Magazines- Tell me all....

I've searched the topics, there does not seem to be a grand list. If there is, please direct me.

I'm just bought an un-modified Saiga 12 and I'm going to need magazines. I'm probably not looking for

the 20 round drums, but might look at 1 or 2 of the smaller drums. Mostly I'll probably want sticks.

Here is the question. Lots of companies seem to make magazines for this gun (not interested in magwell right now).

Who's magazines work, which ones don't. What sizes are practical, at which point is it better to go drum.

I'm probably most interested in the 8-12 round capacity.

Thanks,

John

Here's what they all look like while loading on a closed bolt.... with 3 inch magnums in the sticks (still nobody has made a drum that will hold 3"). These are all except the smaller drums that is.... I don't have anything but 20 rd drums so far.

See description for the complete list.

also:

• Like 1

ONEBIGELF,

I LIKE THE SGM 12'S AND PROMAG 12 AND 15RND DRUMS.

THE 20'S ARE JUST A BIT TOO BIG TO REACH AROUND COMFORTABLY, AND I HAVE LONG ARMS.

I DO HAVE 2 OF THE MD20'S (THAT'S HOW I KNOW).

ALL DRUMS PAST THEM HAVE BEEN 12'S OR 15'S.

LIKE TO TRY/SEE MD'S DOUBLE-STACKS IF THEY EVER EVENTUATE.

JESS1344

I like my SGM 10 round mags. I have literally ran one of my SGM 10 rounders in 30 degree weather, snow falling and snow on the ground. In colder weather, molecules become closer together and this may change your tolerances. The SGM mag performed flawlessly. I left it out there covered in snow till even the shotgun it's self was the same temperature as it was outside.

Just remember that all mags work great................until suddenly they don't. Buy the very best mags you can possibly afford, even if it means you only have three mags total. If you are talking about using them for true home defense, then go Russian or go home.

• Like 2

I loved the 10/12 round drums. They are much smaller and easier to handle than stick mags of the same capacity and work jus as well. Would only go MD for a twenty round drum though. "Best" stick mags thus far are factory and they come in 5 and 8 round capacity. All other sticks are almost based on preference and experience. I personally only ran SGM mags, but others had bad experiences with them and like other brands for the same reason i preferred SGM.

Good luck with your choices

When using drums you have to be careful on the overall size of the shells.  Some 2 3/4" shells are larger than others depending on whether they are rolled crimped or stared.  The 2 3/4" refers to the opened length after being fired.  The larger ones will not fit in the drums.  Suggest you search the history for information on this topic.  All of the stick mags as far as I know will accommodate either type of crimp.

Neverhome