Conversion builders- can o' worms

At the potential risk of opening the proverbial can of worms, I am nevertheless humbly requesting insight. Can anyone specify the inherent difference between an IZ 132 conversion built by Legion USA and TAC 47?

I realize both are merchants here, but I am considering purchasing a converted 7.62 and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these folks. Any insight is appreciated.

Why not just do it yourself? It literally takes 30 minutes to do the PG conversion.

The hardest part is getting the stock to fit and if you have a pistol grip with a long bolt, that is a little tricky to line up. Other than that its way over hyped. I just did my first one and I didn't even have a vise. I used a c-clamp with two pieces of wood. Other tools used were: a hand drill, a dremmel, a screw driver, hammer and a punch.

Edited by carl_g

Why not just do it yourself? It literally takes 30 minutes to do the PG conversion.

The hardest part is getting the stock to fit and if you have a pistol grip with a long bolt, that is a little tricky to line up. Other than that its way over hyped. I just did my first one and I didn't even have a vise. I used a c-clamp with two pieces of wood. Other tools used were: a hand drill, a dremmel, a screw driver, hammer and a punch.

I would love to see a picture of your gun if it only took 30 minutes to convert.

My builds take much longer. But then the rivets are shaved clean, hammer propery profiled and trimmed for the BHO inculding counter sinking the hammer axis pin hole, bolt hold slotted for the spring,

30 minutes ......yeabeaten.gif

• Like 1

I would love to see a picture of your gun if it only took 30 minutes to convert.

My builds take much longer. But then the rivets are shaved clean, hammer propery profiled and trimmed for the BHO inculding counter sinking the hammer axis pin hole, bolt hold slotted for the spring,

30 minutes ......yeabeaten.gif

OK maybe 45 minutes total work and a night for the paint to dry.. I bought the trigger assembly already modified for the BHO. Not to start a pissing match but this work was child's play. Now the full front end conversion, I'll get back to you on in a week or so as my parts haven't gotten here yet.

Here are some pictures. Let me know if you need more detailed ones.

9583704542_57b77b8866_c.jpg

9580919831_9059145868_c.jpg

Looks good, but considering you bought a pre fabbed trigger guard & FCG its easy to do it in 45 minutes.

Since you use SGM mags I'm going to guess you have no bullet guide and haven't filed the mag catch....again easy to do in 45 minutes.

TAC47 welds holes shut, duracoats the weapon,welds the bullet guide, test fires, and warranties their work.

Edited by Jet
  • Like 1

Thanks for the insight on TAC 47, Jet. The more I research, they seem to come out on top. I got an estimate from them on the "wish list" I sent with some good feedback on some things overlooked. I will ask them about wait time. I would do it myself as carl-g suggested but ... no time + no experience = no positive expectations. Besides, the less time I spend tearing it apart / tearing it up ... is more time I can spend on the range! Thanks!!

Since you use SGM mags I'm going to guess you have no bullet guide and haven't filed the mag catch....again easy to do in 45 minutes.

Yeah I live in NJ and they have a 15 round limit. So dealing with pinning mags and the bs that's involved with that led to my descion to go with the SGM's. If I ever move to a free state, i'll then install a bullet guide and run real ak mags. Edited by carl_g

Yeah I live in NJ and they have a 15 round limit. So dealing with pinning mags and the bs that's involved with that led to my descion to go with the SGM's. If I ever move to a free state, i'll then install a bullet guide and run real ak mags.

same here, dirty jerzy sucks!

Looks good, but considering you bought a pre fabbed trigger guard & FCG its easy to do it in 45 minutes.

I suppose you machine yours from bar stock? But that would be cheating because you'd still be using pre-fabbed steel.

• Like 1

I suppose you machine yours from bar stock? But that would be cheating because you'd still be using pre-fabbed steel.

Reuse the factory TG which is a bitch to separate from the weld for most newbies on here, Don't even bother drilling them anymore.Takes all of two minutes (including finding the tools) and saves $20 to boot.

My point is a newby can't do a good build in the 30 minutes as "carlg" stated......he later sheepishly admitted more like 45 minutes. Easy to do if your parts are pre-modded out of a box and you don't paint it.haha.gif

Edited by Jet

Reuse the factory TG which is a bitch to separate from the weld for most newbies on here, Don't even bother drilling them anymore.Takes all of two minutes (including finding the tools) and saves $20 to boot.

My point is a newby can't do a good build in the 30 minutes as "carlg" stated......he later sheepishly admitted more like 45 minutes. Easy to do if your parts are pre-modded out of a box and you don't paint it.:haha2:

Sorry. I didn't read the memo that it you weren't cool unless you reused the OG trigger guard.

I still think it only took 30 minutes total to do what I did including paint. I also stated I did not install a bullet guide due to the shitty laws I am forced to abide by. I was trying to save the guy some money. It's not hard to do the PG conversion. I'll take ammo all day long vs paying someone to do it.

My point is a newby can't do a good build in the 30 minutes as "carlg" stated......he later sheepishly admitted more like 45 minutes. Easy to do if your parts are pre-modded out of a box and you don't paint it.haha.gif

Sorry. I didn't read the memo that it you weren't cool unless you reused the OG trigger guard.

I still think it only took 30 minutes total to do what I did including paint. I also stated I did not install a bullet guide due to the shitty laws I am forced to abide by. I was trying to save the guy some money. It's not hard to do the PG conversion. I'll take ammo all day long vs paying someone to do it.

Don't try to distract from the point......much easier to do a PG conversion(without paint) in 45 minutes with pre modified parts.

The memo has nothing to with being cool......you aren't cool because you keep changing the storybad_smile.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Don't try to distract from the point......much easier to do a PG conversion(without paint) in 45 minutes with pre modified parts.

I believe the point is that it can be done at home in much less time than it'll take for a company to do it for you. Doesn't matter what parts you use or how you do it, it'll be always be quicker at home, and just as acceptable.

Edited by Inebriated

I believe the point is that it can be done at home in much less time than it'll take for a company to do it for you. Doesn't matter what parts you use or how you do it, it'll be always be quicker at home, and just as acceptable.
It's all about fit and finish. The tac47 trigger guard is part of the mag release, like a factory AK trigger guard, then a safety stop is riveted to the gun, the pistol grip hole is milled, and the holes are welded, blended to a finish that you cannot tell they were ever there. Then a five step blast, parkerize, and Teflon baked in finish that is patented. You cannot do that at home, you can't even come close. Home builds are nice, yes, but a tac47 is the Ferrari of conversions.

It's all about fit and finish. The tac47 trigger guard is part of the mag release, like a factory AK trigger guard, then a safety stop is riveted to the gun, the pistol grip hole is milled, and the holes are welded, blended to a finish that you cannot tell they were ever there. Then a five step blast, parkerize, and Teflon baked in finish that is patented. You cannot do that at home, you can't even come close. Home builds are nice, yes, but a tac47 is the Ferrari of conversions.

Of course you're almost guaranteed to get a better-finished product from them, but that does not equate to a better-working product. I agree though, they're fantastic conversions.