A few questions for anyone who has a 300 aac. Does it perform reliably? are you happy with the performance of this round so far? and any likes or dislikes of this cartridge? what is felt recoil like etc? any info is appreciated. I have read a little about this round but I trust your responces more than most. Thank you to all who respond. I meant 300 AAC in the title oops

Edited by shankkole

I don't own one, but it is the plan. I really liked the one I got to shoot, owned by a member here. Very smooth. The recoil with subsonics and a can felt like shooting a smooth AR in .223. It was easily hearing safe, and the cast bullets he was loading into trimmed .223 were costing little over the price of the primer. If you use pistol powders and have free range scrap, cost is probably less than $.05/round for 230 grain 1100 FPS ish ammo.

• Like 2

I'm intrested to see the responses to this thread...I have shot them a few times with and without a can. Fun to shoot with a can but what isn't. Didn't notice anything different in the recoil than a standard 556. We didn't have any feeding problems either. The biggest issues we had was the difference between sub and no sub on target, which is to be expected. I currently have a complete lower and all upper parts minus the barrel to build one up. I just don't know if I want another caliber in my inventory. I don't reload so for the reasons stated above I thinking of just doing another 6.8. I love that round for hunting.

Also have shot one a buddy has, and LOVE it. very little muzzle rise - much MUCH better than my .308 (duh) and at least as good, if not better, than my .223. Like it so much I am putting one together myself from the ground up - already have 2k brass ready for reloading. Also read somewhere a number of 3gun people are going to it, since a mere scrape on a target will trigger a hit, vs a .223 that will not. But since I believe everything I read on the Intertubes, I have no reason to doubt that :)

Oh... and mine will be a SBR, most likely in the 10" range.

AAC's sight said something about the 3 gun championship being won with it. I am sure it doesn't have the long range trajectory of .223, but with high velocity ammo, it would be less susceptible to wind drift, and would hit steel harder for poppers and the like.

I have read a couple different places that the ballistics of the sub 300 aac and a .45 acp are really close. I would assume that an sbr would not help the 300 any. I would consider neither a option for hunting..I guess that's why I still have a drawer full of parts...

Its shoots fine at distance if you can get your hold over right. I own an aac 9 inch it has more blast and recoil than a 16 inch midlength in 556. I really like but it really is a bad time to try to buy factory ammo. Also with reloads you really have to get them accurate because the MV Standard deviation with throw you way off at 500 yards. A difference of 50 FPS could mean missing by feet.

I say if you cast and reload its no question you need this caliber unless you like the ak platform cause then you should just buy an ak. 762x39 is about the same thing only the blackout works in an ar better.

Also if you cut down 556 cases you will need to anneal because you cut the part of the case that was annealed at the factory. I had very poor bullet tension on lots of the first cases I did. I annealed them and sized them again and that went away.

Critterkiller would you consider the 30-30 a no go for hunting. And im guessing you in south Carolina id say a 300 blk would be a fine choice for hunting anything you have in your area.

30-30 wouldn't be my choice for hunting either...I hunt a lot of ag fields so shots out to 300 yds are possible...You forgetting about the big hogs...300+ lbs. Saw a guy few weeks ago drop a 320 lb boar @ 80 yds with a 30-06 180 gr corelock. Hit it behind the ear no exit wound. Those big boys are tanks.

Edited by sccritterkiller

I really like the x39, which is why I am building a couple of 300BLK's. Its basically identical ballistics, but has many, many modern bullets available. I feel x39 has more potential, but cheap steel-cased russian import ammo keeps good companies from jumping in that market. Something like a Barnes TAC-TX with a round/charge developed for the case capacity of x39, and I would sell off my 300BLKs.

Well, maybe. The 'Mens Lego' factor is kinda fun too.

• Like 1

I am seriously skeptical about "better" cartridges but this one has serious advantages. I have never liked a 22 bullet for anything bigger than a coyote.

Saying that sub 300blk hits no harder than a 45acp is somewhat pointless since sub loads are special purpose. The standard 300blk loads have excellent ballistics for an AR platform.

I prefer my rifle bullets in 0.30" and my pistol bullets in 0.45". A 300blk upper is on my list.

I predict the commercial ammo availability/price will improve soon.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I got a 9in. barrel 300 blk..it's in pistol configuration.

Someday I'll get it papered... Most of my reloads are between 130gr and 150gr supersonic... 200 yards right

on target.. The difference is like .40s&w ( snappy)

and .45acp (push)

From my understanding the difference between say

a 9 in barrel and 16 is 100/150 fps and accuracy is

negligible... I love the versatility even though I haven't

gone subsonic... yet.

• Like 1

I have read a couple different places that the ballistics of the sub 300 aac and a .45 acp are really close. I would assume that an sbr would not help the 300 any. I would consider neither a option for hunting..I guess that's why I still have a drawer full of parts...

Mass and velocity, yes, but that's only part of the story.

I just recently built one. I used a spikes lower, DPMS LPK, and AAC 12.5" complete upper that was on sale. It is currently in pistol configuration until the tax stamp for the SBR and AAC Suppressor comes in. Total build cost with parts I already had was about $950, although there are cheaper options with just a barrel swap out there.

IMHO this caliber is a reloader's dream. Supersonic loads are on par with 7.62/39. Suppressed loads are very mild with regards to recoil. The answer to the question "Why this when you can just shoot 7.62x39" is the versatility of different loading options. The ability to use standard 5.56 parts and magazines for rifle maintenance over time is also a big plus for me.

The only draw back at this time is the availability/price of factory ammunition and the premium upcharge on the barrel over a standard 5.56. I think this will change with time. If not I have plenty of 5.56 brass that I can cut down, size and reload. I reload .308 already so I have a ready supply of 150 gr plinking rounds up to 208 gr AMAX for subsonics.

To get started I bought 500 rounds of 147 gr 300 BLK from Freedom for $335. It was painful to pay that much, but I figure I can get at least 4-5 reloads out of them and I would save myself the work of cutting down and trimming the 5.56 cases. Plus the necks were already annealed unlike the cut down 5.56 cases. For me the difference in cost was worth the initial time and effort saved.

post-37530-0-04358200-1378301104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lookin good! what was`it on sale for? those things seem real expensive when aacs name is on it....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938614/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl309-230-5r-30-caliber-309-diameter-230-grain-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

and the 180

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107571/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c309-180-r-30-caliber-309-diameter-180-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

i would like to be able to work up loads for the 308 and the blk... 230 less to no data on, the 180 more so, in 308

• Like 1

To get started I bought 500 rounds of 147 gr 300 BLK from Freedom for $335. It was painful to pay that much, but I figure I can get at least 4-5 reloads out of them and I would save myself the work of cutting down and trimming the 5.56 cases. Plus the necks were already annealed unlike the cut down 5.56 cases. For me the difference in cost was worth the initial time and effort saved.

It's simple enough to anneal your cut cases.

• Like 1

lookin good! what was`it on sale for? those things seem real expensive when aacs name is on it....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938614/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl309-230-5r-30-caliber-309-diameter-230-grain-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

and the 180

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107571/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c309-180-r-30-caliber-309-diameter-180-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

i would like to be able to work up loads for the 308 and the blk... 230 less to no data on, the 180 more so, in 308

The upper was $859 shipped. After looking at the components....nickel boron bcg, knights armament URX 3.1 forearm, (which I love by the way), and the AAC 51T flash suppressor already threaded for the can, I couldn't have built it for that.

As for the molds, those are awesome. Casting may be something else gun related that I will need to get into. Thanks so much for the links.

It's simple enough to anneal your cut cases.

Just googled annealing brass. Shame on me for not doing it sooner. It does seen simple enough, just a little time consuming. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

I have been toying at modding out a qwik trim to work like a ghetto dillon trimmer and do just that. other than cost, the advantage is that it deburrs while trimming.

The other thing I have had in mind is buying a spare priming assembly and welding it up and reshaping to be an on-press primer pocket swager. This would be even simpler on a turret or single stage press. Upstroke forms the brass, downstroke uniforms the primer pocket...