Hello.

I would like to know more about the Vepr 12 competition models/custom shop safety & lack of selector. I have read numerous times for the desire of the cross-bolt safety modification. I would love one as well as it seems more familiar to me than the traditional ak selector or even the modern Bulgarian ak/galil/fal type thumb selector.

But I have uncovered very little evidence & information about this safety mechanism. From the pictures I have found it does not resemble a traditional cross-bolt type safety. I can only really see one button on just the right side. On the left side it looks like just another filled pin hole & it looks like it is blocked by the extended thumb mag release. It almost looks like there is no safety at all.

On Molot's website catalog -

Мечта IPSCшника

Ствол 430 мм

Уважаемые клиенты, наконец, в нашем каталоге появилась эта долгожданная модель - ВПО-206СП.

Чем замечательна?

Судите сами:

:: Переводчик огня заменён кнопочным предохранителем (по типу Вепрь-Супер)

:: Кнопка сброса магазина

:: Расширенный металлический приёмник магазина

:: Дублированный рычаг взвода затвора (Левосторонний)

:: Стандартный УСМ заменён на спортивный УСМ с коротким ходом

:: Цевье ВПО-205 сб.17 заменено на гладкое от РПК - Цевье СОК-1В сб.16

:: В продолжении цевья приварены расширители для более удобного хвата при стрельбе

:: Штатная планка вивер заменена металлической

:: Складывающийся приклад заменён на телескопический приклад фирмы Magpul с буфером отдачи

В комплекте 2 магазина по 8 патронов

Подробнее: http://molotarms.ru/index.php?p=shop&action=showproduct&id=431&cid=18&pname=karabin-gladkostvolnyi-039-vepr-12-molot-039-vpo-206-430-dlya-ipsc

Translated to -

Dream IPSCšnika

430 mm barrel

Dear customers, in our catalog has the long-awaited model HPE-206SP.

What is remarkable?

Judge for yourself:

Selector: replaced with either a fuse (according to the type of Boar-Super)

: Reset button shop

Metal receiver: Advanced store

: Dubbed the cocking lever bolt (left hand)

TRIGGER: standard replaced by sporting USM short stroke

: Foregrip VPO-205 sat. 17 replaced by smooth from the PKK-Foregrip JUICE-IB sat 16.

: In a continuation of the forearm are enhancers for better grip when firing

: Native Rod Weaver is replaced by a metal

: Folding Buttstock replaced with telescoping Buttstock with a Magpul company impact

Complete 2 store 8 rounds

Read more: http://molotarms.ru/index.php?p=shop&action=showproduct&id=431&cid=18&pname=karabin-gladkostvolnyi-039-vepr-12-molot-039-vpo-206-430-dlya-ipsc

"Selector: replaced with either a fuse (according to the type of Boar-Super)

: Reset button shop" --- Reset button???

Please share whatever information & pictures you have on this subject.

Vepr12ISPC3.jpg

Vepr12ISPC1.jpg

Vepr12ISPC2.jpg

Vepr12SergiiMagRelease1.jpg

Vepr12SergiiMagRelease2.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I/we found during extensive testing on the practice range and during competitions. Taran Butler and I have been working together for quite a few years developing the Saiga 12 for Open Division competition.

Taran's resume should speak for itself. He has won more major 3-Gun Competitions than anyone else in history and he is the ONLY Triple Crown Winner having worn all three divisions of 3 Gun in USPSA.

Here is our final conclusion: The fastest safety to go from standby position (start) to put the shogun into action is actually the stock Russian Selector Lever/Safety modified like the Krebbs so you have your trigger finger on the ledge ready to go. One could argue that the cross bolt is faster, but it is actually about the same, not enough to offset the value of the selector/safety lever.

Here is what we finally determined we liked even better than a cross bolt safety, a Mossberg type safety, etc when putting the shotgun on safe. One of the biggest issues/concerns in 3 Gun is the transition from the shotgun to either the pistol or the rifle. Numerous times the Benellis, Remington and other shotguns with the crossbolt type safety have been knocked off safe or bumped into the fire position when the shotgun was dumped in a barrel or laid on a table. More times from the barrel. Irregardless this will result in a DQ and you are going home. I know people will say that you should clear the shotgun before you dump it, but that is bullshit. If you are going for the gold, you don't have time to clear the shotgun. You want to THROW that mother in the dump barrel and get the fuck out of there.

Here is the way to put the safety on with the Russian Selector when you have to transition to another firearm. Holding the shotgun grip in the right hand, reach over the top of the shotgun and grab it by the left hand with the fingers on the safety/selector side of the receiver and the thumb on the left side of the receiver (over the dustcover), pull up on the selector lever. Let go of the right hand, and while you are starting to dump the shotgun into the barrel, use your now free right hand and either start to draw your pistol or reach for your rifle while dumping the shotgun only with your left hand into the barrel or onto a table.

This way is fast as hell and there is never a doubt about the shotgun being on safe when it is dumped!!

Jack Travers

JT Engineering

• Like 1

I forgot! Yes we tried the cross bolt safety on the Saiga 12 also in comparison with the Stock Russian Selector/Safety Lever.

I manufacture one, mainly for LEO and Military personnel where the powers to be require a standard type safety on the firearm.

Here is a pic of it for those who are not familiar with it.

Jack

post-11998-0-29555700-1378610758_thumb.jpg

Thank you Jack for all the information you provided as well as the picture.

For a short time I was considering a thumb type safety but after realizing what had to be done & how it actually operates I realized that for me it would be more of a hindrance & possible safety risk as well. I also mentioned the cross-bolt safety that everyone has been waiting for in another thread on another forum. But I could not find any detailed information on it or any close-up pictures on how it operates.

True the speed mag release is very neat but both versions appear to almost block the left side of the safety.

I also agree the Krebs selector is great & also really like the Vepr-12's extended selector. Hmmm a extended Krebs type selector that you could somehow operate with your finger and/or knuckle...

And Jack I really admire your products & have your grip on my Saiga 12.
DSC02469-Cropped.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot! Yes we tried the cross bolt safety on the Saiga 12 also in comparison with the Stock Russian Selector/Safety Lever.

I manufacture one, mainly for LEO and Military personnel where the powers to be require a standard type safety on the firearm.

Jack

How much does a safety like that cost?

Thank you Jack for all the information you provided as well as the picture.

For a short time I was considering a thumb type safety but after realizing what had to be done & how it actually operates I realized that for me it would be more of a hindrance & possible safety risk as well. I also mentioned the cross-bolt safety that everyone has been waiting for in another thread on another forum. But I could not find any detailed information on it or any close-up pictures on how it operates.

True the speed mag release is very neat but both versions appear to almost block the left side of the safety.

I also agree the Krebs selector is great & also really like the Vepr-12's extended selector. Hmmm a extended Krebs type selector that you could somehow operate with your finger and/or knuckle...

And Jack I really admire your products & have your grip on my Saiga 12.

DSC02469-Cropped.jpg

It is really no big deal to rivet or weld a tab or two exactly where you want it. The V12 safeties which have a tab connected to the axle on the left side of the reciever are less simple, but the common type is pretty straight forward if you want one. In my opinion, the standard vepr safety is good, but that with a krebs style tab would be better.

• Like 1

Cross bolt safety for V12/S12 became very popular in Russia, when in 2009 Vsevolod Ilyn asked Molot to modify his Standard Vepr-12 VPO-205 for his own needs and made Custom version of Vepr-12 for IPSC. He's not only suggested to modify FSB with a new construction for easy cleaning, mount bolt carrier buffer with spring, metal mag well, thumb mag release button, rails instead of rear sight, but also asked Molot to replace AK-type Safety for Cross Bolt type. Later Molot started to product Vepr-12 model (based on Ilyns CE V12), known as VPO-206 IPSC (official name of the model).

The pic of Ilyn and the first VPO-206 converted from VPO-205.

Ilyn.jpg

This model became very popular, and many top Russian shooters started to use it.
There are two types are present Serial VPO-206 and converted from VPO-205, serial has new receiver without holes for AK-type of safety and BBL 12/70, converted has holes for AK-type safety (closed by cup/unclosed) and BBL 12/76

Today Ilyn use Saiga-12 IPSC model 340, that made by IZMASH under Ilyns requirements, this model also has Cross Bolt Safety. Ilyn says that the Cross Bolt Safety is faster than original/modified AK type.

Today most top Russian shooters who use V12/S12 use both this models suggested by Ilyn, that made by Molot/IZHMASH. Model V12-VPO-206 is more common, as well as it is cheaper, than S-12-340 (if you don't need to buy it like Ilyn, member of Rostechnology (IZMASH owner) IPSC team).

The pic of Ilyn and the first Saiga-12-340

rt-gun.jpg

The pic of Orlov (Sergii) and his Serial Vepr-12 VPO-206

970157_683850518309492_2102532983_n.jpg

Other-way, many European IPSC shooters prefer to use AK-type of safety both on S-12 and V-12. Some modify safety like on this V12 from Germany.

Pic of Customized by Planet-of-Gun & Waffen Frey Vepr-12 VPO-205 with modified Molot safety.

Vepr%252012%2520IPSC%2520Exlusiv%2520%25

Vepr%252012%2520IPSC%2520Exlusiv%2520%25

Some US shooters prefer to use AK type of Safety on their S-12, and some choose Cross Bolt safety for S-12, like Kay Miculeck for his Custom made by JT Engineering
S-12 .

Kay's Miculek S-12 with Cros Bolt Safety from JT

IMG_12051.jpg

IMG_12131.jpg

• Like 1

Jack

How much does a safety like that cost?

Sorry, just caught your post. I was charging a flat rate of $200.00 for the complete system.

Jack

Damn, that Cerakote finish has held up beautifully on Kay's Shotgun. That gun has literary thousands of rounds through it, been around the world a couple of times and gets the crap beat out of it in competition, because we don't baby them and it still looks like new!!!

You can see the beating the Docter Reflex Optic has taken in comparison and they were both new at the time. Guess it has been about three years now.

Jack

• Like 2