Who Needs .22LR? Act Fast... 2100 Rounds for $99 with Free Shipp

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same thing happened to me last winter when I first ran across this same deal.  I placed an order that showed in-stock but when I got the receipt, it showed back order.   They ended up sending it a

you done step on that. you're suppose to buy it first, then send the note. chalk this up to; lesson learned

filthygovemploye , You think that price is gouging  try $10 per 50 round box  local ranch supply  only game in town  and three counties !!   SGL ,  no way you can make me jealous with such a paltr

Posted Images

they only let me buy one.  it'll last 2-3 trips to the range.  I can only shoot about 100 rounds before the dirt gums up the works, and i have to clean the rifle to use more.  usually i don't want to bother cleaning at the range.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Prescott today so I stopped in J&G (of course).  They had 10/22 take-down rifles in stock and I picked one up.

They had 6 bricks of Win XPERT 22lr in stock.  That's all the 22lr they had.  $59 a brick.  12 cents a round.  But that's "normal" these days.  A few places sometimes have 22 for 7-8 cents a round but they sell out in minutes.

My 2500rds of Eley Sport backordered since Jan just got pushed back again.  Of course I'm suspicious that they're getting it in stock but not filling my backorder because they can sell it for double the money.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I was in Prescott today so I stopped in J&G (of course).  They had 10/22 take-down rifles in stock and I picked one up.

They had 6 bricks of Win XPERT 22lr in stock.  That's all the 22lr they had.  $59 a brick.  12 cents a round.  But that's "normal" these days.  A few places sometimes have 22 for 7-8 cents a round but they sell out in minutes.

My 2500rds of Eley Sport backordered since Jan just got pushed back again.  Of course I'm suspicious that they're getting it in stock but not filling my backorder because they can sell it for double the money.

EXCELLENT choice of rifle... Mine LOOKS sweet, but I haven't fired it yet due to my .22LR shortage. sad.png

post-33185-0-59905200-1381793537_thumb.jpg

The good news? GOT MY TRACKING NUMBER FROM SC TODAY FOR MY 1000RNDS OF .22LR!!! :)

If you need to wheel, deal, or horsetrade a few ways for some ammo, I have a couple of NIB BX-25s I can trade for... something? I could use some 9mm...

Ruger is ok but for takedowns this rules all...

If you can find one...

1 - LOVE my Rugers (I own 4 of them at present) and the stance the company is taking "this time".

2 - I'm not sure what model that is, but other than the mag and the Marlin docs in the photo, I would swear it was a 10/22 TD copy...? More details for the uninformed, please.

edit: Also, my 10/22 is way more "pimp" than that thing. he he he ;)

Edited by Maxwelhse

If you can find one...

1 - LOVE my Rugers (I own 4 of them at present) and the stance the company is taking "this time".

2 - I'm not sure what model that is, but other than the mag and the Marlin docs in the photo, I would swear it was a 10/22 TD copy...? More details for the uninformed, please.

edit: Also, my 10/22 is way more "pimp" than that thing. he he he wink.png

It's a Marlin Papoose...preceded by 10/22 by a long time...so technically the Ruger is the copy.

It's a Marlin Papoose...preceded by 10/22 by a long time...so technically the Ruger is the copy.

I was wondering about that almost as soon as I hit the "post" button... So... Hi cap mags? After market stocks?

Is it just a way better gun in general?

I'm not opposed to adding a sweet Marlin to the safe if .22LR ever become "affordable" again. :(

If you can find one...

edit: Also, my 10/22 is way more "pimp" than that thing. he he he wink.png

This guy loves it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FgaIb66bM

As for high cap mags, Promag makes some and they function but seem nowhere near as durable as the bx-25s.

Because the marlins are designed to take skinny single stack mags instead of the thick rotaries, there is a lot of bad leverage where it thins out to fit into the receiver and I could easily see breaking these.  They are also the hardest magazine I've ever tried to load by hand.

235196_ts.jpg

Uh oh...I just mentioned Promag and Nutnfancy in the same post.   nonono.gif 

Edited by SGL

Have you shot this ammo before? I bought a few bricks at a gunshow several years ago because it was cheaper. It's some of the weakest and smelliest .22 LR I have ever used though. I only use it now when I don't have anything else on hand to shoot. It barely cycles in my 10/22 and Kimber , and even then isn't 100%

A lot of the time I have to actually finish pushing the slide forward to chamber a new round after each shot. Just my 2 cents...

Uh oh...I just mentioned Promag and Nutnfancy in the same post.   nonono.gif 

Profag insults me far more than Nutnfancy... Maybe I'm a goofball, but I actually like most of his reviews (other than him being an EXTREMELY "tacticool" kind of guy).

Have you shot this ammo before? I bought a few bricks at a gunshow several years ago because it was cheaper. It's some of the weakest and smelliest .22 LR I have ever used though. I only use it now when I don't have anything else on hand to shoot. It barely cycles in my 10/22 and Kimber , and even then isn't 100%

A lot of the time I have to actually finish pushing the slide forward to chamber a new round after each shot. Just my 2 cents...

Haven't shot it but if it isn't reliable in my 10/22 I'll sell it or maybe get a bolt 22.  I really can't lose at 5.5 cents a round.

As far as the Marlin vs the Ruger, the Papoose has some good advantages.  So does the AR7.  But I like the 10/22.

Considering that the Ruger has almost nothing in common with the Marlin, you can't say it's a copy.  It would be more accurate to say the Papoose was a copy of the AR7.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I own and shoot both Ruger and Marlins, the Marlins I like a lot more but there is so much one can do with a Ruger that my competition rifle is a 10/22.

I can tell you for sure there is almost zero drop off of accuracy on the Papoose compared to the 795, which is accurate as hell.

Not bad for a takedown. 

The Promags for the Marlin are working fine, this aint a MBR so I cut some slack for durability, the Marlin factory 10 rounders are excellent and just fine for any real use. So far the Marlin Promag works better than the BX-25s work in the Ruger. Not sure why its so hard to get an after market mag that is as dependable as the Ruger factory ones. I just wont use anything but the factory 10s any longer.

Eley does have an odd smell but that doesnt go on my radar, the high end stuff is great wish I could afford to shoot Tenex exclusively. Never had a moment of problem with any of their ammo but shit happens so I am sure some do.

Edit:

If you can find one the tube fed Marlin 22 boltie will shoot all common forms of the 22. Short long long rifle all work. Not a bad little feature.

Edited by Rhodes1968

So far the Marlin Promag works better than the BX-25s work in the Ruger. Not sure why its so hard to get an after market mag that is as dependable as the Ruger factory ones. I just wont use anything but the factory 10s any longer.

Is that what you meant to say? Your next two sentences seem to contradict your first statement.

My personal opinion is that Ruger makes some of the best mags on the market. The guns you can argue about all day (my LC-9 is a bit on the cheap side, but it also costs a bit on the cheap side) but the mags always have struck me as excellent.

As far as the Papoose vs. 10/22 (and my chicken vs. egg question), I wasn't really trying to stage a debate vs the two. I was just seeking some more information since I do really like the take down concept. Tomorrow my fresh order of deuce-deuce should be here. I'm hoping to get some range time with my 10/22 and flesh out my full opinion of that rifle. In concept and fit, it's great. We'll see how it shoots! :)

Not sure why its so hard to get a 25rd mag that is as dependable as the Ruger factory 10rd ones.

there fixed it, my bad.

​The BX is the best of the 25rders but I had more feed problems than I will tolerate out of a magazine, which is pretty close to zero.  It is zero on any serious rifle like an AK for example, but I digress. 

Well there used to be (?) an all aluminum mag made for the guys running full auto kits on 10/22s originally, but it was about $100 even before the latest insanity so I wont count those.

No illusions about Promag, Ive a couple of AK mags I wont even sell to some unsuspecting newbie, they sit in a box in the attic. But occasionally they will make a good mag. So far the Marlin Promag has been flawless so what can I say?

The only complaint with the Ruger 10rd is availability.

Let us know how it goes on the take-down, have fun.

I guess I considered the BX-25 to be a factory mag as well...? Also, my 10/22 came with a 5rd mag out of the box? What the hell!? :)

The mags you're thinking of are still around, and still very expensive.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-lipbrmagazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

A guy I work with has a few of them and he LOVES them. The says they run like a scolded dog once you get the adjustment screws on the top dialed in. My theory on buy the MUCH less expensive BX-25s was to tune them with very small set screws drilled into the tops of they needed it for reliability. Honestly, you're the first guy I've ever heard of that doesn't like the BX-25 mags so I wasn't really expecting any problems... We'll see?

Not sure if I'm gonna get a chance to light it off this weekend (not sure what project I will be addressing.. one is in a shooting friend environment, the other is not) but I will certainly let you know my thoughts. Brand new gun and brand new mags... I expect a couple of issues just because of that alone. :(

That said... sccritterkiller came through like superman...

Ammo was on my door tonight! Send him a check in good faith (which still doesn't show as cleared at the bank) and BOOM.. Ammo showed up a week or so later. I plan to put in a good word in the user feedback forum for him too, but know this: the man's word is golden. THANKS SC!!!

Some rifles work fine with the BX some do not, I saw the majority of reviews on the BX were positive and thought well seems like a good shot, but it wasnt as like the minority there were feed issues.

People are modifying the Steel Lips mags by shimming the the front face with screws, all well and good but why in the hell is a similar fix ever needed on a mag made by Ruger ie the BX?

Ah me the great questions of our times... amazing.gif

Got a link for that fix?

Edited by Rhodes1968

Got a link for that fix?

Not yet, since I don't know if I need to fix it yet! smile.png

If you want me to take some pictures and mark them up for my proposed mods to your mags, I'd be happy to do so. From only observation, it appears to be a pretty straight forward affair to drill and tap the top of the mag to accept some 6-32 set screws and adjust them as nessecary,

-------

I agree with the rest of your statement. A company such as Ruger should manufacture all of their mags to work with all of their guns (frankly, any OEM company that sells OEM aftermarket parts should stand behind their reputation). There is no reason you should have to fuck with it. As a point of curiosity, have you contacted Ruger about your problem? Generally, they appear to be quite proactive about customer concerns and may be able to fix you up with warranty work if needed.

I got 2 of the BX mags with the takedown.  I'll test all three as soon as I can get to the range.

I've got 8 of them and plan to load them all up with 10rds and see how it shakes free. I'm very excited to hear about your findings as well! If Ruger is pumping out shit, I want to know more than anyone and will stop supporting their products with my money immediately!

edit: Fuck that... I'm loading them all with 25rds and only firing the first 10 (even given my recent acquisition of .22LR, I'm still not ammo rich in that caliber). Sound like a fair trial?

Edited by Maxwelhse

edit: Fuck that... I'm loading them all with 25rds and only firing the first 10 (even given my recent acquisition of .22LR, I'm still not ammo rich in that caliber). Sound like a fair trial?

Sounds like a good test.

One thing I really like about the 10/22 with the BX is that most of the controls are like the AK.  The safety is different obviously.

Sounds like a good test.

One thing I really like about the 10/22 with the BX is that most of the controls are like the AK.  The safety is different obviously.

Alright, then then the criteria is established... Mind loading yours to 25 as well?

I'll even up the ante... Wanna exchange 2 BX-25s and see how they handle in each others' rifles? I'll cover my postage to you, you game for the same?

-----

There's almost nothing that I don't like about how my 10/22 "handles". Well, the bolt release sucks, which appears to be an easy fix.

I currently have 2 kinds of 22 ammo.  40gr Thunderbolt and 36gr XPERT.

I plan to test multiple full loads from both mags with both ammo types.  

I'd be willing to swap mags as long as I'm not left magless.

I hear great things about the Clark trigger price/performance wise.  I'll probably do that too.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I currently have 2 kinds of 22 ammo.  40gr Thunderbolt and 36gr XPERT.

I plan to test multiple full loads from both mags with both ammo types.  

I'd be willing to swap mags as long as I'm not left magless.

I hear great things about the Clark trigger price/performance wise.  I'll probably do that too.

I also have 2 types of ammo... Remington "555" box from ages ago (whatever the hell it is) and my recent Winchester JHP ammunition acquisition. I'll run 'em both and see how it goes! smile.png

I won't leave you high and dry. I'll ship mine first, on your word, if you like. All 8 of mine are currently NIB.

Clark-what-huh? I was seeing stuff on Youtube were guys just took a file to their BHO and made it work as it should. Is there a big reason to invest otherwise?

Edited by Maxwelhse

The bho can be modded easy enough.  I'm talking about the trigger.

Ok! I'm in agreement so far... In dry firing the trigger is somewhat "slack"...

So... We on for the mag trade once we both test them out? If so, I'm PM you my details after I've run mine. I really think this will be an excellent review for the platform and mags.

...that said, if I have problems, the deal is off and I'll be on here ranting and raving and Ruger will have a good piece of my mind as well.