Depleting Ammo Reserves Now??? Is this true?

Got this today from a friend who saw it in a thread discussing the Syria situation. Can anyone confirm or explain this?

Is this anything to be concerned about or does this guy maybe just live in the vicinity of Tromix? haha.gif

"I'm staying 30-40 min. away from large ammo plant in McAlester OK, and work just a few miles from it. They are constantly blowing up munitions, wall shaking explosions... he, Obama, is depleting our reserves"

Just wondering I guess if there could be any truth to a rumor I heard. Heard they were gonna start producing new ammo with fucked up primers that have a "shelf life" so you can't stockpile it or it goes bad...

"I'm staying 30-40 min. away from large ammo plant in McAlester OK, and work just a few miles from it. They are constantly blowing up munitions, wall shaking explosions... he, Obama, is depleting our reserves"

munitions gets destroyed due to age, or they find a bad lot number

as for shortage of ammo, when they have 2 wars going, there isn't a shortage of ammo, not to mention that there are a lot of contracts out there for manufactures to produce ammo.

so that thread is a lot aluminum foil

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I don't buy the outdated ammo bullshit as modern ammo is stored in controlled environments. Old surplus stuff is sealed in ammo cans and still goes bang decades later. You mean nobody on this forum has purchased really old surplus ammo? I have WWII surplus that still fires fine as well as some older surplus .30-40 Krag for a Springfield 1898 I have. We ran around 2500 rounds of surplus Nazi 8mm through my buddy's MG-42 awhile back and that gun ripped through them with no malfunctions. I can see a bad lot number although it would be a waste to not reuse the projectiles and brass. A big boom near a munitions plant might mean disposing of something with explosives but the majority of the wall shaking booms are the explosives mainly, not small arms ammunition cooking off. The burn rate of the HE is waaaay faster than small arms powder. Maybe they had bad primers or powder to dispose of. I can't see a mass disposal of ammo at a plant that makes it. They make it and ship it, not store it for Armageddon.

• Like 1

At the old Badger AAP, they used to dispose of the MNT and DNT by burning. Although this seems suprizing because MNT and DNT are both precursors to TNT which the plant made. Last I heard, the burn pits are still dangerous from the amounts of the precursor explosives in the soil. At Badger, they also stored ammo, and had quite a number of magazines scattered in the more remote parts of the plant. Most of their production was TNT, ball powder, and 2.75" rocket motors along with oleum (concentrated sulphuric acid).

• Like 1

Google, anyone?

McAlester Army Ammunition Plant’s (MCAAP) is a weapons manufacturing facility in McAlester, Oklahoma. Its mission is to produce and renovate conventional ammunition and ammunition related components. The plant stores war reserve and training ammunition. McAlester performs manufacturing, industrial engineering and production product assurance. The plant also receives, demilitarizes and disposes of conventional ammunition components. The plant is government-owned and government-operated. It is located in Pittsburg County, Oklahoma, southwest of the city of McAlester.

Edited by sean8642
  • Like 1

Just wondering I guess if there could be any truth to a rumor I heard. Heard they were gonna start producing new ammo with fucked up primers that have a "shelf life" so you can't stockpile it or it goes bad...

That rumor has been going around since the 1990s at least. It's total bullshit, because there is nothing you can do to a primer to make it fail at some future date, that will not cause it to fail immediately.

• Like 1

Some munitions components, not necessarily small arms, will kaboom if burned. Our EOD guys in Baghdad were disposing of shit tons of AAA ammo. First they removed the explosive rounds and blew them with HE. Then they decided to burn the propellant out of the mountain of shell casings which reacted with a high order detonation that blew all of the windows of the control tower. Either that facility was disposing of explosives with explosives or they had a whoops like these guys maybe.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about intentional obsolescence, but I did reads somewhere that the military is transitioning to more costly and slightly less consistent non-mercuric primers to be Enviro. IMO the only part of miltary .223 ammo that should be green is the tip.

Under another administration, though that could result in good future stores of surplus pulled bullets...

• Like 1

I'm sure any regular explosions near an munitions plant are sample testing.. Probably big stuff, seems munitions by weight actually favor stuff over .50 cal. Most ammo can be broken down fairly easy, even the big stuff is likely designed to be recycled as that has become a large expense in maintaining the stock pile.

For what its worth before I installed the giant shock absorbers, my punch press could be felt from 1/4 mile away, had some less then happy people that week, and most of my stuff is tiny compared with large drawing presses (like what makes shells). Industrial equipment can make people think explosions are happening when its actually a normal function of the machinery.

Your not going to see ammunition markers switching to any primer that fails early, before the panic I was seeing "new" ammo that was almost 6 years old. Probably a pallet that was at the bottom and never left the warehouse.

EDIT: Now I read seans post... I see nothing that says they make small arms ammo, just "conventional". Which is everything from naval guns to AA, I'd imagine some of those become more unstable as they age unlike rifle ammo.

• Like 1

The non-mercuric thing was from an official press release. I think they were supposed to have a similar shelf life but not as good performance for variations in velocity.

Pile drivers can be felt from a long ways off too.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about intentional obsolescence, but I did reads somewhere that the military is transitioning to more costly and slightly less consistent non-mercuric primers to be Enviro.

it isn't the primers, but the bullet itself, a metal jacket around a lead core, it's the lead that is the issue. every impact area on every base in the US is heavily contaminated with lead, from decades of shooting FMJ, the lead leaches into ground water etc.....

so far as I know, they haven't found a substitute that would be equal to the performance as FMJ

It's both bullets and primers, and no the new ones aren't as good. Depleted uranium tungsten, bismuth and a number of things exceed the performance of lead because they have higher specific gravity. The problem is that they cost more.