My Latest Project...Mosin 91/30

Did all the serial numbers match (butt plate, floor plate, barrel and bolt)? Would you consider selling it with all the original hardware, you can keep the boyd's stock, don't need it.

You did do a beautiful job of putting it together and the stock is incredible.

HOG76, I believe that It does say SA...

attachicon.gifIMG_2108.JPG

AA, found at a local gun show. You can find them online. Just look up Boyd's Stocks

As Arik said that is a FIN Nagant, you picked the wrong rifle to modify, it is worth much more than your run of the mill 91/30. It is sad to see a piece of history destroyed like that. Just because a rifle doesn't cost alot does not mean it is a good idea to modify it, but it is your rifle to do with as you wish. I just wish people would find pre Bubba'd rifles to use for their projects. 2c.gif

bws1, Thanks. I enjoy preserving history but, from time to time I like to think outside the box. These are everywhere down here so I decided to play around and see what I could come up with. Rifle will go to my daughter. She absolutely loves it. The new stock is very comfortable to her. Just wait till she shoots it. Will try and get that on video. Although, she has shot my .270, 30-30 before.

HOG76, I believe that It does say SA...

attachicon.gifIMG_2108.JPG

AA, found at a local gun show. You can find them online. Just look up Boyd's Stocks

As Arik said that is a FIN Nagant, you picked the wrong rifle to modify, it is worth much more than your run of the mill 91/30. It is sad to see a piece of history destroyed like that. Just because a rifle doesn't cost alot does not mean it is a good idea to modify it, but it is your rifle to do with as you wish. I just wish people would find pre Bubba'd rifles to use for their projects. 2c.gif

Out of curiosity, how did I destroy it? This I've got to hear...

And by the way, Nothing has been modified, cut or removed from this rifle. Original stock and hdwre still intact.When I recieved this rifle it was a big piece of rusted metal to be sold as scrap. If anything, I saved it from being melted down. the scope mount attaches to the new stock, not on the rifle itself. So Again, how did I destroy this???

As far as history goes, my daughter will have this rifle after I die. She will pass it down to her son/daughter. Then so on and so on. What's more history in that? This rifle will now live forever

I like it. I would have gone with a different color on the stock, more like my Marlin 60 a nice blue/grey laminate, but came out beautifully. I believe the idea of ruining it came from thinking the scope was mounted to the receiver, or maybe the policshing. Either way it can go back to stock form if you ever wanted to so I think people will cut ya some slack.

Modifying the bolt handle and polishing the bolt. Like I said it is your rifle to do with as you wish, the only point I was trying to make is there are better candidates to modify.

Finn captures are rare and if it was in unmodified condition you could probably have sold/traded it and ended up with (2) 91/30's

I do like how you added the scope rail to the stock. What rail did you use? Is it solid?

Re bluing, polishing (also sanding the stock, cutting the bolt, threading the barrel...etc...etc). That pretty much destroys the value. Unless it was just absolutely rusted through even pitting and lack of bluing is conisdered athentic.

Basically that rifle was new when it and its user were sent to fight the winter war in Finland. The owner of that rifle was probably not so lucky and the the rifle made it into the Fin arsenal, possibly rebuilt and clearly stamped by its new owners and sent to fight again but from the other side

I know they are a dime a dozen but there were so many different variations and different countries prodicing them that some are actually worth some money. I wanted a carbine (M38 or M44) and stumbled onto a M38 in ok condition for $200 a few moths ago. I was all happy to have a beater th take to the woods untill I did some research on it. Turns out to be a very rare M38 thats worth at least $500 in its current condition.

The "POO" is the BATFE translation of the first 2 letters of the S#. They state that there cannot be none latin letters in the S#

Whats the original date of mfg?

Edited by Arik

Like I said before, when I received this rifle it was rusted solid. was inoperable and was going to scrap. Guys, I believe in preservation but, when I obtain something that in most eyes is to far gone, I will try my best to revive and give it life again. The bluing was needed after I removed the rust. I had a spare carrier that had the charging handle turned down that I put in there temporarily until I polished up the original. I did not sand, cut, remove, alter, weld, or modify anything on this rifle other than polishing and bluing the metal. The bolt and carrier were rusted shut and took brute force and a lot of lube to break free. There were no signs of markings before I got a hold of it. I understand what you guys are getting at but, I believe y'all would have done the same, if not similar, if this was to come into your possession in the condition it was in. As far as value when obtained....$3.00 in scrap money. Now, priceless, as my daughter would say, and that's all that matters to me.

• Like 1

Re bluing, polishing (also sanding the stock, cutting the bolt, threading the barrel...etc...etc). That pretty much destroys the value. Unless it was just absolutely rusted through even pitting and lack of bluing is conisdered athentic.

Basically that rifle was new when it and its user were sent to fight the winter war in Finland. The owner of that rifle was probably not so lucky and the the rifle made it into the Fin arsenal, possibly rebuilt and clearly stamped by its new owners and sent to fight again but from the other side

I know they are a dime a dozen but there were so many different variations and different countries prodicing them that some are actually worth some money. I wanted a carbine (M38 or M44) and stumbled onto a M38 in ok condition for $200 a few moths ago. I was all happy to have a beater th take to the woods untill I did some research on it. Turns out to be a very rare M38 thats worth at least $500 in its current condition.

The "POO" is the BATFE translation of the first 2 letters of the S#. They state that there cannot be none latin letters in the S#

It's a 1939 Izhevsk going by the date and arsenal stamps.The first two letters of the serial number are Russian Cyrillic not Latin.Originally it would have looked like mine, which is also a 1939 Izhevsk.

Photo was taken on Saturday just gone,also bought the Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 which is a L8A4 7.62 NATO conversion :)

post-44524-0-83497000-1379449230_thumb.jpg

OP.....you've done a nice job there,if its saved a rifle from being scrapped and given it a new lease of life then good luck to you :)

Edited by UKAK

Modifying the bolt handle and polishing the bolt. Like I said it is your rifle to do with as you wish, the only point I was trying to make is there are better candidates to modify.

Finn captures are rare and if it was in unmodified condition you could probably have sold/traded it and ended up with (2) 91/30's

I do like how you added the scope rail to the stock. What rail did you use? Is it solid?

Didn't modify the handle. Simply replaced with temporary carrier. There is no better candidate than this one due to condition. The rail is Tula of course. I try and only use Russian parts when applicable. Hardest part was learning to read Russian.

post-45976-0-98434000-1379449726_thumb.jpg

post-45976-0-94503600-1379449752_thumb.jpg

Like I said before, when I received this rifle it was rusted solid. was inoperable and was going to scrap. Guys, I believe in preservation but, when I obtain something that in most eyes is to far gone, I will try my best to revive and give it life again. The bluing was needed after I removed the rust. I had a spare carrier that had the charging handle turned down that I put in there temporarily until I polished up the original. I did not sand, cut, remove, alter, weld, or modify anything on this rifle other than polishing and bluing the metal. The bolt and carrier were rusted shut and took brute force and a lot of lube to break free. There were no signs of markings before I got a hold of it. I understand what you guys are getting at but, I believe y'all would have done the same, if not similar, if this was to come into your possession in the condition it was in. As far as value when obtained....$3.00 in scrap money. Now, priceless, as my daughter would say, and that's all that matters to me.

This makes me feel better about what happened to the gun, if it was that far gone, by all means modify it. It is just sad to see someone hack up a historic rifle and that was not the case here. I found a pre Bubba'd mosin at the gun show for $70 it was a hex receiver Sestroyesk(spelling?), it was sad that someone butchered it but once it has been done, you might as well continue the process.

I do like what you did with the rifle, it does look nice. We need a range report though!

It's a 1939 Izhevsk going by the date and arsenal stamps.The first two letters of the serial number are Russian Cyrillic not Latin.Originally it would have looked like mine, which is also a 1939 Izhevsk.

Photo was taken on Saturday just gone,also bought the Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 which is a L8A4 7.62 NATO conversion smile.png

attachicon.gifIMG_20130917_212001.JPG

OP.....you've done a nice job there,if its saved a rifle from being scrapped and given it a new lease of life then good luck to you smile.png

Thanks. Nice pair of rifles you have there. Does the Mosin have all matching #'s?

This makes me feel better about what happened to the gun, if it was that far gone, by all means modify it. It is just sad to see someone hack up a historic rifle and that was not the case here. I found a pre Bubba'd mosin at the gun show for $70 it was a hex receiver Sestroyesk(spelling?), it was sad that someone butchered it but once it has been done, you might as well continue the process.

I do like what you did with the rifle, it does look nice. We need a range report though!

Will do. Though it may come from Haley's funniest ranch videos. Don't go to our local range much. To many politics. 700 acres in the Texas Hill Country suits us just fine. Got a 300 Blackout I'm just dieing to shoot. Got our last big boat race this weekend, after that, we will get away for a bit and will report then.

Photo was taken on Saturday just gone,also bought the Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 which is a L8A4 7.62 NATO conversion :)

IMG_20130917_212001.JPG

OP.....you've done a nice job there,if its saved a rifle from being scrapped and given it a new lease of life then good luck to you :)

the stamp "POO" to the left of the SA is Latin. Its the same as the original S# which is Cyrilic. That is a BATFE requirement. They state that no rifle can have none latin S#. Meaning it cant have Cyrilic letters that have no meaning in the US. The imoorter stamped the POO to signify the Cyrilic PY.

nice Enfield. I have a No4 as well. Liked it so much i sold of all my Mausers to concentrate on Enfields and Mosins.

OP, enjoy!

Edited by Arik

OK, first off, it's your rifle you have the right to do whatever you wish with it. Secondly, given the case that it was in, I believe you certainly did the ol' girl justice by doing the polishing and bluing. And even though it could be classified as a "bubba'd" Finn, I for one, would be proud to add that one to my Mosin collection. By chance. would you happen to have a "before" picture? (I haven't read through the rest of the posts yet so sorry for the possible double post).

Peace

Photo was taken on Saturday just gone,also bought the Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 which is a L8A4 7.62 NATO conversion :)attachicon.gifIMG_20130917_212001.JPG

Thanks. Nice pair of rifles you have there. Does the Mosin have all matching #'s?

All matching numbers and more arsenal stamps and stock cartouches than any other rifle I've seen,I'm wondering if as its pre-war they had more time on their hands to stamp pretty much every component.

Photo was taken on Saturday just gone,also bought the Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 which is a L8A4 7.62 NATO conversion :)IMG_20130917_212001.JPG

the stamp "POO" to the left of the SA is Latin. Its the same as the original S# which is Cyrilic. That is a BATFE requirement. They state that no rifle can have none latin S#. Meaning it cant have Cyrilic letters that have no meaning in the US. The imoorter stamped the POO to signify the Cyrilic PY.

nice Enfield. I have a No4 as well. Liked it so much i sold of all my Mausers to concentrate on Enfields and Mosins.

OP, enjoy!

I see, we don't have this in the UK.Over here they just go with the original serial number with no alterations to it and no importers marks added.Saying that I think my Mosin was imported into Germany at some point as it has a modern German proofmark on it and "7.62 Russ" stamped on it.

post-44524-0-75857300-1379491045_thumb.jpg

Older, pre 1968 imports didnt have importer stamps. Then the law changed and all importers had to stamp but they did it very small and un noticable. Sometimes even under the wood. Today they pretty much make a billboard that can be seen from 10ft away.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar one in the same Boyd's stock in forest camo with the scope mounted forward... (just a regular m91/30 Tula 1937, but a nice one... laminate stock, clean bore, no pitting, matching #'s. Bolt could use a polish but it works fine)

I didn't modify anything on the rifle with this project so that I can always swap it back to its original configuration... and I was happy with my cheap-yet-still-holds-zero-and-seems-stable-after-100's-of-rds $15.00 mount that replaces the rear sight... but I wasn't so happy with the scope. It's just a cheap ncstar 2-7 long eye relief that you see a lot of people buying for their mosins mounted in this fashion.

If your mount attaches to the stock instead of the receiver, that's something for me to consider down the road. I would prefer a POSP. I'd have to pick up a spare bolt though so I can keep the original one intact... or maybe just grab a nicer long eye relief scope... that mount, cheap as it is, really has been quite solid... and it still allows stripper clips.

gallery_48310_9_28905.jpg