Destructive Devices what's out there?

Most of us are familiar with certain kinds of Destructive Devices such as the "non-sporting" shotguns, 40mm launchers, mortar tubes, and some even have howitzers or antitank guns. The question I have is that grenades, bombs, poison gas, and rockets are all listed in the federal description of destructive devices. Does this mean that HE rounds, pipe bombs, grenades, rocket launchers, and even chemical munitions are legal if registered? If so is it only in theory and not practice? Has any one ever seen a civilian using registered grenades, HE rounds, etc...? I'm really curious about this for I have never seen them outside of my time in the army.

• 3 weeks later...

at one time I was considering doing a ATF form 1 to take my de-milled RPG 7 and make it functional.  but then the whole thing of, where am I going to get non-explosive training rockets from? and that quickly ended that idea.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

No Son, I ain't bad, but the Bad don't fuck with me, if that'll answer your question. You come here asking about DD's and you list the things you did, give me a break, even my 12 year old grand daughter knows better. I wasn't knocking you for serving, that's if you really do, but to ask the question that you did, about the things you did, tends to make one wonder about the person asking the questions.

So to answer your questions, make all the grenades, pipe bombs, rocket launchers, and chemical munitions that you feel you need, then file the proper forms with the BATFE and wait for them to be approved, and in while you are waiting for your answer from them, I can give you my old DD's phone # so that maybe the two of you could hook up, and Yes, grow a thicker skin or atleast learn to see when someone is pissing on your leg, while telling you it's raining. Do I need to explain any further???????????????????????????

To a certain degree, yes you may own almost anything you want with the proper licensing and storage facilities. You must have not only your FFL but additional licensing if you wish to have explosives and even further for the other munitions you listed.

I one found a RPG-7 for sale with training rockets however, no live ordnance rockets.  I once had dreams of owning a hand grenade, but storage requirements made this impossible.  Likewise, I would love to have a 40mm for my AR15 but again if I cant have HEPD rounds why bother, right?

Semper Fi,

Gunny NR

• 2 weeks later...

you can make all the excuses for your lack of manners you want it still doesn't give you a pass.  I was wondering because every time I have ever read the DD definition explosive munitions are always in there but I have never ever seen any civilian with anything like that.  It begs the question are there other statues prohibiting them?  Why would you even be suspicious about that question?  If it's registered who cares?  You have no problem showing a picture of your SBR or MG do you?  Apparently being curious here is a bad thing?  Oh and I already have a lady at home one is enough to please!