Very informative link Darth. Thanks

I found that article years ago and I was amazed at how much information was in it.

The info in that article is so good I saved the whole thing to my computer in case it's ever taken down.

• Like 1

good plan. I do that a lot too. I've lost so much good technical data. People with the best info get pestered until they are fed up and quit. - I'm glad for the recent stuff from Jack and a couple other revivals of good info here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed Freedom Munitions has 147gr reman loads for $318/500.

I picked some up. I knew it was remanufactured, but there is a lot of inconsistency in the primer crimps. It is cut down Lake City brass all '12-'13 with annealed necks. I am sure it will be fine for plinking, but if you buy it with the idea of reloading the brass you will likely be disappointed. Some primers have the typical lake city type crimp and some have a 4 point deep staked primers. I assume the reason for the variation is that some of the primer pockets may have loosened up.

post-37530-0-31497400-1379342710_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At the range today the guy next to me was shooting a suppressed 300AAC with subsonic ammo.  Pretty effing cool.

Full length? SBR?  I just submitted my Form4 for a 7.62 Suppressor exactly for this reason. With the right setup, a suppressed .300AAC is no louder than a suppressed .22 - at least according to the Internet and YouTube  021.gif

It was full length.  I can't say if it was louder than a suppressed 22 but it was damn quiet.  Of course I was shooting a 300 mag and the guy 2 benches down was shooting a 338 so maybe it just seemed quiet.  :lol:

AA 1680 just came back in stock at Midway. Got an 8 lb jug coming for the express purpose of loading up some subs with 208 gr AMAX. I doubt my 12.5" will cycle them properly until my can arrives, but I really liked the versatility of the powder for both subs and higher velocities with heavier bullets in the 300 BLK. Should be fun working up different loads.

I should add that the Freedom Munitions stuff that I posted a pic of above performed very well with no issues what-so-ever when I got to the range last weekend.

Curious.....

Do you think you could hand load a 7.62x39 with a heavier projectile that would approximate the 300?

If you are talking subsonics, yes, but the question is whether it would cycle the gas system.

Curious.....

Do you think you could hand load a 7.62x39 with a heavier projectile that would approximate the 300?

If you are talking subsonics, yes, but the question is whether it would cycle the gas system.

The lack of availability of suitable bullets is a major problem.  If you're going to reload the 300AAC makes more sense due to the great variety of 308 bullets available, and the fact that 223 brass is cheap.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Well I resisted the 300bo bug as long as I could.  I was planning to buy my wife a Sig MPX but I decided to build her a 300bo pistol instead.  And since I ordered 3 stripped lowers maybe I'll build myself one too.

• Like 2

A year since I posted here, and I still cant find cheap plinking ammo. sad.png

I love my 16" but it basically sits in my closet while I take out my AKs. Remington has been promising cheap ammo, but it's yet to arrive. This round is developing the opposite problem as 7.62x39, amazing defense rounds but no cheap target ammo.

Now if Wolf gets on board, like they did with 6.8, we'll be in the money.

I kinda want to ditch it, but then I see the ballistics out of short barrels and fall in love all over again. I need to build a pistol next, or maybe even SBR it.

The combination of the performance of the blackout in a short barrel with the Sig brace makes the AR pistol a very strong option.  I was never remotely interested in AR pistols in 5.56

Cheapest I've found for blackout is 58 cents a round for new production.  That's better than a dollar a round not that long ago.

Maybe this will be my incentive to get my rl550b out of storage.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

It's under .22 territory lately. Subsonics in 300BO are basically the same recipes as 45 ACP, but using a small rifle primer. Not that I am advocating just using 45 ACP data.- Just saying it tends to be the same stuff in similar amounts, so the costs are comparable. 

I wouldn't want to run lead without polycoat in a DI gun though.

I'm working to get a 300 BO gun as fast as soon as I can.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has an AR sbr in that caliber and I've shot it. Not really impressive if you ask me. There are some obvious advantages to the round but really all that has been accomplished is an American equivalent to the 7.62 x 39 has been made.

I'm a big fan of x39 but I see the advantages of 300bo.

Designed for subsonic and supersonic both. Subsonic x39 is practically nonexistent.

Dozens of bullet weights and designs available. x39 very limited bullet selection.

Uses standard AR magazines and bolts. This is obviously only an issue if you're using an AR.

Brass can easily be made from common 5.56 brass.

You may not think these things matter but the round is taking off because it does offer advantages. It is now the second most popular round for the AR and it is only going to grow.

Let me add that there is a big disadvantage that comes with the advantages. 300bo can be chambered in 5.56 guns with catastrophic results. For me I'll be using only black mags in black guns for 5.56 and fde mags in fde guns for 300bo.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Blackout doesn't drop in a 5.56 chamber but dropping the bolt on a blackout can ram the bullet back into the case, allowing the bolt to close.

You will be lucky if you just lose a rifle.

• 1 month later...

As I am now a blackout owner, and more of you are also joining the club, here is a little reminder to watch which ammo you put in your 556 guns. My rules are color coding gun and mags. Color is FDE for blackout. FDE gun, FDE mags. And never have both calibers on the firing line at the same time.

5.56 will not chamber in a 300bo.

A few images I skimmed from the interwebs of 300bo in a 5.56 gun.

post-4831-0-53496300-1418571600_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-69303600-1418571609_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-91829100-1418571618_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-15141800-1418571632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus

I'm a big fan of x39 but I see the advantages of 300bo.

Designed for subsonic and supersonic both. Subsonic x39 is practically nonexistent.

Dozens of bullet weights and designs available. x39 very limited bullet selection.

Uses standard AR magazines and bolts. This is obviously only an issue if you're using an AR.

Brass can easily be made from common 5.56 brass.

You may not think these things matter but the round is taking off because it does offer advantages. It is now the second most popular round for the AR and it is only going to grow.

Let me add that there is a big disadvantage that comes with the advantages. 300bo can be chambered in 5.56 guns with catastrophic results. For me I'll be using only black mags in black guns for 5.56 and fde mags in fde guns for 300bo.

+ uses a huge variety of commonly available .308" & .309" projectiles compared to the .311" & .312" "Fat 30" bullets the ruskies and the brits use. Way more options without sacrificing accuracy.