S12 the final episode

i cannot count how many variations i have subjected this shotty to.  the last trick was to install a k model gas block.  AFTER i got the thing, everyone i asked said you MUSt relocate the gas ports, use a specific carrier and puck.  i started to get a bit miffed, but told myself "its just a freakin gas block"!  so i started this.

the major hurdle was getting the gas tube to mate to the block.  i came up with an adapter and had a friend turn this. i left enough meat to trim as i needed.  somewhere along the line i tried to see if i could run without the puck.  no luck with that so i moved along.

S12PUK1.jpg

S12PUK4.jpg

one things were situated, a few trips to the range were made to test, trim, test, drill etc.  ended up needing to hog out the gas port in the block to clear the ports in the barrel, but finally got it to cycle walmart bulk.

i also wanted a standard ak hand guard and discovered the yugo rpk retainer fits with a very slight sanding of the barrel.  it is as clean of an install as i have seen anywhere.

20130926_124036_zpscee08f92.jpg

20130926_124046_zps6ff31ac9.jpg

20130926_124128_zps6705c241.jpg

added a new rear sight that began as a ar flip buis.  cut the BS off the bottom and tacked it on the cover

20130926_124118_zpsb9d2bf2d.jpg

• Like 3

leland, it wasnt too bad once i committed.  i let the gas tube dictate the block location.  marked the barrel, pulled the tube, slid the block back to the mark.  eyeballed the ports and made a mental note where to open the block to expose all 4 ports in the barrel.  the hand guard retainer was simple.  the inside diameter was roughly .9mm smaller than the barrel section.  i ran a few passes with the dremel until is slipped snug.  located and notched for the retainer pin and walked away.  i had to remove about 1/8" off the front of the hand guard but thats it

129b2a8d-c35d-4585-812c-c58f9064fee1_zps

Edited by smartbomb

You've made a extremely effective gun, and I admire all of the work you've done here, and think its fantastic you've shared so others can learn and emulate.

Something about the look rubs me wrong though. I don't know how else to place this.

I love what you have going mechanically, the left hand charging handle, the over-travel limiter behind the trigger, the extended sight base, the fact that you kept it to the point and didn't hang a bunch of shit off it.

I think it has to do with the extra angle the stock adapter adds behind the pistol grip, the different lengths of the upper and lower handguards, and the gap left in the dust cover.

Its a great effective design, and I admire that, I just think I would do some additional fitting and dressing up.

Nailbomb the adapter does add a slight angle to the stock. I think the folder exaggerates the hell out of it. It does however give a more relaxed cheek weld. I will be replacing it with a fixed skeleton this weekend. the gaps bugged me at first but now not so much. It vents heat way better than the oem. I know its mental but it feels lighter. The most important thing is it eats whatever I stuff in the mags.

• Like 1

I have a lot of those rail-less 030 gas blocks laying around ... hmmmmm......

How much would you let one go for?

I have to hang on to them for now until K-Var gets another batch of railed gas blocks in.  As a last resort, I can tig a rail section on these to replicate the un-dorked gas block.

Nailbomb the adapter does add a slight angle to the stock. I think the folder exaggerates the hell out of it. It does however give a more relaxed cheek weld. I will be replacing it with a fixed skeleton this weekend. the gaps bugged me at first but now not so much. It vents heat way better than the oem. I know its mental but it feels lighter. The most important thing is it eats whatever I stuff in the mags.

Did you have to port it way up with that block?

Did you have to port it way up with that block?

not really. I had opened 2 ports previously.  mostly to clean it out some.  before I did this block I ran the same bit thru the other 2 holes.  cant recall the size but it was a hair bigger than the port.. I literally use the bit with a pair of pliers

Yeah Salty, Down rocks and I'm glad Pepper went back home and hooked up with Phil and the boys. They sound better together and Phil once again has a great guitarist to breathe life into his band. Woody has all the licks needed to keep the original COC lineup rockin the world, and Pep still shows up at their concerts & joins in a few songs when they want him to. Lots of newer fans keep on asking when he's coming back to COC but he was just part of the band for a time and a few albums. My buds have been making their own music their own way since we graduated HS in '83. I like em just the way they are now and they are kickin out the new jams as we speak. COC rules. 027.gif

Here's my man Woodroe on my range with his AK ( a custom Saiga of course...) a few months ago... and in the studio workin on their brand new album.

post-1293-0-72731700-1380293482_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-53044500-1380293525_thumb.jpg

He's pretty handy with both them axes there...lol.

Back on topic!  smile.png  Smartbomb did you mill your own piston (puck) there? Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but does that black mark on it show where you cut it down to make it like a regular S-12 piston?

Shannon, used the oem puck. what I cut down was an adapter I turned to mate the gas tube to the block. needed something with male/male fitting to slip into the female tube & block. treat it like a coupler. when I turned it, it was left long on the one side to give me room to trim as needed. it is easier to remove than add. on a side note. when I did first dry fit, my mind wandered thinking I could run without the puck. didn't work so the couple was cut to size.

that is some bad ass handiwork!!!

nothing special. what kills me is this shit is easy once you get over the fear of cutting into your gun. I did an s20 as an underfolder. that took me 3 hours to do with hand tools, (drill dremel etc)but 3 weeks to work up the balls to drill 2 really big holes in the receiver.

• Like 1

+1

That's the giant first step it takes to begin getting creative with these babies. It's like the first time you dare to dive into the pool by yourself. After that is cake.

Then the next step is going into a project you came up with on your own without a "kit" or a tutorial to explain every last detail. Those take most of the fun out of it IMO...lol.

Can anyone educate me on why you would go through so much effort to install the "k block"? What's the advantage?

looks cool! kidding aside I did it for the sight picture. my old tired eyes cant focus on the tiny bead. I am not a fan of rails so that eliminated other options. I have welded sights to the oem block but that makes me nervous given they are not easy to replace. I got this one really cheap so it was available.

grima, the block isn't self adjusting. I tuned the ports sizes to match what I plan to shoot. at this point the majority of my shooting will be bird/target load. I have only 1 mag that has buck shot. this isn't a HD shotty that what my mossy 500 is for.

as for cleaning, the intent is to install a RSB with conventional gas tube. I am still on the fence with tigging a rear sight block to the trunnion. the oem s12 tube was meant to be the test tube. worked so I left it alone. knowing me, boredom will kick in in January when it finally gets cold in florida. I will end up doing it. I have a Yugo rsb already trimmed just didn't pull the trigger (no pun intended). I don't shoot 100's thru this at a time so I doubt it will get too grimy. with the oem gas block I didn't pull the puck once to clean. shot cleaner down the gas tube brushed as far back as I could then use compressed air. ran it this way for 3 years with no issue.

It was stated by Nailbomb that it was self adjusting. Thanks for making that clear.

If it works for you & your happy then all's good. Thanks for sharing with us.

Being X military being able to easily field strip & clean leads to a longer life.

Being X military being able to easily field strip & clean leads to a longer life.

#1 THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!! I'm ex-navy

I get it and the plan is to use conventional rear block/tube. this facilitates easy break down. I just finally got it back together, even in the incomplete state. at this point in time, I want a shooter and not a table of parts. as soon as the dust clears I will add the other block/tube. I still have a krink kit a 74 kit and a psl to build, and not a hell of a lot of spare time anymore.

if you really want to see something cool. look in the saiga 20 section for the underfolder I did. that was a fun build.

Edited by smartbomb