How big a problem is this?

Finally got a chance to break down the 7.62 I picked up last month. First thing I notice when inspecting the receiver is that the barrel seems to have a big chunk missing out of it right at about 5:00 (see pic).

I'm guessing I have a big issue here. Should I address with Classic City Firearms who sold it to me or is this workable? No, I have not attempted to fire it and don't think I will with that issue.

post-40944-0-81725800-1377753216_thumb.jpg

I've seen head space gauges take chunks outa the chamber in the same place while head spacing, I don't think it will hurt anything. that being said I don't know of anyone that makes an AK barrel with "feed ramps in it". where did you get the gun?

if you've seen a head space gauge take "chunks" out of the barrel, then the barrel had to be made of pot metal. you're not suppose to slam the bolt on the gauge, that will cause the gauge to go out of spec. the way you're suppose to use it, is to put finger pressure pressure. even if you slam the bolt on it, it shouldn't take out "chunks"

Russians have been putting in feed ramps on SAIGA 7.62, 5.45, .223 barrels since importation. more then likely to do with it using a proprietary mag

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

GUYS,

THE MAIN PURPOSE I'VE FOUND FOR THE FEED RAMPS, IS SO THAT THEY WILL FEED HOLLOW POINTS.

I COULD SHOW YOU SOME PICS OF SOME REALLY GOOBERED-UP HOLLOW POINTS THAT WERE FED THROUGH NON-RAMPED AK BARRELS, AND THATS THE ONES THAT DIDN'T JUST COME TO A SCREECHIN' HALT, UP AGAINST THE BREECH FACE.

MY SGL21-76 IS RAMPED, SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT, AS ABOVE.

HOWEVER, ON A POLISH 1960, A ROMANIAN RPK, AND 4 C39 CENTURION PISTOLS, IT WAS DREMEL-TIME, BEFORE THEY'D FEED H.P.'S.

THE "FEEDING GEOMETRY", IF YOU WILL, WHEN FEEDING FROM THE LEFT HAND COLUMN OF THE MAGAZINE, PUSHES THE PROJECTILE NOSE JUST A BIT RIGHT OF CENTER, AS IT BREAKS THE PLANE OF THE BREECHFACE, ERGO, THAT'S THE REASON FOR THE SLIGHTLY OFF CENTER FEED RAMP.

JESS1344

since I don't have one with the feed ramp, I'm curious if the ramp is chrome-plated, indicating that it was done on the barrel assembly line, or if you can see that the initial chrome lining was cut into after complete assembly?

I was wondering if this is a "fix" that is done by the factory only if the completed rifle test-fails to feed HP?

I only say this because it seems to be so random. it's random enough that it seems like maybe it took a significant amount of time to do it, so it wasn't done unless deemed necessary.

my two Romanian 7.62x39 AKs have never failed to feed HP in hundreds if not thousands of HP rounds.

Edited by mancat

MANCAT,

I'M THINKING ITS POSSIBLE, THAT IF YOUR BULLET GUIDE EXTENDED FAR ENOUGH REARWARD, AND IT WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE FAR, I'M THINKING 1/64 OR 1/32, TO SUFFICIENTLY CHANGE THE FEED ANGLE, THAT A RAMP WOULDN'T BE NECESSARY.

IT WAS IN MINE, AS ENUMERATED ABOVE.

PERHAPS THE MASTER, MR. RUMORE, COULD PROVIDE SOME INSIGHTS?

JUST MY 2c.gif .

JESS1344