If funds allowed the Tikka is an excellent rifle but then the costs reflect the quality of a $1500 rifle.

Had I the means it would be my pick, but that is not the question.

The Savage if funds are tighter, its a very good rifle, and a good $800 cheaper IIRC.

But then this is obvious.

Use half the savings to make the 110 into a better rifle with good clear glass and give up maybe 1/4 - 1/2 MOA, pocket the rest.

At 700 yds thats maybe a difference of 2-4" in grouping at worst best guess.

Not a hell of lot at the high end of 308 range.

Get a Vepr.

I've pretty much given on trying to find the vepr I wanted so this is why I've moved onto getting a bolt action instead with the money I saved up.

The Tikka is pretty up there in cost but At the end of the day I wouldn't need anything else for it.

I really love the quality savage puts into their rifles though at better prices though. Its looking like it will be a savage as of now.

I also plan on ordering another sound suppressor so its good these are already threaded.

Another good rifle someone sent me a link to is the Remmy 700 AAC-SD

If your question is in fact about bang for buck then savage is a no brainier.

If your looking for a safe queen to pass down to the favorite grand son some day, well that's a different question.

With the right ammo they can both out shoot you.

Get the best glass you can just barely afford.

A buddy bought this rifle http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=362636959 (not mine), no accutrigger, no threaded end, put this stock on it http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/26-06-12 and key holes at 100 yards.

Now here is a kicker, he bought a Rem 700 SSP I think 20" BBL, no special trigger, no special stock, and it key holes out of the box, oh yeah he put a Wallmart $69 scope on it Centerpoint I think.... 100 yards...

I love Savage, but to watch him key hole the Rem out of the box was dumbfounding....

Edited by 308saiga

Working on trade for savage 308 myself. For hunting purposes I always go with a savage I'm too hard on equipment to spend a lot on something I will drag thru rain, sleet, snow, mud, briar thickets and where ever else I have to go to get on the critters. Get the savage and put an accupoint on it. They have great low light vis and will take a beating. Only exception to that rule I have is my duck gun...They don't make an affordable quality semi shotgun. I am going on season number 7 with my xtrema and I used it for everything including a paddle.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the savage is going to be the way to go also.

Now to just find the best deal on one. Gunbroker, Armslist. etc.

There is a a lot of different savage models out there. what are some you guys have been using?

How tacticool do you need it to be?

Cause a Model 11 Hunter XP is the most bang for the buck you'll find.

Right now it's on sale for $380 (Yeah $380!) through galleryofguns if you shop around a few retailers. Comes with a bushnell scope but it's not total junk. If you want a nikon scope (Trophy Hunter) the price is $493. For me the better scope was worth it but for alot of guys they want to get their own scope anyway.

I got a Trophy Hunter in 300wsm and I couldn't be happier.

You can pay alot more if you want a detachable mag, bull barrel, tacticool stock, threaded barrel...

Edited by Darth Saigus

I would say Savage if you dont plan on shooting it a lot. Hunting, plinking, once in a while. Otherwise I'd say Rem700.

Please expand on this, something we should know?

If we are talking a boltie serving as a MBR then thats a whole nuther thang.

I would say Savage if you dont plan on shooting it a lot. Hunting, plinking, once in a while. Otherwise I'd say Rem700.

Please expand on this, something we should know?

If we are talking a boltie serving as a MBR then thats a whole nuther thang.

Yeah you have to love it when people chime in with random advice with no explanation.

That sounds like a great price but, what I'm looking for is a solid built all around rifle in .308

Since Atlantic couldn't just hold one of these for me http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/vepr-tactical-rifle-7-62x54r-detail.html?Itemid=0.

My point about the Model 11 is that it's not tacticool. It is definately a solid all-around bolt rifle.

But your link to a completely different rifle in a different caliber causes me to wonder if you've really decided what you're looking for.

If something like that Vepr is what you really want you won't be happy with the Savage.

Edited by Darth Saigus

The purpose of me wanting the vepr was long term use and not having to worry about wear and tear as much.

But I've completely changed gears and moved onto competent long range rifles.

I am a beginner with bolt action rifles. only have owned AR's, AK varients, handguns etc.

So since I can't find a vep and I'm kind of over AR 15s at the moment. I want to change hings up and get a nice bolt action.

Would like a heavier barrel since its .308, Accu trigger would be nice since I'm new, I'm a fan of detachable mags. stock will probably be replaced if I have issues with it.

I wouldn't mind making this into a MBR rhodes bad_smile.gif

I could have/build any bolt gun that I want, but I buy or build off of the Remington 700 actions for several reasons. Kinda like building a small block 350 Chevy Motor. There are a shit load of quality parts available for it and it is affordable.

With a Rem 700, you can pick up the basic rifle for a good cost, and now you have a platform you can constantly build on.

They are all built on CNC Equipment now, so out of the box they will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with good ammunition.

Take a look at either the Remington SPS AAC Tactical or the SPS Tactical. Main differences are the AAC Version has a 10:1 Barrel twist and threaded barrel and the SPS Tactical has a 12:1 Twist, but it does not have a threaded barrel. They both measure approximately .860 at the muzzle for the 20" guns.

The 26" barrel is too long and after about 30 rounds you will get a POI shift. After I cut and recrowned the barrel down to 24" didn't have any more problems with the shift after the barrel gets hot. I play at 600 yard F/TR Class with this one.

I have one of each, plus the SPS Varmit (Cut the barrel down to 24") and an LTR all chambered in .308. They all shoot fantastic, but I will rebarrel another Rem 700 action for the .260 Remington.

Have also ordered several of the SPS for friends of mine and they are all happy with the performance of the platform.

Jack

Here are a couple pics of the LTR. Awesome platform and very lightweight for running around at a Sniper Competition.

post-11998-0-94349600-1378416564_thumb.jpg

post-11998-0-52619000-1378416576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Whats up JT? I use your recoil system in my saiga 12.

I pm'ed you a question

Ya know if you slow down and save / wait for what you really want. You'll be much better off in the long run. If you don't believe that, go watch the WTS section..........

I've been looking everywhere DAD. no luck. So instead of waiting I want to learn and get into this new platform.

The purpose of me wanting the vepr was long term use and not having to worry about wear and tear as much.

But I've completely changed gears and moved onto competent long range rifles.

I am a beginner with bolt action rifles. only have owned AR's, AK varients, handguns etc.

So since I can't find a vep and I'm kind of over AR 15s at the moment. I want to change hings up and get a nice bolt action.

Would like a heavier barrel since its .308, Accu trigger would be nice since I'm new, I'm a fan of detachable mags. stock will probably be replaced if I have issues with it.

I wouldn't mind making this into a MBR rhodes bad_smile.gif

Dont take this the wrong way please not intended to be anything other than an observation knowing nothing of your experience.

Given your unfamiliarity with bolties and the vagueness of you plans I have a suggestion not offered so far and may save you some bread.

Get a 22 boltie first.

Marlin XT, Henry, whatever you like and get used to the platform. Ammo is cheap (used to be and will again.. someday) and the rifle wont set you back more than $300 if that.

Why? Because there is not a lot you can do with it. It is pretty much what it is leaving only you to improve.

Plus get the right one and you can shoot 22LR, 22L, 22S just fine and the next time something happens with ammo you have three choices.

After some time with that rifle you will be in a much better position to spend serious money. Hell just keep the 22 it's a good thing to have around.

As far as a boltie for an MBR get one of the Mauser family.

There is a huge difference between a bolt rifle intended for hunting/target/LEO and one made for combat. Lot of them out there still and they aint expensive if you know what you want. Expect them to be 2-4MOA rifles depending on condition and ammo.

I have a 10/22 i plink with.

I just want to get up to par in the longer ranges.

I just took a look at some mausers and damn they have some good looking rifles.

But I do want to stick with getting a rifle I can build on. Savage and remmy fit that mark.

After a quick search on the best mauser bolt actions they run about as much as a TIkka would on gunbroker.