such interaction as much as humanly possible. I haven't graced the threshold of a bank in probably three years. I really can't stand the fuken post office, retarded is the only word I can think of to describe the bumbling idiots in that shithole, pure fuken retarded eyes_droped.gif One of them is trying to lick his eyeball and the other one is trying to tell him that he aint doin it right, all I want is a fuken stamp wacko.png

You drive all the way up to my Post Office from Norfolk? Whenever I go on vacation, I go in to tell them to resume delivery, so they'll hold it. Our Post Office was great until they forced out the ones who knew what they were doing and replaced them with mutant clones. We live in a townhome community, and when our road was repaved, the pavers knocked down our multi unit mailbox down. It took 1 month to get it replaced. Then when the box was put up, the carrier stuffed a ton of mail in our box, along with the envelope containing our new mailbox keys. It only took 2 days for her to get them out and leave at the post office for us to pick up.

I'm pretty lucky I guess. At the bank I go to the teller knows my name even though I only go in once every other month or so. She always says hello (my name) and tells me I don't need my ID when I try and pull I it out, then asks how I am and how work (she remembers where I work too) is going. I feel like an ass because half the time I can't remember her name. She's about 65 or so and great at her job.

There is a photo of me about 4 years old sitting in a bank office. A family friend worked for the bank and my parents opened a savings account for me.

Still have an account with that bank, even though I don't live in the area. Tellers still remember me, perks of being from a small town.

Went through the drive-through yesterday. The Teller, who knows each of us by name, gave us a hard time because she's never seen the whole family together in the same car. They offered my wife a job three years ago but, she turned it down.

Small local credit unions are where it's at. The big banks can go jump off a fiscal cliff. They'll rape you with every transaction.

You guys crack me up. Keep the posts coming.

Edited by Sim_Player

My girlfriend works for our local credit union. You'd be surprised at the amount of fraudulent checks they have come through. That's why the chick was being serious with yours and the amount it was for. If she takes a check that ends up being fraudulent, without putting a hold on it to verify it, her job is toast. Period... They will walk her out the door and then she's without a job.

Not a bank story but one time at the Winn-Dixie the young casher asked me if I wanted to give a dollar to support breast cancer. I looked at her real serious and said,"Heck No I won't support breast cancer, that stuff's bad for women!" She looked at me sort of cross-eyed and then realized what happened.

My bank tellers notify me EVERY visit, that I could be using the online banking services. I politely decline saying I don't feel comfortable with banking online. Then they tell me I can use the computer in the lobby, and how safe it is. I politely decline and point out to them that the more of us Customers who use the computer for banking, the less the bank needs Tellers like them to help people. They are promoting something that makes themselves obsolete....

They are required to and hate it. The company wants to eliminate a lot of their jobs and constantly tells bank employees that they are being compared to online access and are competing for their jobs. Often they will do promotions at my bank online that offer better terms than what they can do in person. so they are required to pitch you an account that isn't as good as one that randomly is offered, but can't be requested. So the next guy in line will overhear and ask for that account and they are incapable of giving him the same deal.

My bank changed tactics about a year ago though. I think the company figured out that online sales are all driven by numbers and not loyalty, so then they reversed gears and tried to make it so every single transaction would occur at a teller's desk rather than the counter or online. That way I would get a relationship and be "guiltable." Then they are pretty much required to try to upsell me to products I don't want every time i go to get laundry change.

If your bank or credit union has a little thing they run the check through when you hand it to them the money is instantly removed from the account the check is drawn on. My credit union started the hold BS on checks over 1k last year. I have banked there for 15+ years and never an issue. Then one day I noticed looking at my business account that's at another bank that my paycheck at the credit union had cleared instantly. It used to take at least 24 hours. I asked about the check scanner thing and they said yes, no more clearing house is required like the old days. Checks clear the instant they read them.

Then not 3 weeks ago my wife takes a check from the family trust account she is trustee of to the credit union. Happens to be the same bank my business account is held. Anyway it was for a little over the hold limit and they tell her there will be a 10 day hold. Excuse me, a 10 day hold on a local check that you know damn well just cleared the bank?!! I don't think so. I went in to the credit union with a copy of the trust statement showing the check was cleared and demanded the money be released. I look at it as they are using my money for free for however many days. Sure it's not much on an individual basis but how many millions of dollars is it when you consider everyone.

Clearly the problem here was that you are not an attractive man

clearly you didn't buy into the (damn these ruggedly handsome good looks) part.unhappy.gif

while I understand part of what was done was to protect me, the teller, the bank / credit union after a point it just seemed kind of damn silly. one I was making a deposit not asking to cash it, all the young lady had to say was there would be a hold on the funds till the check cleared not play 20 questions. also chances are how I looked or what I drive didn't play into it, they more than likely have some policies and procedures that the young lady was following. it all just seemed like a good funny story.