Favorite optics on your VEPR 12?

Let's hear what you are using, and why you chose it!
I am looking for ideas for a new VEPR 12 FSF that is coming this week.....

I need something rugged enough to take to the field hunting (harsh Midwest winter conditions), but won't kill my wallet!!!

I am currently using (on a fixed stock model VEPR 12) an Aimpoint T-1 with an ARMS #31 throw lever base, and have a Russian PU scope with throw lever rings that I can easily swap out when the need for a low magnification scope arises.

I like the compact size and rugged quality of both the T-1 and the PU.

(this is cross posted on the VEPR Forum)

I do not have it yet, but my choice is a Trijicon RMR. They are rock solid and multiple rectile choices so you can pick which works best for your application. No worrying about turning off, recoil damage, or batteries dying or being damaged in extreme cold.

Kobra all the way. I doesn't cause it to jam like some others I've tried. Yes it happens. Mount whatever you put on there from midway to the rear of the dustcover, not up toward the front. Maybe something really small would work like the Docter but I don't have one to try.

Kobra all the way. I doesn't cause it to jam like some others I've tried. Yes it happens. Mount whatever you put on there from midway to the rear of the dustcover, not up toward the front. Maybe something really small would work like the Docter but I don't have one to try.

I own a Kobra with a picatinny base.... Know where I can get a new on/off knob??? I went to turn it on one day, and it sheared off!!!

• Like 1

I own a Kobra with a picatinny base.... Know where I can get a new on/off knob??? I went to turn it on one day, and it sheared off!!!

You gotta be shittin me. I have the same one and the same damned thing happened to mine. Please let me know if you find a replacement. I have three others with the side mount but they don't help much with the Vepr 12.  :(

• Like 1

You gotta be shittin me. I have the same one and the same damned thing happened to mine. Please let me know if you find a replacement. I have three others with the side mount but they don't help much with the Vepr 12.  sad.png

I think it is a fairly common problem with the older Kobras to have this happen! The knob is made of some cheap cast "pot metal", and if there is the least bit of resistance when you turn it.... SNAP!!! I did not like this sight on my S12, but I had a rail over the gas tube, and it just did not balance well at all, but I think it would be far better if used on the top cover rail arrangement on the Vepr 12.

I will let you know what Kalinka has to say...

I just wish I had the funds to mount an Aimpoint T-1 on this (like the fixed stock version I have)! That set-up is GREAT!!!

Edited by 7.62m43
  • Like 1

You gotta be shittin me. I have the same one and the same damned thing happened to mine. Please let me know if you find a replacement. I have three others with the side mount but they don't help much with the Vepr 12.  sad.png

Try "Tantal," he might have some left.

Haven't tried that one but I really like my POSP scopes.

The PU scope is a nice, compact model for a Vepr 12, and works well when I am on the edge of a tree line, and trying to get a better view into the woods. I am looking for a red dot or holosight, but after shucking out the money for a new Vepr 12 FSF, I am strapped for funds, and would like to get by with something under $250 that is reliable! Not an easy feat!!!

I thought he was no longer doing business...

I tried an Aimpoint PRO on my V12 with the supplied mount minus the spacer and I didn't like the cheek weld, it sat to high. Never got around to rest firing it to see if it caused failures. I'm sure it would though. I love it on my iz132 in an RS Products mount, super low profile and cowitness..

I think I'm gonna go with a tiny Doctor optic or some micro red dot on the V12 when I get around to it.

I tried an Aimpoint PRO on my V12 with the supplied mount minus the spacer and I didn't like the cheek weld, it sat to high. Never got around to rest firing it to see if it caused failures. I'm sure it would though. I love it on my iz132 in an RS Products mount, super low profile and cowitness..

I think I'm gonna go with a tiny Doctor optic or some micro red dot on the V12 when I get around to it.

Thanks for the heads up on the PRO. I did consider that if no other inexpensive option was available.

I thought he was no longer doing business...

He's still on the ak forum. I bought one of the ones he had specially machined for replacements about a year ago.

Folks seem to be pretty happy with the sub-$100 microdots from Primary Arms. They were sold out for some time, but are recently back in stock.

He's still on the ak forum. I bought one of the ones he had specially machined for replacements about a year ago.

Folks seem to be pretty happy with the sub-$100 microdots from Primary Arms. They were sold out for some time, but are recently back in stock.

I just read that he is out of the business, but his daughter is running the operation now. I will give them a try and see if it pans out.

I am afraid the cheap microdot sights... I bought a Sig micro-sight (Aimpoint T1 clone) and used it for a while on my S12, but it failed not too long after I started using it - that is why I went with the REAL Aimpoint T-1.

I just read that he is out of the business, but his daughter is running the operation now. I will give them a try and see if it pans out.

I am afraid the cheap microdot sights... I bought a Sig micro-sight (Aimpoint T1 clone) and used it for a while on my S12, but it failed not too long after I started using it - that is why I went with the REAL Aimpoint T-1.

Have no fear, I've been running a Primary Arms Micro Dot on my VEPR 12 since day one. I've shot all kinds of loads and go clay shooting with it frequently. Over 700 rounds through her and the optic has not failed me yet. Rated at 1000 hour battery life, no auto off feature, but you can't beat the value for the price. BTW the SIG T-1 clone is complete trash.

I would look into a burris fastfire III next (if i had the cash it would be a leupold deltapoint), less bulk.

The T1 is actually perfect especially if you have night vision and an IR emitter.

Edited by DresNightfire

I had an RX30 on one of mine right after I got it.  Used a cheap riser on the Tapco stock.  Did not experience any problems with ejection.  Ended up deciding it would be great for competition but was overkill for me at the time & did not offer enough advantages in my opinion to keep it.  It was big on an already large & heavy firearm.  I shot mostly buck & did not have any problems with the sights.  I ended up selling the RX30 during a fund drive.

DSC02282.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the PRO. I did consider that if no other inexpensive option was available.

Its a great red dot. It sat just high enough on the V12 to where I would need a cheek pad. I'm just not a fan of using cheek pads.

It could possibly sit lower using a different mount but I'd guess it would have to be mounted over the trigger or pistol grip area instead of the ideal area over the ejection port. 

Its a great red dot. It sat just high enough on the V12 to where I would need a cheek pad. I'm just not a fan of using cheek pads.

It could possibly sit lower using a different mount but I'd guess it would have to be mounted over the trigger or pistol grip area instead of the ideal area over the ejection port. 

The Aimpoint T-1 or (or H-1) is about the best choice of all the red dots because it sits at a good height, and is small and light. Let's face it.... the Vepr 12 is not exactly light, and I use it to hunt with, so a savings of a few ounces helps. Since I am going to be using my new folder for hunting, I will probably put the T-1 on it, and use something else on the fixed stock model.

I went with Eotech XPS 2-0.  It gets a lot of love in other parts of the world on many Vepr 12's, and to me Eotech's just seem made for shotguns.  I use a Magpul stock with a 3/4" riser to get a good cheek weld.  Couldn't be happier with it.

I do agree the T-1 is as good as it gets.  I have one on another weapon platform.  But wanted to try something different, and like previously stated, Eotech's and shotguns go together very nicely.

Edited by Muffman

I went with Eotech XPS 2-0.  It gets a lot of love in other parts of the world on many Vepr 12's, and to me Eotech's just seem made for shotguns.  I use a Magpul stock with a 3/4" riser to get a good cheek weld.  Couldn't be happier with it.

I do agree the T-1 is as good as it gets.  I have one on another weapon platform.  But wanted to try something different, and like previously stated, Eotech's and shotguns go together very nicely.

I went to a gun show this last weekend, and looked at an Eotech XPS 2-0. Bulky and "top heavy", but it is great sight, and I think the reticle is perfect for the Vepr 12. I went ahead and put my Aimpoint T-1 on the new folder, and am thinking of going with a XPS 2-0 on the fixed stock model. I use the Vepr to hunt deer with (Iowa says we have to use shotguns firing slugs), and the folder with the T-1 seems like the best set-up for that use.

bgxs.jpgxewi.jpgoc8y.jpg

Edited by 7.62m43