do you like the new ak12 straight line stock?

25 members have voted

1. 1. do you like the new AK12 stock?

• yes
    • no
    • its fugly as hell, but if it works whatever...

I personally really like the updated ak but everyone has different likes/taste. If they import a version to the US I will definitely be getting one.

Stole this from the other thread. Figured a pic was needed lol

post-34181-0-41691900-1380077891.jpg

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 1

Honestly, it just looks like an AK with new clothes. I've never been a big fan of rails and such on them and i like a more traditional look. The safety update is nice. As far as the stock goes, it's just another stock. It looks a little funky but is in line with the top of the receiver. Reminds me of a SCAR stock a bit.

Honestly, it just looks like an AK with new clothes.

the action maybe a AK, and front sight. but the receiver looks completely different then any standard AK receiver. I'd like to know what that "button" is that is right above the magazine.
Looks like a cocking handle.

Not a fan.

Edited by Sim_Player

That's not a cocking handle. Not sure what that is. Perhaps its a part of the rifle that serves a tool like function.

I see what it is. Its a guide for the folding stock to fold into. Seems like they did away with the hook and spring and simplified it even more.

I like the new look and can appreciate the function over form approach.

ya, and i suppose it looked weird in 47 as well... oh well. im pretty sure that a regular ak is still straight line... someone posted  a pic of an a2 stock photoshopped over an ak and it looks like shit, IMO, as it didnt have that cut out where the screws attach stock to rear trunion.... i think to be truly "straight line" to manage recoil, they would need a stock ala the sig series. that stock covers the top and bottom receivers

I see what it is. Its a guide for the folding stock to fold into. Seems like they did away with the hook and spring and simplified it even more.

good eye. I also see that they put the charging handle on the left side

Take a close look at the channel on the dust cover and the raised hood in front of the bolt carrier. These dudes are probably running a looping charging handle that installs with the bolt carrier and is reversible to either side (pretty nifty).  That channel is designed to allow it to "slide" far enough back to charge, but if it's doing what I think it is, it won't reciprocate.  Lots of interesting design ideas being adopted with this rifle.  My only fear for the Russians is that all of these "improvements" are adding to the complexity and parts count of a design that is already the "great white shark" of firearms.  The AK hasn't changed since 47 because it didn't have to.  It was perfect then, and is perfect today.

• Like 1

I posted these before.  This is a Polish SF weapon in Afghanistan which had seen a lot of use and did get to kill smelly bad guys with beards.  It is just weird they run their receiver extension at such an angle.  Is that possibly an influence from the past like the old under folders that had a similar angle?  I don't know but this rifle does what it was built to do.

polishsfak4qt6.jpg

polishsfak3wk0.jpg

polishsfak2mh3.jpg

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

I voted "Yes." However it's all subjective. I like the idea, but if it actually feels wrong, then I would want to retract my votes. IMO all AK stocks would be improved with a larger but pad surface. If you watch people shoot ARs and AKs, most of the time people who have a good cheek weld only have the very bottom corner of the heel in their shoulder with all the force applied to a small corner. That's kinda dumb design. Body armor for soldiers creates other issues though.

That ugly Isreaeli AR stock with the extra bulge at the bottom seems like a good idea to me, but  I might prefer just a  really big conventional pad at the back.