New Tromix Muzzle Brake (pic)

Along these same lines...I'm curious about putting the following brake on my S12. I have extended choke tubes, so how would I go about getting this brake threaded and my chokes threaded to match? Machine shop? Or gun smith? Or what? Any ideas? Thanks!

post-1804-1135742790.gif

SR71, that's a cool looking little F'er. What's it mounted on? I still have questions about form vs function

on shotties though. I'm always looking for something that looks cool, but there hasn't really been a whole lot done on the s12 to help with performance. A while back there was a discussion about how effective brakes were on a 12ga shotgun, at the time the opinion seemed to be, not much due to the much lower pressure generated in a shotgun barrel vs a rifle. The Finnish guys seemed to get the highest marks for their "tank" or "50cal bolt action" style brake that dirrected the gas backwards to help offset the recoil. Can anyone expand on any of this? Tony makes some badass looking shit and looks to have a lot of thought into them, if he's going to do this, might as well get the most out of it.

SR71, that's a cool looking little F'er. What's it mounted on? I still have questions about form vs function

on shotties though. I'm always looking for something that looks cool, but there hasn't really been a whole lot done on the s12 to help with performance. A while back there was a discussion about how effective brakes were on a 12ga shotgun, at the time the opinion seemed to be, not much due to the much lower pressure generated in a shotgun barrel vs a rifle. The Finnish guys seemed to get the highest marks for their "tank" or "50cal bolt action" style brake that dirrected the gas backwards to help offset the recoil. Can anyone expand on any of this? Tony makes some badass looking shit and looks to have a lot of thought into them, if he's going to do this, might as well get the most out of it.

Supposedly good shotgun muzzle brake manufacturers are claiming a 15% to 25% reduction in recoil. A new type of tactical muzzle brake is needed for the S12. Something that works as well as the (tank) type but fits the profile of the S12 better. For competition shooting, some go to great length's including using mecury filled tubes or hydraulic buttstocks to reduce recoil. There's a simple invention out there just waiting to happen for the S12. It has to be bad looking and it has to work. Thats my motto for anything that goes on an S12.

Edited by TacticalResponse

I took everyone's input and drew up another brake, but I couldn't machine it today, I have other guns here for conversions that need to go out first, then I will get back on the brake. I owe it to the customers that have guns in-house to turn them quickly before working on R&D. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
Made up this little gem today.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=358657

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

Nice looking brake. One small commentary, especially if you haven't alrerady begun making a big bunch of them already: I got tired of commercially available brakes that were made by folks the didn't have a clue about brake technology or theory, so I spent about a year researching brake theory and the physics of what makes a brake work, and work well. I started making my own either from scratch, or usually by modifying existing brakes.

There's two kinds of recoil that guns generally produce: 1) the recoil of the projectile(s) traveling down the barrel. That recoil is imutable--carved in stone. Only loads and projectile weight can alter that form of recoil. Then there is 2) inertial recoil. That is the reciol that comes from an 8 lb gun trying to continue on its way after the projectile's recoil. Muzzle brakes address the second, or inertial recoil, and if properly designed it can shut it down early after the projectile leaves the barrel.

Yours will send gas to the sides, which will have the effect of reducing the enertial recoil of the gun. Sending gasses slightly rearward will provide a forward thrust to the gun and shut the inertyial recoil down early, and quickly. Your side ports are big. So much so that they will probably steal some of the effectiveness of the top ports, which are a good idea for addressing climb--another function of inertial recoil. If you make the actual holes in the side ports a bit smaller, the top ports will work on climb better. Also, if you angle the side port baffles backward slightly, the brake will work much, much better. I presume you have seen the Barrett .50-style comp that the Finns put on their Saiga 12s. That puppy allows them to shoot competitively while looking like they are shooting a .22 rifle. (or maybe a 9 mm rifle). You have top ports that they do not have, so yours will work even better than theirs if you angle back the baffles a tad. Again, good job. Just my $.02

Very nice SR71. Is that the Rusmilitary front sight/flash hider model?

RonSwin

This is ASD-AST 4 ,the elevated steel front sight with the complex barrel device is designed to improve shooting accuracy for the "Saiga-12" smoothbore hunting carbine. The complex barrel device diminishes the shot flare and partially controls the overturning moment. Comes with the flare suppressor, the setscrews, and the adjusting spanner.http://www.prodiz.ru/katalog/katalog1.html (no pic)

Edited by SR71

Yes slanted vents, teeth and OEM threads. Taper the rear and make the teeth extra deep for that real nasty look. Make it as bad looking as possible.

hahaha you guys are a trip! tony, how about you make one that looks something like this???

knives_fantasy_griffyn.jpg

DAMN! I knew I should have had Tony put on a bayonet lug! :angel:

would the weapon moving fwd affect the cycling of the action? you know, the momentum of the bolt moving rearward and all that?

If the weapon is braked, it helps cycling. I'm sure you've heard of "limp-wristing" with pistols that causes a misfire. Same principle with any semi-auto weapon. If the gun has a way of absorbing too much recoil by being cushioned, it can cause the bolt to blow back short of the extractor and cause a misfeed. By having the gun move forward or not move backwards due to a brake, the gun will be more stationary and the bolt can go back even more effectively helping cycling. You can shoot faster with less recoil and less jams.

Edited by AegisDei

Very nice SR71. Is that the Rusmilitary front sight/flash hider model?

RonSwin

This is ASD-AST 4 ,the elevated steel front sight with the complex barrel device is designed to improve shooting accuracy for the "Saiga-12" smoothbore hunting carbine. The complex barrel device diminishes the shot flare and partially controls the overturning moment. Comes with the flare suppressor, the setscrews, and the adjusting spanner.http://www.prodiz.ru/katalog/katalog1.html (no pic)

I'd buy one from them but where are the prices?