Neat but the NRA is something I've been wary of for a while.

I'm curious about what you are wary of, their "politics", quality of their training, etc.? I have 3 NRA instructor certifications and Range Safety Officer and 1 state instructor cert (CWP) but I'm open minded. The NRA has it's faults but I have no doubt that on balance we're all better off as gun owners and gun rights supporters because of the NRA.

Not looking to start a pissing contest, I'm genuinely curious.

I might just have my head in the sand but Yes mostly their politics. There are many reasons people out there more eloquently describe than I can.

It be nice but they are also a lot of rich snobs that I personally can't stand to deal with being a poor hick.

Back on topic I guess I'm not qualified to help in this thread.

Neat but the NRA is something I've been wary of for a while.

The NRA has it's faults but I have no doubt that on balance we're all better off as gun owners and gun rights supporters because of the NRA.

Now on this they have been known to not take cases that weren't important enough to them and they let the ball drop on McDonald until another org picked it up if I remember correct. Edited by beefcakeb0

I am an NRA instructor, have a small range that i started with a buddy, and am getting ready to make bigger range so that we can do more than just basic courses.

We just got the small range ready and held our first basic handgun course. This was not an NRA course, but adapted from it. We had a family, a very liberal family, come out with their 14 year old daughter. They had decided to purchase a handgun, because of a lot of shady people moving into their neighborhood, and wanted a course on safety and how to use it. These people had never even fired a handgun and the daughter was afraid of it... So afraid that she didnt even want to pick it up at the start.

They purchase an EEA Windicator .357/.38 revolver. It helped us a lot that we were able to have another of the same gun for demonstration purposes. We had them run 100 rounds through the pistol at 7 yards. By the time the course was over, they were all shooting a decent group at that distance and having a lot of fun. The girl who was afraid was actually disappointed when the course was over and was ready to go buy more ammo lol! At the end of the course, we showed them a couple rifles and other pistols. Even the dreaded "assault rifles"... They were full of questions and thought that the AR's you can pick up anywhere were full auto machine guns.... After we had an in depth conversation about such things, they are looking at purchasing an AR or AK. Lol!

I enjoy doing this stuff as much as I enjoy going out shooting. It takes time, but it's well worth it to me. Especially if i get to help convert someone. Oh and it pays too! Not gonna get rich by any means but the extra cash here and there is great. So is the feeling of accomplishment after conducting a course that people really take something away from.

• Like 3

NRA and other endorsements. Trained formally and private. Best time is also taking 1st time buyers or those who have never handled firearms. These persons I do free, (most of my time is volunteer)even bring along some of my personal weapons. Like dayofruin, people are amazed, and some even get to thinking they have been lied to for a long time. A couple young ladies I first taught years ago at an open house, get acquainted with firearms course, saw at a concealed carry class I was helping with this spring. Both had been the typical (hate gun) liberals college girls. (Classmates of daughter)Now, both are in larger city, realized reality. So, it does change minds. 1 even owns an AR and an AK. The other trap shoots. Both have been members of a gun club and shoot regularly.

• Like 1

I am an NRA instructor, have a small range that i started with a buddy, and am getting ready to make bigger range so that we can do more than just basic courses.

We just got the small range ready and held our first basic handgun course. This was not an NRA course, but adapted from it. We had a family, a very liberal family, come out with their 14 year old daughter. They had decided to purchase a handgun, because of a lot of shady people moving into their neighborhood, and wanted a course on safety and how to use it. These people had never even fired a handgun and the daughter was afraid of it... So afraid that she didnt even want to pick it up at the start.

They purchase an EEA Windicator .357/.38 revolver. It helped us a lot that we were able to have another of the same gun for demonstration purposes. We had them run 100 rounds through the pistol at 7 yards. By the time the course was over, they were all shooting a decent group at that distance and having a lot of fun. The girl who was afraid was actually disappointed when the course was over and was ready to go buy more ammo lol! At the end of the course, we showed them a couple rifles and other pistols. Even the dreaded "assault rifles"... They were full of questions and thought that the AR's you can pick up anywhere were full auto machine guns.... After we had an in depth conversation about such things, they are looking at purchasing an AR or AK. Lol!

I enjoy doing this stuff as much as I enjoy going out shooting. It takes time, but it's well worth it to me. Especially if i get to help convert someone. Oh and it pays too! Not gonna get rich by any means but the extra cash here and there is great. So is the feeling of accomplishment after conducting a course that people really take something away from.

Good job! Sound like you love to teach and you care about your students

Good job! Sound like you love to teach and you care about your students

I do very much. Thanks!

Getting this started has been very fulfilling or me.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with getting certified as an instructor and or holding a class.

I'm the lead instructor for my agency (400 men/women) with certifications in Basic firearms, M16/M4, MP-5, Less Lethal, Chemical Munitions and Shotgun, so I teach several times a week to all skill levels. Prior to my law enforcement career, I obtained my NRA instructor certification. Regardless of how you feel about them and their political side, they do have a great firearms instructor program in place that is recognized in nearly every state. I would recommend starting there if you are interested in teaching/learning.

Just remember to care for your students and the topics discussed. If not, they will spot it immediately and you will lose the class/student quickly. Sounds like your headed in the right direction.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 2