Anybody own and operate a SR-22 plinking ruger rifle?

My friend has a custom .308 NEMO/SI rifle and was asking me about all the AR platform .22 plinkers. I thought about the colt / umarex model and a few others but after thinking about it, I said to get a 10/22 and have more fun.

Then I was showing him the 10/22 target online and noticed the SR22 rifle. best of both worlds I think. 1022 parts and mags with ergonomics of the AR and his hunting rifle.

What do you think of yours or ones that you have shot?

Thanks for your input. I hear there is a little problem with optics and cleaning the weapon. Something about having to take the rails off to do a good cleaning.

Looking closely it is a 10/22 action in "drag" ,I shoot a dedicated .22 upper , changed out hammer spring with supplied one on an AR lower and Black Dog Machine mags Flawless operation !!

That would be the way to go if he was using a 5.56 lower. The NEMO .308 is not a good candidate for swapping things out of or putting another upper on. They are kinda fancy and specific to the order.

I picked up an M&P 15-22 and love that little rifle. IMO it's the best AR .22 rifle. Has bho, bolt release button like an ar etc... A Lot better than that dressed up 10/22. Not to mentions it's been pretty damn accurate. I can hit dimes all day at 25 yds with an optic mounted.

I picked up an M&P 15-22 and love that little rifle. IMO it's the best AR .22 rifle. Has bho, bolt release button like an ar etc... A Lot better than that dressed up 10/22. Not to mentions it's been pretty damn accurate. I can hit dimes all day at 25 yds with an optic mounted.

That may be an option. I will suggest it to him, thanks! The one thing I do like about the SR is that you can use plentiful 10/22 magazines and all the parts from other 10/22 systems.

The ergonomics of the AR platform are important so the M&P may be the way to go.

I would never buy a S&W even if the ownership and board members have changed. I remember them saying something about regular joes having no good reason to own a semi auto pistol. This was when they only made wheel guns and I was too young to own them.

You could just do this to a 10/22...

Ergonomics is the key factor. The shooter is using this as practice since his .308 eats only fancy ass rounds and he is on a budget to save for new glass on the nemo si. I have seen the 10/22 kits like this for years and they are super handy for making your rifle small in a vehicle or pack. It shoots like a regular  long gun when extended. They are awesome.

After reading about it more. Some company with a name like nordic or viking or kickass builds the frame with rugers name on it and they are shipped to ruger where they drop in most all of a 10/22. It's anodized aluminum and seems nice. I haven't had one in hand. The exciting thing is all the 10/22 stuff will still work on the SR. Mags are cheap as are parts and barrels. If that wasn't a factor, I like my friends colt umarex. It's not bad and is nice and accurate. The S&W has more realistic functions of the ar. Not sure which is a better shooter. The 10/22 is a very accurate semi platform for the win? :)

or this.....

igf8tu.jpg

slick

+3 for the MP 15-22. It's weighs about 4 pounds, very easy to clean for a 22. I had to get another one because it was the most used gun during family range day. As others have mentioned ergonomics are exactly the same as an AR. Plus the 50rd drums are a blast!

thanks for the third vote. that really says something. i will let him know. after talking to him, we are both hell bent on finding the sr22 with the flash hider and rds flip up sights. wonder if ruger made them.

FWIW the MP is accurate enough for me. I qualified riflemen with it, stock sights, at the last Appleseed I went to..You can easily change out the sights for flip up, or just pay the extra $100 and get the MOE package it comes with folding mbus sights and MOE stock. 25 rd mags are few bucks cheaper than the butler creek 25 rd 10/22 mags and the M&P ones are more AR 15 like when it comes to inserting and dropping mags. The 15-22 are easy to find too...my wallyworld usually has a few in stock. 

I've got both the 10/22 and m&p 15/22. They both shoot great and I've never had a minutes problem from either. I like the m&p because of it's closeness to the AR, but I'm partial to my 10/22. I installed a threaded barrel on the 10/22 for using the can, and popping crows out the trees at 50-75 yards with CCi standard velocity is no problem at all, all you hear is the bolt slap and then the thud of the bullet hitting the crow. The m&p will shoot quarter sized patterns at 50 yards all day long, if I hold it steady, and you can get the 35 round mags for it as well as the 50 round drum, but you can get drum for the 10/22 also, so for me, get either or both and have fun