Photo
- - - - -

Which autoloading .308?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Which autoloading .308 rifle? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which autoloading .308 rifle?

1. LWRC R.E.P.R. (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. PWS Mk2 mod 1 (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

3. DSarms SA-58 (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Keltec RFB (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. DPMS LR-308 (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. POF P308 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Sig-Sauer 716 Precision (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Saiga .308 conversion (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

9. Not listed here (please elaborate) (14 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 macbeau

macbeau

Pawn on the two-way range of life

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

My S308 weighs in at 7.8# as pictured below.

I have owned .308's in an  AR-10, FAL, GALIL S-308 and HK91.

S-308 - the most economical, lightest and most utilitarian...

AR-10 -  the most accurate,.but most expensive. (Kinghts Ind).  Also the most sensitive to dirt & fouling.

Galil - the most fun and coolest and best resale, but mags are the most expensive and hardest to get  (>$100 each). Pretty heavy too at about 11#.

FAL - the heaviest (11.4#) and longest OAL with 21" BBL, but cheap mags (~$4 each).

HK91 - the most painful to shoot with a collapsible / folding stock and hardest recoiling, but cheapest mags (<$3 each).

Macbeau...

Attached Files

• Attached File  049.JPG   133.48KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  050.JPG   133.45KB   0 downloads

"Inside every liberal is an American trying to get out." -- Macbeau (2004)

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." -- Sir Winston Churchill (1943)

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC. (1991)

"Statistics in the hands of an liberal are like a lamp-post to a drunk - they're used more for support than illumination." -- Bill Sangster (1989)

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
- Unknown...

#32 ShadowFire

ShadowFire

You CAN do it yourself.

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Yeah the FAL is not light in it's historic configuration but I did get to hold an FAL made by DSA with an aluminum anodized trigger housing and it was actually surprisingly lighter in weight than I thought it would be.

Best ways to save weight on an FAL is the standard profile barrel (instead of a heavy barrel), polymer handguard, grip and stock, sand cut bolt carrier, polymer magazines (Yes they exist, I have some for my FAL) and an anodized aluminum trigger housing.  It all adds up.

Edited by ShadowFire, 15 December 2013 - 10:38 PM.

Fight Terror, Support Israel

#33 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yeah the FAL is not light in it's historic configuration but I did get to hold an FAL made by DSA with an aluminum anodized trigger housing and it was actually surprisingly lighter in weight than I thought it would be.

Best ways to save weight on an FAL is the standard profile barrel (instead of a heavy barrel), polymer handguard, grip and stock, sand cut bolt carrier, polymer magazines (Yes they exist, I have some for my FAL) and an anodized aluminum trigger housing.  It all adds up.

I was looking at the DSA models. Atlantic has them for 1099 right now. States that they are 9.5 lbs without mag. What was your impression of the one you had in your hand? If my understanding is correct, the are US new manufactures and not assembled from parts kits?

#34 ShadowFire

ShadowFire

You CAN do it yourself.

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I was looking at the DSA models. Atlantic has them for 1099 right now. States that they are 9.5 lbs without mag. What was your impression of the one you had in your hand? If my understanding is correct, the are US new manufactures and not assembled from parts kits?

The impression I had immediately when looking it over was that it was well made.  Yes, as far as I know, the DSA rifles are made 100% new in the US with no parts kits used.  They do also sell on the side foreign made FAL parts as well.  They claim they bought a complete set of blueprints from Steyr as well as the rights to manufacture the SA-58 FAL.

I also recommend for customization DSA's quick detach gas plug, it takes a relatively easy gas plug and makes it stupid easy.

• Spacehog likes this

#35 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

I will have to take a closer look at them. My interest has just been peaked.

#36 Ak Monty

Ak Monty

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

My vote sticks with a s308. Lighest and cheapest. Its no track driver but will take game easily at 200 yards with irons.

#37 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I can't tell you which one to buy, but I think the REPR is not a good buy. It is a fine rifle and works, but it is very heavy, and I think you could pick two rifles that you would be equally happy with for the cost.

I do like the largely Ambi design, the FAL/ AR10 hybrid features, and general build quality. It would be the one to buy if it were $2300.

#38 AA re-cvrd

AA re-cvrd

Take It

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

Okay fellas......how about this Ruger 762, I just purchased it and my face is starting to hurt from the GIANT grin on it big_smile.gif

I put the magpul stock on it before leaving the store.

Attached File  Ruger 762 Rt side.jpg   67.63KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Ruger 762 Lft Side.jpg   67.63KB   1 downloads

Model Number: 5601 | Caliber: 308 Win / 7.62 NATO

Stock: Black Synthetic, Collapsible Finish: Manganese Phosphate / Hardcoat Anodized Sights: Folding Iron Sights Height: 8.00" Barrel Length: 16.12" Overall Length: 34.75" - 38.00" Width: 2.50" Weight: 8.60 lbs. Twist: 1:10" RH Grooves: 6 Length of Pull: 11.50" - 14.75" Capacity: 20     Suggested Retail: $2195.00

blank.gif
Features:
  • Ruger® patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with multi-stage regulator provides a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm with superior operating endurance. The two-stage piston provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier.
  • The four-position chrome-plated gas regulator can be adjusted for optimum reliability and superior operating endurance. The gas system may be closed completely for manual operation during training or when using a suppressor*.
  • Folding backup iron sights include a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. These sights provide a solid, reliable aiming system that can be folded out of the way to make room for optics, but can be instantly redeployed if needed.
  • Six-position telescoping M4-style buttstock* is mounted on a Mil-Spec diameter tube.
  • Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity.
  • Fluted barrel (for reduced weight and improved barrel cooling) features an SR-556®/Mini-14®-style flash suppressor* mounted with a 5/8"-24 thread.
  • Round, smooth-sided Ruger® Lightweight Adaptable handguard with flattop receiver features a Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rail at 12:00 position that extends the full length of the handguard. Drilled and tapped for additional rails at the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions (two additional rail sections included), providing ample space for mounting sights, lights, lasers or other accessories.
  • Hogue® Monogrip® pistol grip* adds comfort when carrying or shooting.
  • Chrome-plated bolt and chrome-plated one-piece bolt carrier with oversized and radiused rear bearing surface.
  • Also Includes: three 20-round magazines*; soft-sided case; three finger-grooved rail covers.

Edited by AA re-cvrd, 08 February 2014 - 06:17 PM.

• macbeau likes this

Ever meet somebody you just knew you shouldn't fuck with

Save the last round for me.

#39 Remek

Remek

Assassin

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Okay fellas......how about this Ruger 762, I just purchased it and my face is starting to hurt from the GIANT grin on it :big_smile:
I put the magpul stock on it before leaving the store.

attachicon.gifRuger 762 Rt side.jpg
attachicon.gifRuger 762 Lft Side.jpg

Model Number: 5601 | Caliber: 308 Win / 7.62 NATO

Stock:

Black Synthetic, Collapsible

Finish:

Manganese Phosphate / Hardcoat Anodized

Sights:

Folding Iron Sights

Height:

8.00"

Barrel Length:

16.12"

Overall Length:

34.75" - 38.00"

Width:

2.50"

Weight:

8.60 lbs.

Twist:

1:10" RH

Grooves:

Length of Pull:

11.50" - 14.75"

Capacity:

Suggested Retail:

$2195.00

blank.gif

Features:

• Ruger® patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with multi-stage regulator provides a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm with superior operating endurance. The two-stage piston provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier.
  • The four-position chrome-plated gas regulator can be adjusted for optimum reliability and superior operating endurance. The gas system may be closed completely for manual operation during training or when using a suppressor*.
  • Folding backup iron sights include a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. These sights provide a solid, reliable aiming system that can be folded out of the way to make room for optics, but can be instantly redeployed if needed.
  • Six-position telescoping M4-style buttstock* is mounted on a Mil-Spec diameter tube.
  • Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity.
  • Fluted barrel (for reduced weight and improved barrel cooling) features an SR-556®/Mini-14®-style flash suppressor* mounted with a 5/8"-24 thread.
  • Round, smooth-sided Ruger® Lightweight Adaptable handguard with flattop receiver features a Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rail at 12:00 position that extends the full length of the handguard. Drilled and tapped for additional rails at the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions (two additional rail sections included), providing ample space for mounting sights, lights, lasers or other accessories.
  • Hogue® Monogrip® pistol grip* adds comfort when carrying or shooting.
  • Chrome-plated bolt and chrome-plated one-piece bolt carrier with oversized and radiused rear bearing surface.
  • Also Includes: three 20-round magazines*; soft-sided case; three finger-grooved rail covers.

Holy crap! That's awesome! Congrats, AA! After reading the specs, I am drooling! Ruger is an awesome company, I am sure it's going to be amazing!

"Buck Melanoma.  Moley Russell's wart." - John Candy, Uncle Buck.

#40 Inspector 12

Inspector 12

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have two 7.62 X 51 auto loaders. One is my FN SCAR 17 that I picked up in March of 2013 as the nutso period was calming down. I have added a Geissele trigger, a Leupold 1.25X4 VX-R scope in an AD Delta mount, very pleased with how the gun shoots.  I also got a good supply of FN mags at $35 each shipped as those who paid through the nose realized they had overbought and decided to thin their herds.  The second is a CETME which if a Spanish made copy of the HK 91. When I bought the CETME it came with four 20 round mags and I bought ten more just to have.

The SCAR is much more accurate than the CETME but both do an adequate job of sending ammo down range without hiccuping.

I also have an Armalite AR 10T match rifle in .243 that I keep thinking I will pick up a .308 upper for but to date haven't got around to it.

I am still pondering a Saiga rifle, but am leaning toward a 5.45 X 39 if I decide to take that leap.

Edited by Inspector 12, 08 February 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#41 Sim_Player

Sim_Player

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

The Cetme auto .308 is actually a Spanish design (aided by post WW2 German gun designers). HK bought the design and expanded on it.

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. :)

Edited by Sim_Player, 09 February 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#42 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

M1A/M14 Semi with a synthetic stock. Great gun. Very accurate. Dirt tolerant. Parts easy to get. Upgradeable, but who needs to? Issued to US snipers/designated marksmen. 

• AA re-cvrd and Spacehog like this

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#43 Vance665

Vance665

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm building A Mega MATEN, just got a matched set from Rainier yesterday. I don't have a full parts list yet but after researching 308 ARs for a few years it's what I decided on. If I wasn't going to build one I would have gotten an M&P 10 to start with. If money was no limit, It would be a toss up between the JPLRP-07, LWRC REPR, LMT MWS and the PWS. All three of those rifles are bad ass, but overkill for what I want. Larue OBR and Knights SR-25 are among the best but I think there are better options at that price point.

#44 dashowdy

dashowdy

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

vepr 308 hunter or a super vepr in 308 for accuracy, saiga for everything else.

#45 Bunker83

Bunker83

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:41 AM

FNAR tack driver out of the box!
  • WhiskeyMinion likes this

#46 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/M14_rifle

1920px-M14_rifle_-_USA_-_7%2C62x51mm_-_S

Edited by patriot, 29 July 2016 - 06:20 AM.

• unforgiven and Spacehog like this

"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25

#47 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Deep Fat Fry

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/M14_rifle

1920px-M14_rifle_-_USA_-_7%2C62x51mm_-_S

....you do know this was a poll necro-bump right?
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." Lawrence J. Peter

#48 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

^^^^Doesn't matter those M14s are pure sexy!
  • patriot likes this

#49 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

My point exactly.

Apparently, my post upset one of our n00bs.

#50 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Deep Fat Fry

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

My point exactly.

If a year and a half counts as a noob. Also if I was upset, which I wasn't.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." Lawrence J. Peter

#51 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

My point exactly.

If a year and a half counts as a noob. Also if I was upset, which I wasn't.

It does.

#52 sjgusmc21

sjgusmc21

Citizen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

The Cetme auto .308 is actually a Spanish design (aided by post WW2 German gun designers). HK bought the design and expanded on it.

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. smile.png

I have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  The sighting system was new to me, but absolutely amazing.  Have wood and plastic (OEM) furniture for it.  Just a joy to shoot and have a box of bran new mags that cost like $20 or so. 

#53 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

Mine has almost no recoil and the muzzle-break will blow the ammo boxes of the bench next to me. smile.png

I have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  The sighting system was new to me, but absolutely amazing.  Have wood and plastic (OEM) furniture for it.  Just a joy to shoot and have a box of bran new mags that cost like $20 or so. 

#54 JDeko

JDeko

Petty Like a Petticoat

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

PTR91s are pretty awesome, something great about hurling your brass almost to the 25yrd bullet trap when you shoot at the indoor range. 

I Dream of Electric Sheep

And All My Responses Stay the Same 
They're Just Zeroes And Ones, I Can't Have Fun 
And I'm the Only One to Blame 

#55 ShadowFire

ShadowFire

You CAN do it yourself.

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Damn Spacehog, this post is still going.  lol

Well since we're posting pictures it seems.  Here's the FAL.  Also other .308s I have are in my gallery.

gallery_33361_710_3811987.jpg

#56 JDeko

JDeko

Petty Like a Petticoat

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

My baby:

15319298_1285251991536699_37947795813024

• ShadowFire likes this