What's your MKA weigh?

That's what everyone say's...but that never made any sense to me. If you put something in motion with a force, the heavier the object is the more force it excerts against whatever it is pressing against. It may be that the heavier the gun is, it takes more force to get it moving...so that's why there is less recoil. I'm no scientist, but that's what I think.

That's what everyone say's...but that never made any sense to me. If you put something in motion with a force, the heavier the object is the more force it excerts against whatever it is pressing against. It may be that the heavier the gun is, it takes more force to get it moving...so that's why there is less recoil. I'm no scientist, but that's what I think.

That's about what I was thinking.

Goes back to Force=mass x acceleration.

If we keep the weight of the gun constant and use the same loads each time, the force will remain constant. By increasing the mass, the acceleration (felt recoil) decreases.

But as a competition shooter, I'm not so much concerned with recoil as I am about muzzle rise.

In an open pistol with all the bells and whistles (those with a compensator and/or ports cut into the top of the barrel) we try to tune our loads to minimize sight movement.

Minimum Power Factor to make Major in USPSA is 165. Folks with older style comps, designed when the Power Factor was 175, discovered that they could reduce the amount of powder used and still make Major. Decreasing the amount of powder will decrease recoil but the reduction in gas results in more muzzle rise. So to minimize that muzzle rise, we put up with increased recoil. (Or try to find a new combination of bullets and powder to meet out goals.)

Bill

Getting off topic, but a humorous look at the effects of recoil.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/21/

I guess I'm spending too many dollars at the local Redbox. We watched a movie last week (I think it was either "Recall" or "Dredd") where the star was in a weightless environment and used a submachine gun for propulsion to float away from the enemy including a hard right turn down a hallway.

I guess the Russians and Hollywood uses the same sources for ideas.

Back on topic,

mine weighs 9# 8oz

F93 stock/stock adapter

Full length side charger forend , top bottom and 2 side rails

vertical grip

Eotech XPS

Shell stop

Bad lever

over size mag release

Breacher choke

Ergo original grip/grip adapter

Trigger , disco, hammer

Piston ,Guide rod

adding a comp tomorrow +6oz

2 coupled mags with +1 base's and 24 rounds ammo add 4# 6oz

or so depending on ammo

SOOO close to

14# ready to ROCK-n- ROLLsuper_man.gif

I would love to see someone make a carbon fiber forearm...it would cut the weight dramatically. The only thing I have noticed from the stock gun is the target to target transition has to be much more controlled with the extra weight swinging around...I sometimes overshoot my mark, a little less weight would help that alot.

I would love to see someone make a carbon fiber forearm...it would cut the weight dramatically. The only thing I have noticed from the stock gun is the target to target transition has to be much more controlled with the extra weight swinging around...I sometimes overshoot my mark, a little less weight would help that alot.

Salem 6 does make a molded/injected forearm that is lighter. Has the option of adding weaver rails in a few different spots so you can change weight characteristics some...

I have one on mine and so far its doing decent.

• 4 weeks later...