home conversion still #1?

Hello all, been a bit since I was on this forum and researching AK's period. I moved recently from small town out in the country, wide open flat places, to the "big city"= closer range and more barriers. That being said, I'm looking at getting a couple AK's. From what I can find the best bet is still buying a stock Saiga and doing the conversion myself. Any conflicting opinions on this now that stock Saiga's are around 500 bucks? You guys come across any places with better prices for the Saiga? Thanks much.

Arsenal SLR and SGL series are a better value. But converting a Saiga is more interesting and personal. It is certainly not any cheaper. Over time you'll have a closet full of parts and will spend your spare time cruising websites for more. 

• Like 1

Arsenal SLR and SGL series are a better value. But converting a Saiga is more interesting and personal. It is certainly not any cheaper. Over time you'll have a closet full of parts and will spend your spare time cruising websites for more. 

Better value for the amount of work that goes into the final product?

Better value for the amount of work that goes into the final product?

I can definitely see the appeal of doing the work yourself, but there's also something to be said for a rifle that was put together by people that know what they're doing and a valid warranty to cover the odd chance that you end up with a lemon.    If you chop up a stock saiga, you're own your own in that department.  

I'd say if you want a rifle that you are proud of and have a connection to, do a lot of homework and the conversion.

If you're in it for a rock solid AK with minimal fuss, let the FIME guys handle it.

I converted the first AK I ever owned (Saiga x39). That being said, my next AK will most likely be an Arsenal or other military config AK. The experience was (and still is) very rewarding, but I think I'll opt for a "ready to roll" AK next time.

What made you feel that way?

What's an average rate to chop a barrel down and thread it? I suppose I could get a Saiga and once my stamp goes thru have the barrel chopped.

I converted the first AK I ever owned (Saiga x39). That being said, my next AK will most likely be an Arsenal or other military config AK. The experience was (and still is) very rewarding, but I think I'll opt for a "ready to roll" AK next time.

What's an average rate to chop a barrel down and thread it? I suppose I could get a Saiga and once my stamp goes thru have the barrel chopped.

Personally, I would just like to know my next AK is professionally done, and more "originally" military. I had an AK-74 FSB installed on mine (like the SGL's). I may go the route of conversion again if I wanted to do something way off the wall with an AK, but my next may be one that I want wood furniture on, and therefore I'd like it to be more cosmetically perfect from the factory. 

Personally, I would just like to know my next AK is professionally done, and more "originally" military. I had an AK-74 FSB installed on mine (like the SGL's). I may go the route of conversion again if I wanted to do something way off the wall with an AK, but my next may be one that I want wood furniture on, and therefore I'd like it to be more cosmetically perfect from the factory. 

That's understandable.

The conversion is not an issue. I tinker with guns and my brother already did his. My issue is now that they are five hundred and up, does the home job offer much? As far as cost vs value. 

This is a good question.  I'll help you with the parts break down for a conversion...

• firearm:  $550
  • Internals (trigger, disconnector spring, retaining plate):  $50
  • trigger guard:  $15
  • bullet guide:  $20
  • pistol grip nut & bolt:  $5
  • stock, pistol grip, upper & lower hand guards (wood):  $150-$250
  • hand guard retainer:  $60
  • gas tube:  $35
  • muzzle device:  $50-$100
  • cleaning rod:  $30
  • 1000m leaf sight:  $30
  • shipping costs:  ? 

Am I missing something?  I could be since I have only researched the subject.  I am also in the process of deciding to purchase my own Iz-132 or going with an Arsenal model myself.  So far the material costs are $1145 at the highest end of my list.  Now you have to take into consideration tools.  If you are just starting out you might need a dremel, drill, bits, punches, files, and taps & dies,  Unfortunately in the end you'll still have a rifle with plastic plugs filling in the receiver holes.  But you'll also have the pride of owning your own converted rifle and the knowledge gained from doing it yourself.  Some will say that this is priceless... 

The conversion is not an issue. I tinker with guns and my brother already did his. My issue is now that they are five hundred and up, does the home job offer much? As far as cost vs value. 

This is a good question.  I'll help you with the parts break down for a conversion...

• firearm:  $550
  • Internals (trigger, disconnector spring, retaining plate):  $50
  • trigger guard:  $15
  • bullet guide:  $20
  • pistol grip nut & bolt:  $5
  • stock, pistol grip, upper & lower hand guards (wood):  $150-$250
  • hand guard retainer:  $60
  • gas tube:  $35
  • muzzle device:  $50-$100
  • cleaning rod:  $30
  • 1000m leaf sight:  $30
  • shipping costs:  ? 

Am I missing something?  I could be since I have only researched the subject.  I am also in the process of deciding to purchase my own Iz-132 or going with an Arsenal model myself.  So far the material costs are $1145 at the highest end of my list.  Now you have to take into consideration tools.  If you are just starting out you might need a dremel, drill, bits, punches, files, and taps & dies,  Unfortunately in the end you'll still have a rifle with plastic plugs filling in the receiver holes.  But you'll also have the pride of owning your own converted rifle and the knowledge gained from doing it yourself.  Some will say that this is priceless... 

Thanks man, kinda put's it in perspective. For me anyway.

Conversions are definitely the way to go in my opinion.  This isn't rocket science, and if you put your mind to it, reviewing everything you are doing, you can get a fantastic rifle at the end.  Plus, the saiga is basically the original platform.  Something of a connection there for me.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

• Like 1

A fully converted Saiga will cost as much if not more than an Arsenal SGL or SLR. The SGL is built on a Saiga receiver so it is basically a professional conversion. The SLR are built on a Bulgarian receiver. Arsenal Bulgaria completely retooled their facility with Western money. The quality is par or better than Izhmash. Specs are the same.

This is a good thread.

It looks to me like the price advantage tips based on whether you want AKM sight block, front handguard and muzzle device.

If you don't care and are happy with a sporter style front end, then conversion is a better deal, and if you want 'authentic" then FIME or some other AK variant. For instance, hose Zastavas look good to me, but I'm far from an expert on the rifles. It looks like a solid ready made AK from whatever country is about $750 on average from the casual observation I have done. So the question is: how much more is an FIME or a home converted saiga worth? Or is it at all?

I know they had a couple saiga rifle models with all that AK74 stuff ready to go, which made home conversion seem worth while to me. 

maybe so, but has anyone ever shot one out? I think I'd rather have a new unlined barrel than a surplus chrome of unknown treatment.

I probably won't reach the round counts on any centerfire gun in my lifetime. - well at least not with jacketed.