I'm actually thinking of picking one of these up. I don't know shit about them so I'm looking to you guys to see if they are worth having. Going boom is great. But, going boom and having a barrel so fucked up that the bullet goes off at a 90 degree angle does me no good.

Talk to me boys????????

I'm actually thinking of picking one of these up. I don't know shit about them so I'm looking to you guys to see if they are worth having. Going boom is great. But, going boom and having a barrel so fucked up that the bullet goes off at a 90 degree angle does me no good.

Talk to me boys????????

IMHO....every self respecting Saiga owner should have Mosin Nagant bad_egg.gif

^at least one

There.

Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • Like 1

Talk to me boys????????

Well they are in the Mauser family so the design is good it all depends on how good the vodka was the night before it was made.

Seriously, its an ok rifle if you spend the time and effort to turn it into a shooter.

Doesnt take a lot of money just some time and willingness to learn before touching it.

Make sure the bore is centered and the rifling isnt shot out is all.

Cosmoline, you learn to hate the stuff.

youtube is your friend.

You guys are trying to kill me. My FFL just came in. Already have a type 53 project coming in the mail. now I'm tempted to get another. These damn things are like crack

So buy a crate of these and give us all a special Saiga Forum discount, I'm in for another one........greedy.gif

You guys are trying to kill me. My FFL just came in. Already have a type 53 project coming in the mail. now I'm tempted to get another. These damn things are like crack

So buy a crate of these and give us all a special Saiga Forum discount, I'm in for another one........greedy.gif

As much as I would love to do that, its an 03. So if the ol' feds got a wiff of that one I think I'd be in a bit of hot water haha. I got a nice check coming in Oct though so I have contemplated buying a crate and just being done with them for a bit of time haha

Talk to me boys????????

Well they are in the Mauser family so the design is good it all depends on how good the vodka was the night before it was made.

Seriously, its an ok rifle if you spend the time and effort to turn it into a shooter.

Doesnt take a lot of money just some time and willingness to learn before touching it.

Make sure the bore is centered and the rifling isnt shot out is all.

Cosmoline, you learn to hate the stuff.

youtube is your friend.

So what would one have to do to turn it into a shooter buying sight unseen and all?

Talk to me boys????????

No, they sure aren't. A Mosin-Nagant is definitely NOT a Mauser, or a modified Mauser - it's a completely different action. Mosin-Nagants are great rifles, designed by a Russian and a Belgian.

• Like 2

Talk to me boys????????

No, they sure aren't. A Mosin-Nagant is definitely NOT a Mauser, or a modified Mauser - it's a completely different action. Mosin-Nagants are great rifles, designed by a Russian and a Belgian.

Exactly! The only things the Mosin-Nagant's and Mausers have in common is that they are both bolt action rifles, both have 5 round internal mags, they are both made from metal and wood and they both start with the letter "M". Here endith the similarities.

US 1903 Springfields ARE in the Mauser family. The British SMLE, French MAS, Mosin-Nagant and Japanese Arisaka are all different approaches to launch a bullet, but completely different actions from the Mauser.

I'm hoping Rhodes meant that Mosin's were developed and adopted around the same time as the Mausers.

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

Talk to me boys????????

Exactly! The only things the Mosin-Nagant's and Mausers have in common is that they are both bolt action rifles, both have 5 round internal mags, they are both made from metal and wood and they both start with the letter "M". Here endith the similarities.

US 1903 Springfields ARE in the Mauser family. The British SMLE, French MAS, Mosin-Nagant and Japanese Arisaka are all different approaches to launch a bullet, but completely different actions from the Mauser.

I'm hoping Rhodes meant that Mosin's were developed and adopted around the same time as the Mausers.

Macbeau...

I was and still am in fact of the understanding the Belgiums were involved with both rifles and since the Mauser preceded the Mosin by a very short time it would stand to reason one was inspired by the other.

I know there was much contention who designed what and when, the licensing contentions flew hot and heavy.

There are differences of course just as there are between the 1903 and K98 .

But independently designed? No need a source guys, I dont mind being wrong and set straight but I do require some reliable material.

PS:

Look at it this way, had the Germans not produced the STG 44 would there have been a AK 47?

No matter what the Russians claim the AK drew much from the STG and is responsible for much of it's success, ego aside its obvious.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Well it really depends on how "general" you want to be. How wide does an individual want to take this mauser family. I think it's more of an era thing not a family thing, as a family of weapons eludes to either models under the same manufacturer or cross-manufacture like an AR with a x39 upper.

If we were to compare every weapon like this you'd have a cork board with about a billion strings and tacks. Mauser family is gustavs, german, FN's, etc, etc...Mosin family is russian, finns, 91/30, m37/38/39/44 etc. etc.

You can say they are early military bolt action family, but I personally don't see any other difference. If they shared some parts, even 1 I'd give it to you but no I don't think so.

GUYS,

THE U.S. ACTUALLY HAD TO PAY WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A ROYALTY FOR EVERY M-1903 SPRINGFIELD AND SOME ACCESSORIES PRODUCED, AFTER BEING AJUDGED TO BE GUILTY OF PATENT INFRINGEMENT.

PAYMENT CEASED UPON OUR ENTRY INTO WW I.

THAT WASN'T THE END OF IT; IN 1914 DEUTSCH WAFFEN-UND-MUNITIONFABRIKEN, OF BERLIN, SUED THE US OVER PATENT INFRINGEMENT OVER OUR PRODUCTION OF THE SPITZER PROJECTILE.

WW I COMMENCED 10 DAYS LATER, NECESSITATING THE DROPPING OF THE SUIT, HOWEVER IN 1920 THE GERMANS WERE BACK WITH THEIR SUIT, WITH INTEREST, AS IT NEVER HAD BEEN PAID.

THAT ONE COST US $412K AND CHANGE.

JESS1344

I understand the point you making and just look at it from the point of view that weapons development runs in packs. Someone comes up with a new idea it is quickly adapted by others changing enough to keep one out of court.

Would Browning had developed the 1919 without the Maxim?

I think absolutely based on the radical design departures.

Either way its kind of trivial for us.

The biggest thing with Mosin's are the condition variances. Most of them went through WW2, and many are not in the best of shape. I always check to see if they have been counter-bored, then check the numbers to see how much of the rifle is matching. I try to stay away from electro penciled, force matched numbers. I also try to find them with either all parts being Tula, or Izzy if you can. If the crown is in good shape, and has strong rifling, the gun should shoot great. I get around 3-5 MOA with my '28 hex, and can get better with the bayo attached. The trigger isnt the best, but it will work.

For a simple rifle, the bolt is the most complex IMO.

If you can ever get all that grease out of the hiding places ...

That bolt is fun the first time you deal with it but its tough as hell. This is a battle rifle from word go, wouldnt want it any other way.

Some excellent videos on youtube about the rifle just avoid the obvious BS.

Mauser vs Mosin- Differences:
The Mosin has 2 locking lugs (like the Mauser), but they lock horizontally. The Mauser's lugs lock vertically.

The Mosin bolt is a multi-pieced assembly, the Mauser is singular.
*The Mosin has an interchangeable bolt head.

*Mauser is a controlled feed platform while the Mosin is Push feed

The Mauser has a bolt stop lever to keep the bolt retained while the Mosin just requires you to depress the trigger while withdrawing the bolt.

Similarities:

The Mosin and Mauser's bolts both rotate 90 degrees.

The Mosin and Mauser both have a blade extractor within the receiver.

• Like 1

If you get a good m91/30, they're great rifles. If you want a guaranteed shooter, buy a Finnish M39 from Pat over at Gunsnammo. They're worth the money and keep climbing in value.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366045712

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=364835307

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=364839508

Mauser vs Mosin- Differences:

The Mosin has 2 locking lugs (like the Mauser), but they lock horizontally. The Mauser's lugs lock vertically.

The Mosin bolt is a multi-pieced assembly, the Mauser is singular.

*The Mosin has an interchangeable bolt head.

*Mauser is a controlled feed platform while the Mosin is Push feed

The Mauser has a bolt stop lever to keep the bolt retained while the Mosin just requires you to depress the trigger while withdrawing the bolt.

Similarities:

The Mosin and Mauser's bolts both rotate 90 degrees.

The Mosin and Mauser both have a blade extractor within the receiver.

SALMONKING,

EJECTOR...

JESS1344

• Like 1