Saiga 12 reliability kit review using federal bulk

So I ordered 3 parts from Carolina Shooters Supply on Labor Day and I received them on Friday. The 3 parts were the CSS Saiga 12 G2 performance puc, performance recoil spring and a Ace 1" recoil pad for my DPH stock. I didn't order the full kit because I already had and tested the V-plug. My goal with these parts was to be able to fire my MD20 reliably with Federal bulk birdshot and at times also Remington Nitro birdshot (which it doesn't usually have a problem with anyways) and the Winchester Sport 25rd packs. I've tested all 3 already with just the V-plug and only the Remington Nitro has been pretty reliable. This shotgun was converted by a well known vendor on these forums and it has been totally reliable with buckshot and slugs.

Step 1 in my testing was to load up my drum (which I adjusted to 2 revolutions on the spring) and try just the V-plug and performance puc. I still had just about every round fail to eject. Although I did notice the bolt & carrier did come back far enough to clear the cartridge but not eject it, as opposed to with just the V-plug where it would only come back about half an inch. With the factory plug it wouldn't move at all with the same ammo.

Step 2 I added the performance recoil spring along with the V-plug and performance puc. The first shot from the drum failed to eject and my heart sunk. I cleared the cartridge and proceeded to fire the remaining 19rds from the drum as fast as I could pull the trigger with no malfunctions. I loaded up the drum again and fired about 10rds fast before the next failure to eject, once again the remaining rounds fired with no problems. I loaded up the drum 1 more time and got about 6rds and another failure to eject, I cleared it and tried firing from the hip (which I've never been able to do reliably no matter what the ammo) and I got about another 6rds before the next malfunction. I cleared the cartridge and fired the remaining rounds from the hip with no problems.

My conclusions: I honestly have to say that was the first time I ever had a shit eatin grin after shooting my Saiga 12! Sure it wasn't 100% but it was about 90% which is way better then 0%. As I said previously I've never been able to fire my shotgun from the hip without it constantly jamming and it felt cool as hell! I do have to say I would like to get a chance to try the 1st generation of performance puc because I would like to compare the 2.

At first I was kind of disappointed that the Ace recoil pad didn't mate up perfectly with the DPH stock but after firing it I really don't care, that was the most comfortable that shotgun has felt while shooting. Also I have long ape-like arms, so the extra length on the stock made me feel less cramped up.

Next I will try the Remington Nitros and the Winchester Sport, when they become available at a local gunstore again. I hope this review helps someone and thank you CSS for your great service and products.

Bullseyeboy-

You would find that the DPH 6 position plug in the reliability kits we sell will give you the little extra power you need to make it 100% reliable.

We use to offer the kits with the MD V plug as an option, but found the DPH plug was much more effective for cycling low brass which is why we dropped the V plug from our product line.

Hey thanks for the heads up! I guess I wasn't paying attention to which plug was in the current reliability kit. I'll need to buy some other parts later and when I do I'll pick up a DPH plug off from you as well. Do you still offer the generation 1 performance pucs at all? If not why? I'm sorry I would just like to try one out but if the G2 is just plain better than I won't worry about it.

Some of the other parts I'll be ordering are for a future S-308 conversion, is there any special parts I need to pay attention to like the fcg being different or something?

Thanks again,

Bullseyeboy-