Hello, I'm kind of new to owning a Saiga and to the Saiga/AK world in general. I haven't bought it yet, but am planning on purchasing this Saiga IZ-132:

81152.jpg

and placing this stock/forearm set on it:

saiga1.jpg

I would like to use 20 round mags with it (don't really want 30 rounders for this set up) and was wondering what I could do to comply with 922r while still keeping the stock/forearm that way. Thanks for any help that could be offered for this.

Also, any help on finding the kind of scope that is and mounts for it would also be appreciated.

Edited by Vadam

I am going to take a stab at this.  I could be entirely wrong so I am hoping someone else chimes in to confirm or deny this information.  From the Gunwiki 922r page linked here you can uncheck muzzle attachment since the rifle doesn't come with a threaded barrel.  I would then go to Dinzag's website and purchase his fire control group for a Saiga factory replacement.  This allows you to replace the disconnector and hammer so go ahead and uncheck both on the gunwiki page as well.  Now since you are going to replace the stock and forearm with American made parts those can be uncheck along with a pistol grip because you won't have one.  By my calculations this should bring you into compliance.  Keep in mind I am not an expert, I hope I am not spreading misinformation since I am learning along with you...

Also, please take your link references out of your first post.  Linking to non-forum vendors is against the rules and could get your thread deleted.  Post pictures to make your point. 

Good luck!  Even though I want the traditional wood setup I kinda like the look you're going for.

• Like 1

I am going to take a stab at this.  I could be entirely wrong so I am hoping someone else chimes in to confirm or deny this information.  From the Gunwiki 922r page linked here you can uncheck muzzle attachment since the rifle doesn't come with a threaded barrel.  I would then go to Dinzag's website and purchase his fire control group for a Saiga factory replacement.  This allows you to replace the disconnector and hammer so go ahead and uncheck both on the gunwiki page as well.  Now since you are going to replace the stock and forearm with American made parts those can be uncheck along with a pistol grip because you won't have one.  By my calculations this should bring you into compliance.  Keep in mind I am not an expert, I hope I am not spreading misinformation since I am learning along with you...

Also, please take your link references out of your first post.  Linking to non-forum vendors is against the rules and could get your thread deleted.  Post pictures to make your point. 

Good luck!  Even though I want the traditional wood setup I kinda like the look you're going for.

Thank you very much. Would living in Texas have any difference on anything? Since 922r is federal law, I don't think it would, but I figured I would ask anyway. On Dinzag's site, it says something about a BHO (Bolt Hold Open) and non-BHO model, how can I tell which one this is? Is it something that I'd only be able to find out after purchasing the rifle or no?

Edited by Vadam

Just use a US made 20 rounder and you are good.

US Part count-

Buttstock

Pistol Grip

Forearm

Muzzle device - None

US Magazine 3 parts

Total 922r compliance parts count 6 plus None = 7

FYI that forearm has a tendency to slide forward due to recoil. It doesn't fasten down worth a darn. The Rhineland buttstock is good to go. You might want to save the money and go with the stock forearm and the Rhineland buttstock.

That is a PSO/POSP series optic. Many online vendors sell them. Just make sure to get an AK style mount and not an SVD style mount.

Edited by Jaba1017
  • Like 1

Just use a US made 20 rounder and you are good.

US Part count-

Buttstock

Pistol Grip

Forearm

Muzzle device - None

US Magazine 3 parts

Total 922r compliance parts count 6 plus None = 7

FYI that forearm has a tendency to slide forward due to recoil. It doesn't fasten down worth a darn. The Rhineland buttstock is good to go. You might want to save the money and go with the stock forearm and the Rhineland buttstock.

That is a PSO/POSP series optic. Many online vendors sell them. Just make sure to get an AK style mount and not an SVD style mount.

The 20's I've been looking at are the Surefire ones. Is there an alternate forearm that you could suggest? I'd like to keep wood that would match the buttstock or something with maybe a bottom/quad rail, although the wood is preferred. 

Edited by Vadam

The rhineland forearm has a bar that screws down over the barrel. It does not attach at the receiver. It needs a set screw or a groove cut into the barrel to keep it from moving. The SGM is popular. Honestly I used that buttstock with the stock forearm and liked it fine. The buttstock works great with the PSO optic. The stock handgaurd sits flat for shooting off a bag. Id try the stock handguard 1st before looking at replacement.

On Dinzag's site, it says something about a BHO (Bolt Hold Open) and non-BHO model, how can I tell which one this is? Is it something that I'd only be able to find out after purchasing the rifle or no?

I believe all Iz-132's come with a bho.  Again confirm this information before going ahead and purchasing the fcg.  You'll know the minute you pick up your rifle.  Look for a button on the underside (bottom/right) of the receiver located fore of the trigger guard.  You can barely make it out in the picture you posted.  

Looks like you have two options when it comes to 922r compliance.  The benefit of swapping out the fcg allows you to run any magazines but it does require more money and a small amount of tinkering. 

Replacing the fcg has nothing to do with which mags will run in the rifle. A bullet guide and modification of the locking tab does that.

I understand what your saying.  For clarification my point behind both previous posts was that by replacing the fcg it will give him two more compliant parts.  Combined with the parts he mentioned he'll already be swapping out, the fcg will get him compliant without having to run US mags.  Merely pointing out this benefit.  He can run foreign tanker mags now and add surplus magazines to his collection in the future.  My comment in post #7 had nothing to do with the rifles function (bullet guide).  I simply like having more options. 

Yea there is a school of thought that the rifle itself should have 6 compliance parts without counting the mag. But running a US made mag will let you keep more of the original rifle. Ive built two Saigonovs with the rhineland buttstock. Its a good combo but heavy trigger and overall rifle weight vs conversion ultimately I converted each one. If I come accross a 20 inch x39 id do another one. Still have the stock.

The Handguard is very nice..BUT it would not stay put. Every time i shot the rifle it would creep forward. I tightened the barrel clamp down as tight as i felt comfortable with. Long story short, it no longer is on my rifle..   ;(

I would recommend doing the full conversion to your rifle. Don't rely on a Magazine to be 922r complaint. 

post-23178-0-43237000-1380653492.jpg

post-23178-0-84715600-1380653514.jpg

post-23178-0-03257600-1380653529.jpg

post-23178-0-46399000-1380653570.jpg

post-23178-0-39560800-1380653581.jpg

post-23178-0-56547400-1380653621.jpg

I showed what you guys have said about the forend to one of my coworkers and he suggested something called Lock-Tite? He said its like that denture paste glue stuff for guns, and that it would hold it in place securely, but can still be removed if need be. Would this work?

I showed what you guys have said about the forend to one of my coworkers and he suggested something called Lock-Tite? He said its like that denture paste glue stuff for guns, and that it would hold it in place securely, but can still be removed if need be. Would this work?

Yes i installed lock tite(Blue) to all my hardware on my firearms. The problem is the barrel clamp slides on the barrel when the bolt carrier group is in action. The product looks sexy and all but without a screw holding it to the reviever it just creeps forward. Trust me I tried. I even bolted a piece of metal to the wood handguard that would catch on the little tabs on the barrel of a stock saiga rifle. I even filed and sanded the back of the handguard to allow more of the wood tab to stick into the reciever in hope i could put a screw in it to hold the handguard in place. But i had no such luck... it is a quality piece but after long effort to make it work, i was not satisfied. So now it sits in with the rest of my Extra parts.

Edited by dsmtsi23

Check out the SGM. Looks like stock forearm but railed. Also chaos. Looks like an AK handguard but goes over the stock tube. There are some SVD forearms and retainers I don't remember who makes them or if they were for veper only.

CSS Ar vented handguard-lightweight, strong, lots of space to put rails if needed. My personal favorite.

SGM quad rail handguard- pretty sturdy. I liked it.

The stock handguard works great to. Always bolt a rail on it.

Theres some nice vepr wood handguards floating around also.

Last picture is not my rifle.

post-23178-0-75439100-1380692894_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-69041300-1380692950_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-67625900-1380693237_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-32845000-1380693461_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-55472000-1380694158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1