I couldn't find clear info online, but I will be driving through OR w/handguns and a Shotgun. Anyone here live there and know the legal way to transport? One site said that in a car, a handgun needs to be either "Open carry/visible" or "locked in the trunk or glove compartment", and that just doesn't sound right at all to me....I don't need to freak out any police that may pull me over by chance.

Thanks for any info!! Leaving Saturday in my 40yr old VW Bus.

I couldn't find clear info online, but I will be driving through OR w/handguns and a Shotgun. Anyone here live there and know the legal way to transport? One site said that in a car, a handgun needs to be either "Open carry/visible" or "locked in the trunk or glove compartment", and that just doesn't sound right at all to me....I don't need to freak out any police that may pull me over by chance.

Thanks for any info!! Leaving Saturday in my 40yr old VW Bus.

Open carry is legit in Oregon, including in vehicles, by state law - but several cities, including Portland, do not allow open carry. Your best bet is to have all your firearms unloaded in a locked case in the trunk, separate from ammunition.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

Great! I got it now. Thanks for the info. We'll keep em stowed away while driving......Don't have a trunk, as We'll be in a VW bus, but in the case in a cabinet is what I'll do.

post-16191-0-91041400-1378433588_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobRez

Oregon is for the most part pretty good about firearms. Like already stated above open carry is legal but Portland and some other cities require an Oregon CCL to open carry. If you can make sense of that then that makes one of us.

No loaded long guns allowed in the vehicle.

Hand guns locked in a box with the key not in the lock is good to go.

I've run into cops here that don't know the law concerning guns ( I know, hard to believe ) so better safe than sorry.

This link has some good info. Hope it helps.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :

a) Not concealed or

B) “Not readily accessible.”<

“Not readily accessible” (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (B) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(B) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.

So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible.”

Edited by Long Shot

About the only town I know of in South Oregon that may be a pain in the ass is Medford. Seems they have their own illegal non open carry law. However, having said that, just do like already said better before me, just incase the unloaded guns and keep the ammo separate and you will be good to go. I have a personal problem/history with Medford PD, sooss I may be biased here. If you come through SW OR, you are going to have to stop and share. Hee hee. HB of CJ (old coot)

We have a whopping 5 men on the Josephine Co. Sheriffs department for a county of about 90,000. Natural law up here. No problems. Everybody is very polite....and packing. smile.png I onced owned a '72 VW bus; wish I had never gotten rid of it. Actually had cold A/C in it. Babbling now.

Rob,

You should be fine. Just don't do anything to attract attention to yourself.........

OH...... WAIT!

vw_zps346b3b6c.jpg

Seriously though, I've never had a problem in Oregon. But I've also never been pulled over there. Watch out for the Oregon state police on the highways. They seem to be everywhere and they drive those dark blue low squatty cars with low profile light bars on top. They are really heavy (and sneaky) just as you cross the state line into Oregon. I don't know if you are bringing the pooch or not but there is a great dog park and walking trail right off the interstate that we stop at when we are passing through Medford and need some exercise. Take Barnett Rd. exit a couple blocks to Bear Creek Dog Park and trail.

Rob if you have a dash cam, now is the time to use it. I would be willing bet you could make a few million with the conversation with a nice state trooper over the Wonderbus in Oregon. "Sir do you know why I pulled you over?" "No me and a friend are just driving through" " Your vehicle has psychedelics on it" "WTF TOAST"

• Like 1

About the only town I know of in South Oregon that may be a pain in the ass is Medford. Seems they have their own illegal non open carry law. However, having said that, just do like already said better before me, just incase the unloaded guns and keep the ammo separate and you will be good to go. I have a personal problem/history with Medford PD, sooss I may be biased here. If you come through SW OR, you are going to have to stop and share. Hee hee. HB of CJ (old coot)

We have a whopping 5 men on the Josephine Co. Sheriffs department for a county of about 90,000. Natural law up here. No problems. Everybody is very polite....and packing. smile.png I onced owned a '72 VW bus; wish I had never gotten rid of it. Actually had cold A/C in it. Babbling now.

i live in medford and you can open carry i see people doing it all the time.the other day i seen a guy walking down central with an ar on his back no issues.

This is always a hassle for me as I have family in PDX and Astoria, two of the 6 named cities, and OR is too good to take my humble WA CPL. I've been tempted to thwart them by getting a super Utah CPL.

As many know, I'm one of the more prevalent 2-A rights activists in Oregon, and I'm friends with Kevin Sarett of Oregon Firearms federation.
In a VW bus, since you have no CHL (Oregon has ZERO reciprocity) keep your shit unloaded, and behind the bench seat. (I'm talkin' back bench seat... (I have a Westi) where the driver can't reach it)
Even Kevin has it wrong according to my research. (Sorry Kevin... I forgot to tell ya' last time I saw you)
Without a CHL, a loaded long gun is not legal in several cities.
This is Oregon, bro...
You aren't gonna be jacked in w VW bus. they're too slow. Nobody carjacks VW busses.
People may try to bum weed off of you, but that's about it.

This is always a hassle for me as I have family in PDX and Astoria, two of the 6 named cities, and OR is too good to take my humble WA CPL. I've been tempted to thwart them by getting a super Utah CPL.

I took the Utah here in Fl just to see what it was all about.

My instructor was an ass to me because he knew I taught but he was a good instructor. We shot a lot of different guns which was fun but it was mostly NRA based. He did all the paperwork and 30 days later I had my Utah Card and also another NRA Patch .

Do it! if you got the time.

• 2 weeks later...

My instructor was an ass to me because he knew I taught but he was a good instructor. We shot a lot of different guns which was fun but it was mostly NRA based. He did all the paperwork and 30 days later I had my Utah Card and also another NRA Patch .

Whelp, I took a gun through Oregon again last weekend and had several friends from WA asking me about the CCW rules again.

Soo.

I just talked today with guys from the Federalist Society @ school about organizing a Utah permit field trip. They did one last year that conflicted with my schedule, so I couldn't go. Hopefully we will get a few people together and get that sucker outa the way.

By the way, reading the Oregon case about how the airport police and clackamas county sherrif had to back down re: concealed carry is fun.

• 2 months later...

Once again, state of Jefferson!!!

Sorry parents are from NorCal just south of redding, hate they are in commi fornia though.

Sucks for me that I am just north of that, it's elk season now so there are guns all over my oregon coast town.

RobRez,

Did you just get a deer? Was it a controlled hunt? It's rifle elk season here but rifle deer ended on the first I think?

Once again, state of Jefferson!!!

Sorry parents are from NorCal just south of redding, hate they are in commi fornia though.

Sucks for me that I am just north of that, it's elk season now so there are guns all over my oregon coast town.

RobRez,

Did you just get a deer? Was it a controlled hunt? It's rifle elk season here but rifle deer ended on the first I think?

I did just get a deer. Special drawing tag for mule deer. Not sure what you mean by "controlled" hunt.....I was "controlled or limited" to a certain area for him, but it was not for any type of Urban population control....just a limited amount of tags for different areas with mule deer.

Whelp, I took a gun through Oregon again last weekend and had several friends from WA asking me about the CCW rules again.

Soo.

I just talked today with guys from the Federalist Society @ school about organizing a Utah permit field trip. They did one last year that conflicted with my schedule, so I couldn't go. Hopefully we will get a few people together and get that sucker outa the way. 

By the way, reading the Oregon case about how the airport police and clackamas county sherrif had to back down re: concealed carry is fun.

You might be able to do that without leaving town. There is a Sportsman's Warehouse near me that holds Utah CCP classes with Utah certified instructors every so often and I assume there are other places in Washington where you can do the same thing. I don't know what the cost is but I'm sure it's much cheaper than traveling to Utah.

I think there is a sportsman's warehouse in Spokane. I'll have to check into that. I asked at the fed society, and I don't think they are excited about enough to get things moving. Probably because the people who make things happen already have theirs. Actually, a few of the main guys in the group are Ex-Mil LDS from Utah anyway. It would be surprising if any of them didn't have them before moving up here.