New User, Some Basic (aka Stupid) Questions

Hey everyone,

Just got my first Saiga... IZ109.

Trying to learn as much as I can from old posts. I have a WASR-10/63 so I'm fairly familiar with the AK platform. (I also have a decent variety of pistols, shotguns, and rifles, so while not an "expert", I have a good background knowledge on various firearms.)

I haven't had a chance to shoot my S12 yet, which I plan on doing before I bother converting or making any modifications to it. But when the funds are available (which won't be for a while, so plenty of time to research) I would like to convert and have some fun with it.

Questions:

1) I have an RS Regulate side mount and Primary Arms 30mm RDS that I had on my WASR. I'm considering using it on my S12, but was also considering a folding buttstock. Does anyone know of a folding stock that would work with a optics mount that uses the side rail? I've never heard of one for "regular" AKm's, but was wondering if there was one for S12's.

2) I've been toying with the idea of a ACE skeleton stock (like this: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/766/766723.jpg) but I'm concerned about a cheekweld. With a side mounted optic it raises it a little above the iron sights (too high to co-witness which is why I'm considering not using it afterall). Has anyone used one? Is the cheekweld good for iron sights, optics raised a little, or both?

3) Besides factory magazines, what do y'all recommend? I've seen Promags but have always steered clear of them in the past with other platforms. I've seen a lot of references to a MD20 drum mag, but can't fit that in the budget for now. What are y'all suggestions?

4) So many choices for muzzle attachments (heck, there's so many options for everything!) that it's a bit overwhelming. Looking good is always a plus, but performance should ideally come first. What are your top recommendations? It's probably asking a lot, but controlling muzzle rise is important, then comes noise (not looking to make it any louder if it's possible to avoid), then weight, and then looks. I know there will have to be a compromise, which I'm ok with, but what is the scoop on these?

I probably have a thousand more questions, but will reserve them until I read even more.

Thank you all for the help.

Edited by BlueNinjaGo

As for muzzle brakes I have done YouTube video reviews on the JTE, Bonesteel, Tromix Monster & Mini Monster and the CSS Molot copy.

The Bonesteel is the lightest then comes the CSS Molot but the CSS Molot has more recoil reduction. I also did some muzzle brake recoil comparison videos.

When it comes to the drums....that's the ONLY thing Promag has gotten right. I love my 12rnd drum and the 20 is very good too. Although the MD20's are a better drum the Promag is a great option for the price.

shoot the thing first before going any further with 'dolling it up", use 00 bucks at gas setting 2 and slugs for gas setting 1, it should cycle without issues. target loads are a different matter, it might or might not cycle

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I would recommend the mini monster as a muzzle device.

I have held out for years waiting for a realistic magazine. I have tried promag which has caused reliability issues. I have also snapped surefires out of my gun. So I am holding out for csspecs steel mags and saving for some russian 8 rounders from Legion. All the other American mags are just cheap plastic molds JMO. I also have a promag drum but it has never worked on the other hand everyone else has seemed happy with theirs. MD arms rules the drum world.

Shoot your gun alot. Most will fail to function with light loads and an occasional magnum load but be patient. Of the three S12 I have own I have had to do no work to get them reliable besides your usual break ins.

What ever you do don't give up early and spend tons of money on work to get it running right.

The best way to test reliability/functionality is with the stock five rounder.

Welcome to the Forum!!!