Cannot fit pistol grip on converted Saiga

I was just finishing up my conversion I bought the CSS conversion kit, I bought a Hogue grip for my S12 and I cannot for the life of me get it on. I have taken off the trigger guard and just tried to attach the pistol grip to it, nothing works. The pistol grip lug on the trigger guard does not line up with the screw. Has anyone had this problem, any help is appreciated.

The second picture is where the screw is supposed to line up, and it is not lining up.

post-45322-0-79892500-1380323348_thumb.jpeg

post-45322-0-72477300-1380323368_thumb.jpeg

Not sure about the Houge, but most grips have a cut out that allows them to go over the trigger guard on the front edge. It looks like the misalignment is about the thickness of the trigger guard material.

vp3f.jpg

Edited by 7.62m43

I had to remove a small amount of material from my grips on both my Hogues to get them to fit my S12s I chalked up the square side and fit it to give me an idea of where to remove some materail from the grip. Remove a little at time, test fit, remove a little more test fit...you get the idea. My Houges had a slot on the front for the trigger gaurd. You have a square peg on the trigger guard and your trying to fit it in a round hole on the grip correct?

Edited by sccritterkiller

AJF,

I'VE RUN INTO THIS ON EVERY KALASHNIKOV THAT I'VE PUT A HOGUE ON.

GET A CYLINDRICAL, MEDIUM GRIT, STONE, AS CLOSE TO THE DIAMETER OF THE HOLE AS YOU CAN GET, CHUCK IT UP IN THE DREMEL, AND OVAL-OUT THAT HOLE, IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TRIGGER.

IT WON'T TAKE MUCH, MAYBE 1/4", GO SLOW AND EASY.

AS YOUR TEST, WHEN YOU CAN SIGHT OVER THE REAR EDGE OF THE HOLE AT THE BASE OF THE GRIP AND GET A STRAIGHT LINE-OF-SIGHT ON THE BOLT HOLE, YOU'VE GOT IT.

A RAT A TAIL FILE AND ELBOW GREASE WORKS AS WELL, LACKING THE DREMEL.

I POINTED THIS OUT TO MR. HOGUE HISSELF AT THE NRA SHOW IN HOUSTON EARLIER THIS YEAR, AND HE PROFESSED TO NOT BE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM,

DON'T KNOW IF THEY'LL MAKE MODS TO IT IN THE FUTURE OR NOT.

SURE WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS, THE FIRST TIME I CAME ACROSS IT, THOUGHT I WAS ALL DONE, EXCEPT FOR THE QUICK BOLTING-ON OF THAT GRIP, ONLY TO FIND I HAD ANOTHER MINI-PROJECT/ PROBLEM TO SOLVE.

JESS1344

GUYS,

ANOTHER MOD I DO TO THE HOGUES IS TO TAKE A SANDING DRUM IN THE DREMEL AND GRIND OFF ALMOST ALL THE FINGER GROOVES, LEAVING JUST SMALL KNOBBIES (NEVER BEEN A FAN OF FINGER GROOVES; MAYBE IT'S JUST MY HAND).

ON THE SIDES I TAKE OFF ALMOST ALL THE BULGES ALSO, MAKING THE SIDES PRETTY FLAT.

THE REASON FOR THIS, IS IN SO DOING, IT ALLOWS MY HAND TO COMFORTABLY RIDE LOWER ON THE GRIP, WHEREAS THE BULGES CAUSE IT TO RIDE HIGHER.

THE END RESULT, DISCOVERED QUITE BY ACCIDENT, AS THAT WAS NOT MY ORIGINAL REASON FOR FLATTENING THE SIDES OUT, IS THAT NOW, MY TRIGGER FINGER LAYS STRAIGHT ACROSS THE TRIGGER, INSTEAD OF AT AN ANGLE, AS WHEN YOUR HAND RIDES HIGHER BECAUSE OF THE BULGES.

TRY IT, YOU'LL SEE.

THE HOGUE'S "CUT" A LITTLE CLEANER IF YOU'LL PUT 'EM IN THE DEEP FREEZE AND LET 'EM GET GOOD AND HARD FIRST.

AS ALWAYS, WITH THAT DREMEL, SLOW-GOES-IT; IT'S AWFUL HARD TO GLUE THAT RUBBER DUST BACK ON IF YOU GET DOWN TO THE PLASTIC.

YOU CAN KINDA SIGHT DOWN THE OPEN END OF THE GRIP, SEE THE THICKNESS OF THE PLASTIC VS. HOW MUCH RUBBER THICKNESS IS LEFT, AND SAY "OK, WE'LL STOP HERE".

IF YOU DO GET DOWN TO THE PLASTIC, AND I'VE BARELY NICKED IT A COUPLE OF TIMES, I DON'T THINK IT'S A MAJOR THING, AS THE RUBBER SEEMS TO BE PRETTY WELL STUCK DOWN TO THE PLASTIC.

AND SPEAKING OF RUBBER DUST, THERE'LL BE A TON OF IT AND IT GETS AIRBORNE, DUE TO THE FINENESS OF IT, SO DO THIS SOMEWHERE WHERE THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM.

AND PUT SOMETHING OVER YOUR NOSE TOO, OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE ASPIRATING A SURPRISINGLY LARGE AMOUNT OF THIS STUFF INTO YOUR LUNGS.

THE END RESULT, FEEL-WISE, BECAUSE OF THE ACTION OF THE SANDING DRUM IS A CROSS BETWEEN SHORT-NAP VELVET AND FINE GRAINED ROUGH-OUT LEATHER.

JESS1344

I know this probably won't help you, but maybe I got lucky on my two hogue grips.   Mine had cutouts on the front to fit over the trigger guard.  Maybe you got an old version before they started doing the cutout(?).

As for other things mentioned, the Hogues fit my fingers perfectly and put the trigger finger in perfect position. 

My S-12

HogueGripGroove2_zps9c57d630.jpg

My AK - the arrow points to a small area where I had to file a little bit but not much.

HogueGripGroove1_zps80f30946.jpg

If you are going to do the stuff Jess suggested in post #6, the freezer trick is a big help.

You will get much better results doing that kind of shaping on a belt sander or failing that any larger grinder with a standard abrasive stone or sanding disc. larger planes are easier to control smoothly. Oil can change the texture if you want polished rubber. changing grit allows a fine satin texture. A course grit flapwheel will get sort of a suede type finish which feels very nice and looks good, but is hard to control for even shaping. I prefer to shape with a belt sander, then if I want suede, give it a very light pass with a drill mount type flap wheel. Little tools like dremels tend to grab and gouge and result in a lot of wavy and uneven finishes.

If you are going to do the stuff Jess suggested in post #6, the freezer trick is a big help.

You will get much better results doing that kind of shaping on a belt sander or failing that any larger grinder with a standard abrasive stone or sanding disc. larger planes are easier to control smoothly. Oil can change the texture if you want polished rubber. changing grit allows a fine satin texture. A course grit flapwheel will get sort of a suede type finish which feels very nice and looks good, but is hard to control for even shaping. I prefer to shape with a belt sander, then if I want suede, give it a very light pass with a drill mount type flap wheel. Little tools like dremels tend to grab and gouge and result in a lot of wavy and uneven finishes.

GUNFUN,

ACTUALLY, THE DREMEL IS WHAT I USE, AS I FEEL IT GIVES ME BETTER FINE CONTROL, COMPARED TO A BELT SANDER. I USE A PRETTY HIGH RPM COMBINED WITH A LIGHT AND CAREFUL TOUCH.

I'VE USED BOTH 1/4 AND 1/2 SANDING DRUMS, MEDIUM GRIT, AND EITHER SEEMS TO WORK.

A LIGHT AND CAREFUL SURE TOUCH DOES IT.

JUS' MY 2c.gif

JESS1344

P.S. MAKE SURE YOU USE SOME CANNED AIR, LACKING A COMPRESSOR, TO BLOW THE RUBBER DUST OUT OF YOUR DREMEL.

Edited by JESS1344

I must of got lucky to, my Hogue went right on mine.

RUN AND GUN,

INTERESTING, WHAT SPECIES OF KALASHNIKOV?

JESS1344

My S12, it might of went right on because of the Ram trigger guard I used in the conversion. I just ordered another Hogue grip for my Zastava npap ak47, we'll see if it fits that.

I do a lot of tinkering and my dremel is the most used tool I have. I bought the long extension cable for hard to reach areas, since the handle is less than half the diameter of the motor itself. Picked up a set of diamond grinding stones at Harbor Freight and they are surprisingly durable and easy to clean. Burred through lots of plastic, metal and such. With the plastic, after it has cooled, just peels off. I use a file comb lightly for other stone clogging material. When I did the Hogue through the top of the grip, it was easy as the bits have a long shank and with the quick change collar made quick work of the hole mod. I also cut the bolt hold open after it was installed since I didn't read the piece on shortening it until after I put it all together. The bits made clean up so much easier and I contoured the bottom almost to the original shape. The dremel has made the conversions enjoyable and using the stones instead of the drum sanders lessened my chance of gouging the rubber and made the final fitted area smoother. Been using the freezer trick for several years since some of the pistols with Hogues don't cooperate with my speed loaders. That worked great when I adjusted the grips on a Ruger SP101. Does a great job on taking off sharp edges and pointy areas. GunFun and Jess always seem to have good construction advice when I find a thread they've been on, as do many others. Like Jess said, a light touch and go slow.      

• Like 1