Lets see your barrel shrouds!

I've had my S12 for about six years now and have finally gotten tired of it burning my size XXL paws during rapid fire practice so I'm in the market for a shroud. I'd love some information about the various makes and models available and pictures of them installed would be great. Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Man if your hands are big enough to fully cover a Chaos quad rail and still touch the barrel... You're a hamfisted freak! tongue.png

Now if you've a tri-rail and are touching the gas tube, well then yeah, I know where you're coming from.

And deadeye and I have the same problem and same fix.

And don't buy some over priced, re-packaged, S12 labeled vented handguard.

Buy the $10.00 SKS vented handguard, same thing, no mods needed, fits perfectly.

side1.jpg

top1.jpg

But you probably want a shroud regardless.

I gave one away in a contest, I had time to mess with it, mount it and what not.

Didn't like it too much, too heavy and not enough ventilation.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/82523-contest-2-for-the-guntech-s12-barrel-shroud/?hl=shroud

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I havnt tried a vertical grip but I do use a afg for the purpose of indexing my hand but my gorilla arm's get my hands way out front on the forend letting me touch the barrel. I'm not referring to the gas tube cover, the quad rail does a great job of keeping my hands off that. I'm looking at the tubular shrouds that slip over the barrel and screw on the the choke threads. And perhaps a shoulder thing that goes up too......

I'll admit that my memory is a bit fuzzy on how hot the shroud gets as I don't really make a point of touching it after extensive firing. I want to say that it was still fairly hot.

I'm going to try to get to the range this week; if I do, I'll try to remember to pay attention.

Sorry for the non-answer. big_smile.gif

I got it from MAA, here is a pic I just snapped of it. Now that I picked it up for the first time in over a year it really doesn't weigh that much, I think it is just because all of the weight is at the front of the gun that makes it seem heavy.

post-19600-0-86989100-1378656996_thumb.jpg

ALU makes a shit ton of shrouds for a shit ton of different guns. For the saiga 12 though he has a lot of nice ones. Most of them in my opinion are more aesthetic as oppose to functional. However the Archangel break is a beast in looks and function. I used to use a few different breaks but im sticking with this one by a long shot.

cooling wise yea. but I just had to get a muzzie brake combo.

the alumadude isnt just limited to the designs he shows many people come to him with their own designs or ideas and he will come up with some blue prints or whatever on his computer and show you.

Ive seem some really crazy creative cool shit hes done.

cDSC03015_zpsa1f1513f.jpg

cant say it works yet though

CSS handguard barrel shroud - let me find a picture of it unpainted

edit: found it

null_zps4a794a8c.jpg

FYI: I don't care if anyone likes the black better, Its my gun

Nice job on the build. It looks fantastic.

We have the only barrel shroud on the market that will allow you to also mount a muzzle brake to give you the best of both worlds.

There are no wait times with our shrouds and only $79-$99 dependng on the model.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/1892.htm

post-9063-0-26434000-1378819097_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-55952500-1378819103_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-92599000-1378819117_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-35588300-1378819132_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-21422900-1378819143_thumb.jpg

post-9063-0-81315600-1378819153_thumb.jpg

Cobra, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and reply. Those are some fine looking saigas! It's good to know that they really do aid cooling to that level as that's the primary reason I'm in the market for a shroud. I would probably go with a ALU but I can't justify the extra cost and turn around time just to get a heatsink even if its a very high end heatsink.

CSS. I do like those shrouds but I'm trying to keep the OAL of the firearm down to a minimum. If I do another build it would be interesting to use one of your shrouds with a monster break and try to make a bipod slug gun.

CSS. I do like those shrouds but I'm trying to keep the OAL of the firearm down to a minimum. If I do another build it would be interesting to use one of your shrouds with a monster break and try to make a bipod slug gun.

We have others also that keep the barrel length down with an OAL of 8.5".

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-barrel-shroud-holes.htm

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-barrel-shroud-slots.htm

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-barrel-shroud-solid.htm