Is the FAB KPOS a SBR or an AOW

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent answers already given. As pictured, a SBR and $200 TS. Remove the buttstock only; AOW and a $5.00 TS. Remove the buttstock AND vertical foregrip....maybe, (depends) maybe a pistol and no TS. IMHO only and I may be dead wrong. HB of CJ (old coot)

Any removals would have to be made permanent, particularily the folding buttstock, like grinding off the bosses or hinges. I am not sure about mounts regarding removing/installing the vertical foregrip. If you do not, then you MAY have intent. Again...I may not be correct.

Our local cool Class 3 gunshop has one on the wall. He says it is accurate. Very cool to fondle and stuff. Be fun to shoot. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Excellent answers already given. As pictured, a SBR and $200 TS. Remove the buttstock only; AOW and a $5.00 TS. Remove the buttstock AND vertical foregrip....maybe, (depends) maybe a pistol and no TS. IMHO only and I may be dead wrong. HB of CJ (old coot)

Any removals would have to be made permanent, particularily the folding buttstock, like grinding off the bosses or hinges. I am not sure about mounts regarding removing/installing the vertical foregrip. If you do not, then you MAY have intent. Again...I may not be correct.

Our local cool Class 3 gunshop has one on the wall. He says it is accurate. Very cool to fondle and stuff. Be fun to shoot. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

The "manufacture" of an AOW is a $200 stamp. The transfer to another party AFTER initial manufacture is only $5.

The act of attaching the VFG legally is manufacturing the AOW. Before that it's just a pistol.

My question is how you make this SBR made of an Austrian pistol with a shitload of Israeli parts in to one that is 922r compliant?

Not sure if it qualifies as an "assault weapon" to invoke 922r. Folding stock, pistol grip - not sure if that's technically a barrel shroud. With a threaded barrel, it would trigger 922r.

My question is how you make this SBR made of an Austrian pistol with a shitload of Israeli parts in to one that is 922r compliant?

Not sure if it qualifies as an "assault weapon" to invoke 922r. Folding stock, pistol grip - not sure if that's technically a barrel shroud. With a threaded barrel, it would trigger 922r.
Well, you are making technically, a rifle with a pistol grip and folding stock, that has a detachable mag that can hold more than ten rounds so you just made an unsporting rifle if I am correct. Plus the issue of whether or not the shroud is considered a flash hider or not could add or subtract from the foreign parts count. It certainly isn't a brake. If it is a brake like on an imported PSL for example, it's okay from what I understand. I am awaiting a reply from the Tech Branch whether or not the shroud on a PPS-43 SBR is considered a flash hider to get my parts count legal. It too, doesn't appear to be a brake but the ATF MAY consider it to be a flash hider although it doesn't hide much flash. I'd be curious what the guys at the Tech Branch have to say in regards to the KPOS as it is all foreign parts. Edited by MT Predator
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know the parts count applied to NFA items. I'm not doubting ya'lls knowledge on the matter but I've heard there was an ATF letter that declared just that. However, I've also heard that the ATF can ignore their own rulings and prosecute you anyways. I hope that isn't true but in these days there is no telling with the goon squad.

I didn't know the parts count applied to NFA items. I'm not doubting ya'lls knowledge on the matter but I've heard there was an ATF letter that declared just that. However, I've also heard that the ATF can ignore their own rulings and prosecute you anyways. I hope that isn't true but in these days there is no telling with the goon squad.

There have been conflicting opinion letters - unless you've personally received one saying you do not need to be 922r compliant, it's wisest to be conservative.