Rucksack - Knapsack - BO Bag

I have various pouches, duffel bags, "Flight Bag" etc but I want to get a good bag to keep loaded with essentials with room for a pistola or two. Not something big enough for a week's worth of clothes and bedding etc. I have a long "load out" bag for that stuff. This would be for knives, flashlights, batteries etc.

I guess what I'm talking about is a Bug Out Bag but when I think of this I see something on the small side. I have in mind something bigger but not a full blown back pack. Of course there are 10,000 choices.

What do you recommend?

Eberlestock makes some good stuff if youve got the coin. Id suggest looking around on bookoo websites around military bases to score a used one. Thats how i got my g4 operator. New it was 420$; i found one barely used and paid 250$. Hope this helps.

Eberlestock makes some good stuff if youve got the coin. Id suggest looking around on bookoo websites around military bases to score a used one. Thats how i got my g4 operator. New it was 420$; i found one barely used and paid 250$. Hope this helps.

Aah, add a spot for an S-12 very interesting.

I collect military backpacks and out of  all I have (Alice CFP90 Molle Molle2 Ilbe UM21 just a few) The Molle 3 day

assault pack is very good or for a bigger load out the ILBE works fantastic. For a bug out bag you want something

that will not fail, pouches, zippers, latches, and comfortable enough to stay on you to get to your bug out location.

The The ALICE pack is great as well but the metal frame has been known to crack. That makes for a shitty day with

a broken frame sticking in your back. I don't have a customized ALICE so I cant comment on the upgraded Alice pack.

The Gregory UM 21 is the toughest built bag ever but at 12 lbs way too heavy. The ILBE usually do everything uou would

need from a bug out bag and you can also get the 3 day assault pack to piggyback on it.Hope that helps.

I collect military backpacks and out of  all I have (Alice CFP90 Molle Molle2 Ilbe UM21 just a few) The Molle 3 day

assault pack is very good or for a bigger load out the ILBE works fantastic. For a bug out bag you want something

that will not fail, pouches, zippers, latches, and comfortable enough to stay on you to get to your bug out location.

The The ALICE pack is great as well but the metal frame has been known to crack. That makes for a shitty day with

a broken frame sticking in your back. I don't have a customized ALICE so I cant comment on the upgraded Alice pack.

The Gregory UM 21 is the toughest built bag ever but at 12 lbs way too heavy. The ILBE usually do everything uou would

need from a bug out bag and you can also get the 3 day assault pack to piggyback on it.Hope that helps.

This was my thoughts as well. Seemed to do the best for the price. Super tough, cheap, the small pack on the back is great.

I have tried numerous rucks while Active Duty. We jumped and rucked every modern military pack in the system. The ALICE large is by far the best for carrying a heavy load over long distances. It distributes the load better than the others and is durable. My team reverted back to the ALICE instead of the new SPEAR system. I have heard of frames breaking on the ALICE but never saw one in my twenty years of abusing them and that was the standard ruck for Airborne operations until the MOLLE crap came out. I'm glad we had a choice to be honest. Everytime we trained or played with the Army, they were always commenting on how lucky we were to be able to still use the ALICE. Just my two pennies.

I have tried numerous rucks while Active Duty. We jumped and rucked every modern military pack in the system. The ALICE large is by far the best for carrying a heavy load over long distances. It distributes the load better than the others and is durable. My team reverted back to the ALICE instead of the new SPEAR system. I have heard of frames breaking on the ALICE but never saw one in my twenty years of abusing them and that was the standard ruck for Airborne operations until the MOLLE crap came out. I'm glad we had a choice to be honest. Everytime we trained or played with the Army, they were always commenting on how lucky we were to be able to still use the ALICE. Just my two pennies.

Just curious because I haven't spent time in the armed forces or in front of a exterior frame pack, but, did you guys ever get trained on how to pack? As far as interior vs exterior is concerned.

Thanks for all the input guys.  I'll post up whatever I get.

Just curious because I haven't spent time in the armed forces or in front of a exterior frame pack, but, did you guys ever get trained on how to pack? As far as interior vs exterior is concerned.

I'm sure there's a method, do's and don't etc.  Would be interesting to know.

We had Standard Operating Procedures for everything we did including packing a ruck. Our ruck SOP contained a standardized packing list of needed items. We had our jump ruck that would keep you going for 72 hours plus sustainment rucks that included more items that would be delivered on a resupply. In our SOP, everyone packed their ruck the exact same way so if the need to get into someone else's ruck to get them something arose, you would have no problem finding the item. Heavy items like spare radio batteries and ammo were packed in the ruck so they were positioned closer to the individual's back. Spare water was on the exterior in 2 qt canteens. (You would try to drink the water on the ruck first to get the water weight off your back). Items were packed in logical order to ensure maximum accessibility to critical items. Sorry for the elongated answer. If you mess around packing a ruck, take the same payload and move it around and you will see firsthand, you want the heavy items closer to your body to improve your center of balance. Another note on the ALICE system, if you have the shelf for the frame, you can use the frame by itself to carry other cargo with the pack removed.

I don't have nearly the experience you guys do with this stuff but I do know one thing, it's a PITA to have to dig around to find things or to have to remove stuff to get to the stuff you need.  Quick access to everything is a good thing IMO.  The setup at the link akastormi posted seems to place a premium on access.  I'm sure there are others that do too.

Oh, and thanks for the tips MT.

Edited by Squishy

We had Standard Operating Procedures for everything we did including packing a ruck. Our ruck SOP contained a standardized packing list of needed items. We had our jump ruck that would keep you going for 72 hours plus sustainment rucks that included more items that would be delivered on a resupply. In our SOP, everyone packed their ruck the exact same way so if the need to get into someone else's ruck to get them something arose, you would have no problem finding the item. Heavy items like spare radio batteries and ammo were packed in the ruck so they were positioned closer to the individual's back. Spare water was on the exterior in 2 qt canteens. (You would try to drink the water on the ruck first to get the water weight off your back). Items were packed in logical order to ensure maximum accessibility to critical items. Sorry for the elongated answer. If you mess around packing a ruck, take the same payload and move it around and you will see firsthand, you want the heavy items closer to your body to improve your center of balance. Another note on the ALICE system, if you have the shelf for the frame, you can use the frame by itself to carry other cargo with the pack removed.

Long answers are good for this stuff. 

I do have a Blackhawk STOMP medical pack similar to that NARP pack. Easy access to everything as well. I use it as a med pack though. It would make a good BOB for the truck if it wasn't full of medical supplies.

• 1 month later...

I use a Condor or Red Rock buttpack for my Get Home Bag that I carry in my truck. Maps, compass, mini SAS survival manual, rain poncho, 3 days E-rats, first aid, hygiene, change of underclothes, 75' 1/4" rope, etc on a belt or shoulder strap.

My BOB is a modified (of course, lol) Red Rock molle pack that opens like a medical pack. Unfortunately I don't see it offered on the website anymore.