• PWS Mk2 mod 1
    • DSarms SA-58
    • Keltec RFB
    • DPMS LR-308
    • POF P308
    • Sig-Sauer 716 Precision
    • Saiga .308 conversion
    • Not listed here (please elaborate)

My S308 weighs in at 7.8# as pictured below.

I have owned .308's in an  AR-10, FAL, GALIL S-308 and HK91.

S-308 - the most economical, lightest and most utilitarian...

AR-10 -  the most accurate,.but most expensive. (Kinghts Ind).  Also the most sensitive to dirt & fouling.

Galil - the most fun and coolest and best resale, but mags are the most expensive and hardest to get  (>$100 each). Pretty heavy too at about 11#.

FAL - the heaviest (11.4#) and longest OAL with 21" BBL, but cheap mags (~$4 each).

HK91 - the most painful to shoot with a collapsible / folding stock and hardest recoiling, but cheapest mags (<$3 each).

Macbeau...

post-1473-0-00085400-1387126499_thumb.jpg

post-1473-0-28481700-1387126528_thumb.jpg

Yeah the FAL is not light in it's historic configuration but I did get to hold an FAL made by DSA with an aluminum anodized trigger housing and it was actually surprisingly lighter in weight than I thought it would be.

Best ways to save weight on an FAL is the standard profile barrel (instead of a heavy barrel), polymer handguard, grip and stock, sand cut bolt carrier, polymer magazines (Yes they exist, I have some for my FAL) and an anodized aluminum trigger housing.  It all adds up.

Edited by ShadowFire

Yeah the FAL is not light in it's historic configuration but I did get to hold an FAL made by DSA with an aluminum anodized trigger housing and it was actually surprisingly lighter in weight than I thought it would be.

Best ways to save weight on an FAL is the standard profile barrel (instead of a heavy barrel), polymer handguard, grip and stock, sand cut bolt carrier, polymer magazines (Yes they exist, I have some for my FAL) and an anodized aluminum trigger housing.  It all adds up.

I was looking at the DSA models. Atlantic has them for 1099 right now. States that they are 9.5 lbs without mag. What was your impression of the one you had in your hand? If my understanding is correct, the are US new manufactures and not assembled from parts kits?

I was looking at the DSA models. Atlantic has them for 1099 right now. States that they are 9.5 lbs without mag. What was your impression of the one you had in your hand? If my understanding is correct, the are US new manufactures and not assembled from parts kits?

The impression I had immediately when looking it over was that it was well made.  Yes, as far as I know, the DSA rifles are made 100% new in the US with no parts kits used.  They do also sell on the side foreign made FAL parts as well.  They claim they bought a complete set of blueprints from Steyr as well as the rights to manufacture the SA-58 FAL.

I also recommend for customization DSA's quick detach gas plug, it takes a relatively easy gas plug and makes it stupid easy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I can't tell you which one to buy, but I think the REPR is not a good buy. It is a fine rifle and works, but it is very heavy, and I think you could pick two rifles that you would be equally happy with for the cost.

I do like the largely Ambi design, the FAL/ AR10 hybrid features, and general build quality. It would be the one to buy if it were $2300.

Okay fellas......how about this Ruger 762, I just purchased it and my face is starting to hurt from the GIANT grin on it big_smile.gif

I put the magpul stock on it before leaving the store.

post-13516-0-62518800-1391894875_thumb.jpg

post-13516-0-15778600-1391894909_thumb.jpg

Model Number: 5601 | Caliber: 308 Win / 7.62 NATO

Stock: Black Synthetic, Collapsible Finish: Manganese Phosphate / Hardcoat Anodized Sights: Folding Iron Sights Height: 8.00" Barrel Length: 16.12" Overall Length: 34.75" - 38.00" Width: 2.50" Weight: 8.60 lbs. Twist: 1:10" RH Grooves: 6 Length of Pull: 11.50" - 14.75" Capacity: 20     Suggested Retail: $2195.00

blank.gif
Features:
  • Ruger® patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with multi-stage regulator provides a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm with superior operating endurance. The two-stage piston provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier.
  • The four-position chrome-plated gas regulator can be adjusted for optimum reliability and superior operating endurance. The gas system may be closed completely for manual operation during training or when using a suppressor*.
  • Folding backup iron sights include a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. These sights provide a solid, reliable aiming system that can be folded out of the way to make room for optics, but can be instantly redeployed if needed.
  • Six-position telescoping M4-style buttstock* is mounted on a Mil-Spec diameter tube.
  • Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity.
  • Fluted barrel (for reduced weight and improved barrel cooling) features an SR-556®/Mini-14®-style flash suppressor* mounted with a 5/8"-24 thread.
  • Round, smooth-sided Ruger® Lightweight Adaptable handguard with flattop receiver features a Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rail at 12:00 position that extends the full length of the handguard. Drilled and tapped for additional rails at the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions (two additional rail sections included), providing ample space for mounting sights, lights, lasers or other accessories.
  • Hogue® Monogrip® pistol grip* adds comfort when carrying or shooting.
  • Chrome-plated bolt and chrome-plated one-piece bolt carrier with oversized and radiused rear bearing surface.
  • Also Includes: three 20-round magazines*; soft-sided case; three finger-grooved rail covers.
Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • Like 1

Okay fellas......how about this Ruger 762, I just purchased it and my face is starting to hurt from the GIANT grin on it :big_smile:

I put the magpul stock on it before leaving the store.

attachicon.gifRuger 762 Rt side.jpg

attachicon.gifRuger 762 Lft Side.jpg

Model Number: 5601 | Caliber: 308 Win / 7.62 NATO

Stock:

Black Synthetic, Collapsible

Finish:

Manganese Phosphate / Hardcoat Anodized

Sights:

Folding Iron Sights

Height:

8.00"

Barrel Length:

16.12"

Overall Length:

34.75" - 38.00"

Width:

2.50"

Weight:

8.60 lbs.

Twist:

1:10" RH

Grooves:

Length of Pull:

11.50" - 14.75"

Capacity:

Suggested Retail:

$2195.00

blank.gif

Features:

• Ruger® patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with multi-stage regulator provides a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm with superior operating endurance. The two-stage piston provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier.
  • The four-position chrome-plated gas regulator can be adjusted for optimum reliability and superior operating endurance. The gas system may be closed completely for manual operation during training or when using a suppressor*.
  • Folding backup iron sights include a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. These sights provide a solid, reliable aiming system that can be folded out of the way to make room for optics, but can be instantly redeployed if needed.
  • Six-position telescoping M4-style buttstock* is mounted on a Mil-Spec diameter tube.
  • Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity.
  • Fluted barrel (for reduced weight and improved barrel cooling) features an SR-556®/Mini-14®-style flash suppressor* mounted with a 5/8"-24 thread.
  • Round, smooth-sided Ruger® Lightweight Adaptable handguard with flattop receiver features a Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rail at 12:00 position that extends the full length of the handguard. Drilled and tapped for additional rails at the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions (two additional rail sections included), providing ample space for mounting sights, lights, lasers or other accessories.
  • Hogue® Monogrip® pistol grip* adds comfort when carrying or shooting.
  • Chrome-plated bolt and chrome-plated one-piece bolt carrier with oversized and radiused rear bearing surface.
  • Also Includes: three 20-round magazines*; soft-sided case; three finger-grooved rail covers.

Holy crap! That's awesome! Congrats, AA! After reading the specs, I am drooling! Ruger is an awesome company, I am sure it's going to be amazing!

I have two 7.62 X 51 auto loaders. One is my FN SCAR 17 that I picked up in March of 2013 as the nutso period was calming down. I have added a Geissele trigger, a Leupold 1.25X4 VX-R scope in an AD Delta mount, very pleased with how the gun shoots.  I also got a good supply of FN mags at $35 each shipped as those who paid through the nose realized they had overbought and decided to thin their herds.  The second is a CETME which if a Spanish made copy of the HK 91. When I bought the CETME it came with four 20 round mags and I bought ten more just to have.

The SCAR is much more accurate than the CETME but both do an adequate job of sending ammo down range without hiccuping.

I also have an Armalite AR 10T match rifle in .243 that I keep thinking I will pick up a .308 upper for but to date haven't got around to it.

I am still pondering a Saiga rifle, but am leaning toward a 5.45 X 39 if I decide to take that leap.

Edited by Inspector 12

The Cetme auto .308 is actually a Spanish design (aided by post WW2 German gun designers). HK bought the design and expanded on it.

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. :)

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm building A Mega MATEN, just got a matched set from Rainier yesterday. I don't have a full parts list yet but after researching 308 ARs for a few years it's what I decided on. If I wasn't going to build one I would have gotten an M&P 10 to start with. If money was no limit, It would be a toss up between the JPLRP-07, LWRC REPR, LMT MWS and the PWS. All three of those rifles are bad ass, but overkill for what I want. Larue OBR and Knights SR-25 are among the best but I think there are better options at that price point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

^^^^Doesn't matter those M14s are pure sexy!

My point exactly.

Apparently, my post upset one of our n00bs.

If a year and a half counts as a noob. Also if I was upset, which I wasn't.

It does.

The Cetme auto .308 is actually a Spanish design (aided by post WW2 German gun designers). HK bought the design and expanded on it.

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. smile.png

I have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  The sighting system was new to me, but absolutely amazing.  Have wood and plastic (OEM) furniture for it.  Just a joy to shoot and have a box of bran new mags that cost like $20 or so. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. smile.png

I have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  The sighting system was new to me, but absolutely amazing.  Have wood and plastic (OEM) furniture for it.  Just a joy to shoot and have a box of bran new mags that cost like $20 or so. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...