My boy has the parts ordered to finish his AR. His birthday is in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get him a red dot. Not sure whether or not I have the funds right now for Eotech or the like. So... If you have experience with a red dot that has held up, post up please.

check the sightmark line up. decent red dots at great price, have one on my 5.45 has cause no problems in over a year. aluminum housings built tough....eotech clone.

Im sure there are some sightmarks that do pretty well, but I would stay away from the ones costing less than $60. I got their basic reflex sight for $30 at my local sporting goods store, on sale. I had to return the first one because it kept shutting off on my ruger 10-22, then the next one I got in the exchange wasnt bright enough to shoot in the daylight (so I exchanged it for ammo). Maybe the more expensive ones are better, but I hear their battery life is crap.

If you have around 100bucks to spend, go with the bushnell trs25 or a primary arms micro (if their available at the moment). Both are rugged as hell, bright as you will need, and have 1000hrs battery life on a medium setting. Ive kept my pa-micro on the '1' setting and havnt had to change the battery for over 8 months straight, yea. Spend the extra money and get something worth buying.

• Like 1

The bushnell trs 25 is a good optic. Been using one on an ak for a while now. Was originally on my saiga 12. Never lost zero and has taken quite a bit of abuse while on the ak. The vortex sparc is also a great sight too. I recently got an aimpoint pro for 400. Excellent sight and currently sits on my primary HD rifle (bcm m4)

BIG JOHN,

JUST CHECKED THEIR SITE, BOTH THE PA MICRO AND THE VORTEX SPARC ARE IN STOCK.

I HAVE A MICRO ON A SGL21-76 AND A SPARC ON A CENTURY C39 CENTURION PISTOL.

VERY HAPPY WITH BOTH, THE SPARC HAS NIGHT VISION LEVELS, BUT IT TAKES A HARD TO FIND BATTERY.

I'D PROBABLY BE HITTIN' THAT MICRO MD-06L, WHILE THE HITTIN'S GOOD.

THIS NEWER ONE IS THREADED FOR A KILLFLASH.

JESS

Red Dot only on an AR Flat top: C-More Slide Ride/Railway in Standard Intensity Adjustment. Should be able to find one for around $200.00

You can put any MOA Dot you want in it. I would recommend 4 MOA for out to 200 yards, and 6 or 8 MOA for inside 100 yards.

I have found this to be the best, bar none, for dot only AR's. Mainly for fast target engagement within 100 yards and accuracy and it is affordable.

You will not have to worry about it going tits up on you. C-More has an outstanding reputation and warranty program.

Jack

If you are looking at around 100$ the bushnell trs 25 would be a great choice. And now they carry these at walmart with the correct riser to co witness on an ar for around 110$. The best part is if your son decides he wants something else he can take it back easily.

• Like 1

They have been in stock recently at their main store. Great inexpensive red dot.

Yes get the one with with the removable base, most important. Then you need a quick disconnect AR riser for another 29. Done

A lot of people put this red dot on their Saiga 12s, so they do take a beating

Edited by dustindu4

C-More Slide Ride/Railway

How will it stand up to the rifle being dropped directly on the sight?

How far up and on what surface? Fuck, I don't know, as well as anything else on the market if not better. Definitely better than a tube scope. I see them get dropped all the time, with the pistols and they survive, done it myself a few times.

The C-Mores are professional units, been around for years and they have an outstanding reliability reputation. Even if you break it, C-more will fix it with a fast turn around time also.

Jack

I have an old Mepro21 that has lost it's glow from the hydrogen 3 to the point that it almost doesn't work in complete darkness. The shelf life is about 12 years on tritium or H3. It is an open reflex sight that will skull fuck an Aimpoint tube red dot.

Ever use any of these? You must be using cheap shit reflex sights. The Cmore is bomb proof. It has been proven in 3 gun for many years.

• Like 1

I'm pleased with my Primary Arms red dots. They have pretty good package deals too.

I got mine in the mail on Friday and sighted it in on Saturday. I picked up their cheapo quick disconnect mount as well. It was easy to sight in and use. Dot is nice and crisp and the glass is clear (though has a VERY slight green tint to it).

I took the mount and sight off and tossed it around a little on the floor and what not and threw it back on the rifle. It stayed at zero.

I have not had much time behind it, but I like it so far. I got it for about $130 shipped with the mount.

Don't mind my messy garage.

IMG_20130906_182319_741.jpg

Edited by Pyzik

Wow come on guys. What will happen if I slam that red dot on concrete while mounted...will it still work? Damn you idiot....I wouldn't trust my irons if I slammed them down on concrete with 10lbs of rifle behind it. Just buy a 15,000 hud for your rifle and you'll never haveto worry about dropping your rifle again. Only head trama

Come let's be real.... irons are nothing more than a screw. It's been proven that even an extractor never makes contact with a casing while it's being extracted. It's just pure force that keeps it in place. And you expect me to trust a screw? I think alot of people glamorize firearms and rockets etc. The technology is nothing but a controlled explosion....the concept has been around for centuries. Same with nuclear power....it's basically just steam power. That fact of the matter is that no real advancements have been made in the civilian small arms realm in decades. A phaser in the 20 watt range is what I'm looking for. Or at the very least all kidding aside is transparent aluminum

Come let's be real.... irons are nothing more than a screw. It's been proven that even an extractor never makes contact with a casing while it's being extracted. It's just pure force that keeps it in place. And you expect me to trust a screw? I think alot of people glamorize firearms and rockets etc. The technology is nothing but a controlled explosion....the concept has been around for centuries. Same with nuclear power....it's basically just steam power. That fact of the matter is that no real advancements have been made in the civilian small arms realm in decades. A phaser in the 20 watt range is what I'm looking for. Or at the very least all kidding aside is transparent aluminum

Where is all this coming from? Butthurt from somewhere else and bringing it here?

The dude asked about a decent inexpensive red dot. He didn't say he was shipping his son off to Syria and needed to get his fighting rifle set up on the cheap.

It's probably a plinker.

And why the fuck are you bringing up phases and small arms advancements?

no-this-is-the-ultimate-look-of-disappro

Oh this Was brought on by a poster that was arguing that a cheap reddot couldn't be trusted if dropped directly on it but a more expensive one could. I'm trying to argue that nothing could be 100 percent trusted if it takes a direct hit. Especially sighting devices. Eta....it's like another poster I saw years ago asking if his glock could withstand a housefire while the original poster says his 1911 did. And the glock guy got made when everybody laughed at him. Same thing here...the cheap red dots are based on the same technology and will serve you well as long as your not in a hell on earth warzone where dropping a rifle means the difference between life and death

Edited by Yugopap4me
  • Like 1