Does anyone here have one of these?  If so what are your impressions?  Any issues?

I'm thinking of buying one but want to get the skinny from a few owners to confirm the quality and functioning of the rifle for the price.  I have not looked at one in the flesh yet but plan to do so after I move next week.  Right now it is all hands on deck getting ready to move out and in again.  I hate packing, sorting and moving but it has been 18 years since the last one so I can't complain much. smile.png

Thanks for your help.

Wolverine

Yes sir, I have one. Bought it about 4 years ago, and have about 5 mags for it.

Great rifle. Love everything about it. I bought the M&P 15-22 because it is the only AR platform 22 rifle that has the same layout as an actual AR 15. We train on our AR's using the 15-22 because of this. The charging handle, bolt release, safety, everything is the same as a 5.56 AR. Others are similar, but usually do not have the T-handle charging handle.

No issue at all with jams, misfires, ect. I have put probably 5k through it, and it is just a great rifle. The furniture on it is decent, but a little on the cheap side. That is easy to remedy though.

ETA: I remember when I bought mine, S&W was having issues with one of the springs in the lower, either the hammer spring or the trigger spring, don't remember. They fixed the problem, and the new springs have a blue tint to them. That is how you can tell the one you are buying has the new springs in it. If you get a new one, it won't be a problem as this was 4-5 years ago.

Edited by Semper299

I have one.  Excellent .22.  If it weren't for the rape currently going on, I would have shot it today.  I have it rigged up to match my AR-15, and it makes a good practice platform, as well as just a great plinker.

I destroyed my extractor with a head-space problem, which came from I don't know where.  However, I'd ascribe the problem to the round, not the gun.  S&W returned it to me under warantee in less than a week.

The downside is that parts to fix it yourself are few and far between.  S&W wants to see damage to the gun to improve future models.  The upshot is improvements may already be in the one you buy.

I have one as well and pretty much 2nd everthing Semper mentioned.  I bought one because I figured it'd be a good trainer for my nephews, future kids of my own, g/f etc...   Turns out to be one of my favorite rifles to shoot.   It's as accurate as any .22 I've shot.   My g/f that has only shot a few times in her life put 500 through it Sunday and had a blast.   When she brought me lunch at work today, she mentioned that she stopped at a few places looking for .22.   effin awesome big_smile.gif    

Only thing I've noticed is that it didn't like Winchester White box of .22.   The hollow points were wider than federal and subsquently a little shorter overall.  4 out of 555 buckled on the feed ramp.   It's only done it with that ammo though.   5k rnds of Federal and glittering Remington's without a hitch.

Edited by BeatTheTunaUp

I have one and like it a lot and so did everyone else in the family so now I have 2. The 15-22s and the MP22 pistols are by far the most popular guns on family range day.  The 50 rd drums are a blast. They are also very easy to clean for semi .22. I have shot everything from wildcats to CCI tactical in mine and no issues. I have around a dozen mags all SW except on promag and two drums and they all work great. You will not be disappointed....I would go ahead and get the MOE upgrade your going to want flip up sites anyway and for the price difference new as opposed to adding the MBUS later you end up getting the MOE stock for free...smile.png

The critters that used to run the back yard hated it....haha.gif

Edited by sccritterkiller

Thanks for the responses and information guys.  Good stuff to know.  I learned tonight that Dunham's has the 15-22 on sale for $70 off with a selling price of $449.  It has the threaded barrel but I don't know about an upgrade on stock and sights.  My son is partial to Magpul stuff.  I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses and information guys.  Good stuff to know.  I learned tonight that Dunham's has the 15-22 on sale for $70 off with a selling price of $449.  It has the threaded barrel but I don't know about an upgrade on stock and sights.  My son is partial to Magpul stuff.  I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I know where to beat that price by $30, and comes with the flash hider.

I've got one, thread barrel and flash hider, haven't had a minutes trouble out of it. They say to not shoot some different brands of ammo out of it, but I can even shoot the Aquilla subsonics and not have a problem, when my can is on it. I have 3 of the 33 round off brand mags and they work just fine. The only thing I can think of is the 2 pins holding the upper on are pretty snug, but that's the only thing. It'll dump a mag, even subs as fast as you can pull the trigger and not even a hiccup, even put my activator on the trigger and the thing ran great, sounded like a freaking machine gun on full auto. It actually ran better with the activator than the 10/22, with the ruger, i could at times, over run the trigger and it'd miss fire.

We looked at them and decided to get a regular AR for our daughter and run the .22lr conversion in it. Just a quick switch of the bolt and she is back to .223. It does cost more, but the flexibility is nice and she can practice on her own rifle with the cheaper ammo.

I know where to beat that price by $30, and comes with the flash hider.

The Dunham's model has the flash hider too.  Does your source involve shipping costs and FFL fees or is it at a national chain like Cabelas or Gander Mountain?

I do not own one but I have shot my buddy's M&P 15-22 a number of times at the range. I think they are a great little rifle. No feed issues, accurate, and no recoil. I actually was very close to picking one up earlier this year before they started dropping in price. They were around $519 out the door when I was looking.  In the end, I ended up going the build route for a dedicated AR-22. Although it will be clearly more expensive,  I recommend you also look at the Tactical Solutions Light weight AR-22 upper. The build below is on a Spikes lower, with a DPMS LPK, and weighs in at 5lbs 7 oz with reflex sight and magazine. I cannot say enough good things about this Tac Sol upper. It is superb in fit and finish and is an absolute tack driver. It is all aluminum, has a 16" bull barrel that is threaded 1/2x28, and is currently going for around $599 new. 

The target was 25 rds at 50 yards from rest rapid firing with a 5 MOA Reflex. I am sure it would shoot better with a scope as these old eyes don't work like they used to. Just wanted to throw that option your way in case you wanted to look at having the flexibility to change to a 5.56 in the future or already had a spare built lower. Regardless if you go the build route or get the 15-22, I think you will be extremely happy.

post-37530-0-60976700-1380350342_thumb.jpg

I have one and love it. Great trainer for the ar 15 like some said. looked at others but this matched

the ar15 controls better than the rest. It took a few months but I found mag's right from Pro-Mag

at a decent price. Not cheap by any means but cheaper than most. they function fine for me. Have

a little Bushnell 25 red dot mounted on the flattop. sweet little plinker.

The response to this thread has been great.  I really appreciate your contributions on .22 lr options and on the S&W 15-22.  Ammo is a another subject.  Ammo is available at some web sites but it is about three times the normal cost of $0.05 a round.  Crazy stuff.  I think I have about 1200 rounds on hand but I could lay that to waste pretty quick with the help of my son who is going off to Marine boot camp on 10/27.  I did score a 100 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt at $0.04 a round from Dunham's but that was a real anomaly.  I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the Cabelas $99. ammo can of 2100 rounds of Federal.  That was a sweet deal for those who scored.  Good on those members that got in on that deal.

It was nice to get lucky for once on that deal. UPS dropped it off this morning. From speaking with them on the phone about my order having been placed in the "back order" status though, it sounds to me like you should be able to just keep checking the site daily and will eventually catch em in stock for a brief time and get an order in.

On the M&P .22, I haven't shot one yet but can definitely speak highly of the S&W quality level of their rifles. I've had mine in 5.45 for since they first came out and love it. I've shot nothing but corrosive ammo through it and it's still great.... well for an AR that is...lol. Still sux having to clean it every time I shoot it.