6 Bodies in 2 Cars in OK Lake for 40 Years

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/authorities-find-2-cars-in-lake-that-may-solve-decades-old-cold-cases/

I looked up the lake on google maps and found the boat ramp using pictures of the scene.  This is a very busy boat ramp.  Who knows how many thousands of boats launched right on top of these cars in the last 40-50 years.

I bet there are other people checking the bottom of their boat ramps today.

post-4831-0-79669700-1379606600.jpg

post-4831-0-57620700-1379601484_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-77399400-1379601053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus

This story is amazing. Two missing cars found at the same place. What would keep you from trying to climb out? Booz? Drugs? Lack of knowledge (at the time) about how to escape from a submerged vehicle?

I guess Ted K. really beat the odds.

Wanna make someone disappear?

I'd bet at least 20,000 boats have been launched off that ramp in the last 40 years.

I'm sorry, maybe we should be focused on the enviromental factors like, how much fuel was in the gas tanks... The entire lake should be shut down until we can do an Enviro Empact Statement. Maybe it could be reopened in 50 years.

The human tissue would have been gobbled up pretty quickly (within weeks). I'll bet there were some pretty healthy-size fish caught later on.

I'm glad I don't live there.

Edited by Sim_Player

A canal that I used to ride down every day to school had one wicked corner. Every time they drained the canal for winter there would be a few cars upside down there. At least a couple of times they were still occupied. 

A canal that I used to ride down every day to school had one wicked corner. Every time they drained the canal for winter there would be a few cars upside down there. At least a couple of times they were still occupied. 

Somebody should invent some sort of fence or rail that can be installed on corners like that as a guard to stop cars from going off.

In this region it's slate quarries. Most of them reopened with the advancements in stone cutting vs. cleaving and the coding for slate/tiled roofs in many areas. Many cars were found.

Somebody should invent some sort of fence or rail that can be installed on corners like that as a guard to stop cars from going off.

They should probably also make rules about how fast people are allowed to go and whether they can drink liquor while operating a vehicle too. More rules will save them.

They should probably also make rules about how fast people are allowed to go and whether they can drink liquor while operating a vehicle too. More rules will save them.

Or maybe some kind of state controlled testing and licensing to insure people know how to drive safely.

bad_smile.gif

Most people

Or maybe some kind of state controlled testing and licensing to insure people know how to drive safely.

bad_smile.gif

Most people wouldn't get the basic difference between what I propose and what you two are proposing.

Which is at the heart of this country's problems.

My proposal has no effect on anybody who actually stays on the pavement.  Your proposals attempt to control everyone with the stated purpose of preventing accidents, but with the actual purpose of entrenching government control over the citizens who ostensibly control IT.

You may note, that I was implying strongly that all of the above actually are and were in place and yet were ineffective.

The corner I mentioned actually does have a guardrail most of the way -- not ideal design, but there is one. It is the middle of a series of about 5 curves that have absurdly low speed limit, so people get frustrated after the first couple and speed up just when it is finally reasonable to go slow. It is also a slight depression and in the early morning, there is a shadow that gets frost where the other curves don't, so you have good traction on the other curves and even the lead-in to this curve, but not the apex. The guard rail is set back from the corner a little with soft dirt and a ditch, so if you oversteer your tires dig into the ditch sideways and you roll over the rail. (if you have a tall vehicle) A lot of cars were either ratty minivans or early 90s thunderbirds which have awful handling and more torque than traction. The thunderbirds and occassional 80s camaro blow the corner before the guardrail, while the tall ones seemed to flip over. 

I'd guess that corner takes 7-8 vehicles a year, but most people get out and have the vehicle fished out before the drain. The others either keep the drivers inside or are abandoned by the unregistered drivers who own them. (This is in an Ag. town..., lot's of people without licenses for various reasons.)

Most people

bad_smile.gif

Most people wouldn't get the basic difference between what I propose and what you two are proposing.

Which is at the heart of this country's problems.

My proposal has no effect on anybody who actually stays on the pavement.  Your proposals attempt to control everyone with the stated purpose of preventing accidents, but with the actual purpose of entrenching government control over the citizens who ostensibly control IT.

I thought it was sarcasm.

Where is Leonard when you need him...

What gets me is that there were people supposedly looking "everywhere" for these people right after they disappeared. I bet you couldn't find a more logical spot anywhere in the area to look for multiple people who disappeared without a trace along with their vehicle than right there at the bottom of that boat ramp. Seems like some pretty anemic investigating work going on back then.

I thought it was sarcasm.

It was sarcasm of course.  My non-sarcastic response to your sarcastic responses to my sarcasm was undoubtedly a jarring change of direction.  Wait, what...  beaten.gif

What gets me is that there were people supposedly looking "everywhere" for these people right after they disappeared. I bet you couldn't find a more logical spot anywhere in the area to look for multiple people who disappeared without a trace along with their vehicle than right there at the bottom of that boat ramp. Seems like some pretty anemic investigating work going on back then.

Especially when they knew the first couple was going to that lake and they never came back.

This has happened several times at Lake Evergreen, north of Bloomington IL. A car went off the end of the boat ramp in March 2002, and 3 of 4 people drowned. In March of 2009 another car drove off the end and a man drowned in it. The county is going to spend some big bucks to change the end of the road.  http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/road-approaching-lake-boat-ramp-to-be-rerouted/article_6d47fdd4-2350-11e0-a0a7-001cc4c03286.html