I didn't want to post this in the tech section because they are AR grips, but if mods feel that's a better place then by all means go for it. I have Umbrella corp's grip 23's on my AR and they are smooth as silk, but that's the problem. I love the grip angle but dislike the smoothness. SO, I got a wood burning tool called the Versa Tool by Walnut Hollow and decided to give it a go. After practicing on grips I had laying around in my spare parts bin, I got confident enough to give it a go on the real thing....here's what came of it:

FYI: 2:13 is where the fun starts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUKZZlkxV9WN7a3M2RcyZq-A&feature=player_detailpage&v=JxjiNCONXts

I found out that Umbrella's grip needed more heat then the standard grip I practiced on. Overall I liked the end result minus the pain in the ass hand cramping during the process.

TIPS: If you guys want to try this, always practice on spare parts first and start your heat settings on low. Too hot will result in large mounds of plastic and a ugly finish.

Edited by Vultite
  • Like 2

Very cool! I keep meaning to try this on parts ranging from rail covers to pistol grips. If I can get it right with those, I might tackle some Glocks. I'm glad you posted what tool you used. Looks like a nice set up.

Very cool! I keep meaning to try this on parts ranging from rail covers to pistol grips. If I can get it right with those, I might tackle some Glocks. I'm glad you posted what tool you used. Looks like a nice set up.

Izhmash provides some free practice material with each factory sporter.

• Like 2

There is an attachmenty for the soldering iron that has the indentions and larger surface area to make this a less tedious task.

I am sitting in the hosptial right now and don't have the name of the company, but I will post it when I get released and back home.

Really makes the job easier and gives great uniformity and will work on all of them.

Jack