So... if I were to jam a dowel in the barrel and plug up THAT end of the gas port... and then pour molten lead into the gas block, from the bolt carrier end... filling the gas block completely with lead...  then remove the dowel rod ... 

How would that work to " permanently modify" the Saiga to be a " Single Shot" rifle... requiring a racking of the bolt for EACH and EVERY shot... much like a " Bolt Action" rifle?!?!?!?

What are your thoughts and opinions on this mod???

How about I weld a magazine to the receiver.... no longer DETACHABLE MAGAZINE CAPABLE... no longer an assault weapon...  no need to register... LOL  how about THAT???  now must it be a 10??? what about a 20 or 30 round *NON* DETACHABLE magazine?!?!?!

Tell me to move out of NY and I will stick you on permanent mod preview... tongue.png  LOL 

Looking for a " loophole" to avoid potential " registration" of AK style rifles.

000.gif

I would have done moved...  Oh that's right I did move, leaving Kalifornia was one of my better ideas in life.

And so glad I did, they're making NYS look 2A friendly.

I don't think the lead would be considered permanent, too easy to remove with relatively low heat.

G'luck with your endeavor.

Hell, I should have sent you my factory gas plug!  Set that plug to #1, and tack weld it, and you wouldn't have enough gas to cycle anything!  Too bad I done fixed it!

Filling with lead would still be removeable and not permanent.

Better solution is to fill the politicians with lead and they won't work again!  big_smile.gif

• Like 3

Better solution is to fill the politicians with lead and they won't work again!  big_smile.gif

Would not be surprised if you were visited by one of the Alphabet Agencies.  haha.gif

Whatever you do to it, I'd suggest having the mods approved and signed off on by the NYSP.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Hell, I should have sent you my factory gas plug!  Set that plug to #1, and tack weld it, and you wouldn't have enough gas to cycle anything!  Too bad I done fixed it!

Filling with lead would still be removeable and not permanent.

Not sure how a gas plug would work on all the models of rifles... 

I suppose lead would be a " temporary" solution... so how about welding a ball bearing into the gas block???  a flat round disk welded into the gas block???

needs to be " permanent" .... but like we all know...  reversible... with enough smithing... but not EASILY done...

:smoke:

For a rifle how about getting one of those unfinished gas blocks (ya know the one that comes up if you search gas block on centerfire systems website) and just don't drill the gas port thru it. 

Keep your original hidden, switching back would be as simple as swapping gas blocks.

For the S12, ship it to me and i'll keep it safe from your yankee laws down here in SC. 

• Like 1

For a rifle how about getting one of those unfinished gas blocks (ya know the one that comes up if you search gas block on centerfire systems website) and just don't drill the gas port thru it. 

Keep your original hidden, switching back would be as simple as swapping gas blocks.

For the S12, ship it to me and i'll keep it safe from your yankee laws down here in SC.

^^^ this was my first thought as well. I do not know the specifics of the NY laws now, but I can't imagine politicians are intelligent enough to ban gas blocks. Modify one for single shot, and retain a factory one.

• Like 1

If it's an S12 just remove the puck.  It won't cycle without it.  Or just get a cheap replacement gas plug and drill a hole through it so it vents all the gas out.  Can't cycle like that either. If it's a rifle you are talking about, drill out the dimple on the gas piston and remove it.  Problem solved.

You already know ATF has the final say. My 2c is just weld up the gas port hole in the gas block (don't do a ball bearing, it's probably harder than the weld). Easy to do, fairly easy to reverse after you pull the block, just open back up with an endmill through access hole. I still say at least go pump along the lines of the PAR1/PAR3 AK's. And I'd install a Cali compliant bullet button if that's deemed legal for whatever reason you're after. Good luck

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368221337

Edited by 6500rpm

Build a false wall in one of your closets and tell them when they come it's in Oneida or Panther Lake. Could they prove it wasn't or do you have to report guns that fall overboard? A co-worker back in '77 had me dive in a lake near Rome trying to recover his Browning which he lost, while in a canoe. I'm sure the laws have changed, but he didn't have to tell. Probably didn't want anyone to know.

Just a thought, have two bolts, one with and one without the gas rod. Thread the one without the rod with a proper size metric bolt, quick weld job and smooth off the head of the threaded bolt. Maybe Tony has some thoughts. I'm not much help, but this sort of thing helped me decide to leave NY, and still waiting for my pistol permit for over a year and not getting it. Moving is not always as easy to do as some think it is, especially those that don't have to. Good luck, I hope for your and other's sake it doesn't come down to mutilating your guns.

You can remove the puck, then pin and weld the factory plug in the gas block. (?) *shrugs*

A very light tack so the weld could be ground off and the pin removed, and the GB repaired if the occasion ever arose to do so.

ETA: I was thinking shotgun, not rifle. Again, pin and weld?

Edited by Yeoldetool

I'm sorry that you have to consider such things.

Fucking "Progressive" Politicians keep messing with law-abiding citizens. I hope they all die an untimely, painful, natural death. :)

Any word on the legal challenge?

Just weld up the gas block hole and use 10 rnd mags. Doesn't the law require you to surrender or sell your hi-caps?

Has anybody talked about openly challenging the law? Do the police really want to enforce this? You are in a unique position to "call bullshit". They are counting on thousands of people to comply with an unconstitutional law passed in the middle of the night.

We should just turn them all in now, if we aren't willing to fight on every front, including peaceful non-compliance.

If they know that there are probably 20,000 rifles in the state but, only 5,000 rifles are registered are they going to go door-to-door looking for them? Is it going to be worth the prosecutor's time to try to convict each case? Do they have enough prison cells?

Case in point.....

In Seattle, WA, the State Prosecutor refuses to put minors, involved in gun crimes, in prison because it's not cost effective. They will convict around the 5th offense, for posession of a firearm.

It would overwhelm the system.

Only civil compliance will allow this law to stay.

Move your guns to a safe place (modify them, if you wish) and then call the police and tell them you have no intention of complying and that they are no longer on the property. Call everyone you know (even if the don't own guns) and advise the same. This is called resistance.

We are losing ground everday, if we just "comply".

"Comply" and you are cementing the new law.

Stand your ground. Don't make us take it back later.

Edited by Sim_Player

Honestly, the term easily is vague.  Any advice could lead you to having to appear in court in the end, to prove it's not "easily" done.  Hell, any gun can be converted to full auto with the right amount of work.  Is it easily done?  Is it easily done for a blacksmith?  Is it easily done for a guy with some metal working tools?  Is it easily done for a carpenter?  Who the heck knows.

I don't know the law, but I'd go the route of welding on a mag, which is permanently modified to hold only "less than seven" or whatever, and move on.  

Meantime, keep working to repeal the SAFE act.  Giving up is just losing ground.

i can ship all my questionable mags and rifles to myself C/O my father in Penn, totally legally...  I would like to retain a few AK's in a shootable, yet NON REGISTERED and legal to posess should the safe act NOT be repealed...

My AR's are non issues... back doors/loopholes for those are all set. :up:

Seems it would be smarter to store them at your fathers residence until after the SAFE act is upheld or repealed. If upheld, taking it to a gunsmith in your local and having it "permanently" modified to "bolt action" (should qualify for that if you have to rack the bolt before every round, regardless of the actual motion of the bolt). This removed any intent to own an illegal firearm should you ever be challenged on it. An at home "hack job" (itrespective of actual work quality) would hold much less weight in court than a professional modification would. Plus federal law has already allowed a tack weld to be considered permanent (see VEPR FSF stock importation)