ALABAMA: Questions arise over new hunting regulation - TimesDaily

We have something like that in place in NY now to track harvest numbers. I didnt read the whole article after reading the premise... it shouldnt be a big deal. just a few moments on the phone with a computer and some numbers. lets them know how many are actually taken so they can adjust harvest rates for the following season.

Well, if you didn't have 7 tags, that would be kind of silly. Then they would be knocking on your door, because you just admitted to being a poacher!

Although... Farmers are allowed to harvest "xx" number of deer for "crop damage." Would that same system be used to report those numbers?

Edited by Ronin38

Depends on the state..some states let you take deer out of season others issue the farmer a certain number of tags based on land size and if the farmer tag is used it doesn't count against the hunters issed tags...Hunting fishing laws are differnt for every state. Some states they even differ from county to county...It makes keeping up with firearm laws easy compared to keeping up with hunting and fishing laws.

Are the fines something new? Was there no fine in the past for failing to check your big game?

I hate the government more than most but game management is actually one of the better things they do.

• Like 1

I dont think they use tags for deer in Alabama.

Just dont get caught killing over the limit or out of season, least that is how it was when I lived there.

Wouldnt consider it big game at all really.

More like varmints if they get into your garden.

More useful? Not sure its worth the cost.

IIRC, there are not tags used here, and when I used to hunt, MANY years ago, it was one buck a day per hunter. I'll check the state laws and see, we've got a couple of big bucks around the house that like to eat stuff out of everybodys gardens, but so far, no one has plugged one of them yet. They also like to jump across the road in front of the cars going down our road in the mornings. Neighbor across the street told me that at least they are being polite to me, they use our driveway then cut thru the yard to get to the back side of our hill. :) real early in the mornings.

We used to plant some sweet peas outside the fence of the garden. Its like chocolate to a PMSing female, cant resit the stuff.

And thus dont do as much damage.

Some bucks learn where to stay out of the sights of hunters, sounds like thats what you have there.

No tags in Bama. Many guys I work with hunt on their own land here and prep their own kills. Also manage their land very effectively. Several areas of the state do not have cell coverage and many older men do not use the internets.

I personally know many "rednecks" who will not comply if this goes into effect.

I also wonder if people who are involved in deer accidents o. the roadways will be required to report the occurrence.