So who's ready for fresh bambi burgers? Anyone else planning on taking deer with their Saiga this season? I know my .308 is ready to rock n roll. May have to take one with the Vepr 12 and a slug too. Who says these guns can't be used for 'sporting purposes' and fill the freezer? 

wink.png

Watching a few tasty morsels out back with the trail cam as we speak.

post-1293-0-84083500-1380599442_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-39875800-1380599495_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-74165900-1380599533_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-34127200-1380599595_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-99001800-1380599693_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-66628000-1380599719_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hope to get a chance this year, the last few have been to bogged down with work. Seems like some big project tends to clime onto my back just in time for the season.

I won't get time for deer but hope to get one of their bigger cousins.

I'll be using my ol faithful 06. Ruger 77

post-39558-0-98025500-1380604256_thumb.jpg

post-39558-0-56722500-1380604291_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh I thought this was pretty funny.... or at least until the cops showed up AT MY HOUSE armed to the teeth, and wasted nearly an hour of my range time going over a whole table of my firearms with a fine toothed comb like I was some criminal or something.....

Seems my neighbor that owns the land I have my deer stand setup on next door, had a buddy from work over Sunday with an AK, a 9mm, and a shotgun for a little range time of their own. Well they decided to blast some tannerite over there and just happened to do it right in front of my trail cam so I caught it on film...lol. I was up here at my house and the first blast vibrated my windows. Then a little while later they touched off a second one I felt in my chest, way up here 3-400 yds away behind brick! Cop said he felt it in his squad car a half mile from here. Dude must have mixed a whole bigass box of the shit. I thought it was C4. Anyway that stump over on the right in the pics above, is where they put the target. It's a large hollow oak stump that I had stuck a large oak limb down inside the hole on a year or so ago. Never found any sign of that or the bark off the stump....lol!

Needless to say just after that was not the best time for me to be down on my range sighting in my .308 rifles, Brit .303, SKS,, and have other fun guns laid out on my shootin table I was planning to fire just for fun. Then after they got done hassling me for all that time, turns out they never even WENT next door to check out WTF they lit off over there. I talked to the chick that lives there last night and she said it was all legal and some kind of white powder he mixed up with a gray powder. Yup sounds like either tannerite or southern thunder to me. That must have been a couple of expensive blasts!

My table of goodies they got to play with.... Woulda been better if they had just asked to shoot with me so I could check out their ARs. Maybe next time...lol.

post-1293-0-68218700-1380647875_thumb.jpg

Boom booms... (my range on my land where I was shooting is just on the other side of this clearing)

post-1293-0-40142900-1380645850_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-85234800-1380645881_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-04476000-1380645915_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-72428800-1380645980_thumb.jpg

Then just two hrs later... still the deer came in just like clockwork...lol....  funny. We were shooting the evening before and looked over and there they were. Had one standing broadside looking at us with my .308 in hand...lol. My brother about shat himself. It's still muzzle loader season here for another week & a half.

post-1293-0-33574900-1380646199_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-07048800-1380646252_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to deer season! Using a 7x57 mauser though, its a family thing.

Glad I am not the only one using 7x57!

Mostly I use a Pedersoli SxS .58 muzzle loader because distances are short and it tears up a lot less meat, but I do love my 7x57 mauser!

Also - Nice rack(s)!

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the gun deer/elk season. There is a small area north of Kalispell that is state land and shotgun or bow only. The perfect place for a Saiga.

Hopefully, my wife will get me some time off from the kids so I can hunt some food!

If not, I will just hand over the receipts for the tags and gear I purchased this year and explain to her why I need time off. Then I will go buy a few hundred pounds of meat for the winter.

GOOD LUCK HUNTING!

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1

Earlier in the summer I accidentally unplugged our garage chest freezer, and all of my deer/elk from the past couple years bled out onto the garage floor and was ruined in the 90+ deg heat. Came home one day and wife told me "there's some pink liquid all over the garage floor." Felt real bad for the kid running the garbage truck that week.

Going to NE WA state and hunting our old spots because I don't have the money to do Montana this year. Lots of 100-200yd shots, so I decided to bring my WASR in 7.62x39 with a 4x POSP as a short-range rifle. I'll also have my .270 and .243, but would like to give it a try with the AK.

Hope I can put some more meat in the freezer, but not counting on it. It's been slim picking here the last few years, and word is that all the way west from Montana into Idaho and Washington, wolves are doing a number on elk and deer herds once they come down from the high elevations. The states simply will not admit it, even if the locals say so. My uncle was elk hunting in Idaho last week and said he saw piles of bones everywhere.

If I don't see any thing, I may pack up my Honda Trail 90 and follow the horse trails to get up to the snow line.

Yes we enjoy working for our meat. I don't know if I could ever hunt from a blind or shoot a baited deer.

If you hunt where I do the deer are "baited" naturally. Those trees drop enough acorns every year to keep them coming back day and night all season, even with us shooting all the time back there. Keeps em well fed to boot. Happy happy happy.  :)

You NC boys need to catch up got 3 hogs and a 8 pt already in the freezer and a 9 pt to pick up at the processor....my freezer or "dead critter storage" as I like to call it is about half full...it holds 690lbs...rifle season has been in since 8-15 in the low country....going to try to fill my doe tags next weekend....everything taken with the trusty 30-06....May your shoot be true and you tracking short. Good Luck and be safe! If your in a tree stand harness up and tie off!

SC

• Like 1

attachicon.gifSUNP0020-003.JPG

That fella looks like a nice 8. 

I don't know about using my S12 except for turkeys and small game. I did bring it out last night when the coyotes were howling over the compost heap. The door closing scared them off. Fresh fat on it from a NY Strip I just cut up. Oh well. 

I did get a doe tag for my home DMU this year. First time ever, so i WILL have some meat without worrying about antlers. Plenty of does.

And SOMEONE stole my cameras! Pretty pissed about that!

• Like 1

Just picked up a cheap used 16 cu ft freezer today on craig's list. Gonna try and move it in tomorrow and get ready to start filling it up. My old one died and is serving as a backstop full of sand on my range. Good luck to everyone with that.

• Like 1

I haven't been deer hunting since I bagged this one back in 94.  200 yds with a 5.56mm 62 gr JSP out of my Mini-14.  I had fallen and got snow down the barrel.  Cleaned it best I could, but couldn't see rifiling.  First shot went unseen, but the second made this buck go 10 feet vertical, and take off like a shot.  Ran about 100 yards and smack into a tree.  The drag took 5 hours to haul him up the 150' bluff.  At registration, everyone was looking at my buck, even though there were bigger racks there.  Had 5 offers on the mount if I didn't want it.  My only regret was my grandfather wasn't there to see it.

post-46782-0-76897700-1380678101_thumb.jpg

This year, I'm going to try the S-12.

• Like 2

Well, let's see... Today was opening day of bow season here locally. Last weekend I went and set up a ladder stand on the family property after doing yard work all day for my 80+ year old parents. I musta been tired when I did it because when I got up in there tonight.... Placement sucked balls. So I climbed down and did a quickie move, 10 feet over and it was great sight. i sat there till about 20 after 6 and I see a deer running up the hay field towards me. It stopped at the big willow tree(big doesn't do it justice), where a natural spring feeds into the field and stood there looking back and around for close to 5 minutes... It was a 6 point buck!!!! It then slowly walked, with a limp towards me then cut into the woods going up the hill behind me. When it turned I seen a big bloodly spot on it's shoulder. It walked within 20 yards but did not present a shot to me through the trees. I figured i'd wait and see if anyone walked up following it. I sat there till dark and climbed down, lit a smoke and walked to the spot it went in... Bloody... I went to the willow tree where it stopped and stood... Bloody spot there also..... I didn't see anyone walking with or with out a light so I started to track it into the woods..... Few minutes later... there's the guy that lives/ owns the hill and the neighboring property. We talked/bull shitted and introduced each other( I've never met him before, he bought and built a house a few years back.. just never seen the need to meet him)... I told him about his deer and showed him the last blood spot I found and where I heard it crash last.... He went home to get a better light and I headed back to the truck....

• Like 3

Gonna try the Mosin Nagant on opening day for deer, then the 30-06 if need be. Late season doe tag for up to 5 does is pistol, .44mag., or shotgun.  Using the Remington 700 in .223 for Antelope in 2 weeks.

• Like 1

My son's first buck ever. It was five years ago. He went a bit long with the cut into the cape, but live and learn. He was within 75 yards of my house when he shot it. He took it with a 30-30 Winchester.

post-23857-0-51006800-1380767014_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-04558400-1380767187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

Just picked up a cheap used 16 cu ft freezer today on craig's list. Gonna try and move it in tomorrow and get ready to start filling it up. My old one died and is serving as a backstop full of sand on my range. Good luck to everyone with that.

Great use for a dead freezer!!! Just hauled my commercial Gibson off a month or two back. Served me well for 0ver 20 years. Gewtting another this weekend fort the bounty that I hope comes. There have been several hanging out around the house for the last several weeks, don't even raise their heads when I drive by anymore!! Bambi burgers and venison chili, yum yum!!!

• Like 1

I already got mine a couple months ago. It was a small four pointer about 120 lbs. It stopped dead and launched a couple hundred feet. Very effective projectile: ~17,143,000 grains @ ~102 FPS

I already got mine a couple months ago. It was a small four pointer about 120 lbs. It stopped dead and launched a couple hundred feet. Very effective projectile: ~17,143,000 grains @ ~102 FPS

What do you drive that's only 2500 LBS ?

I hit a two yr old doe Friday night. First one I ever hit. I saw her on the opposite side of the road on the bank so I slowed as quickly as I could without throwing out the anchor but she panicked and jumped smack in front of me just as I was nearly stopped.

I was lucky with zero damage to the truck but she got a broke neck. I hate that.

Earlier in the summer I accidentally unplugged our garage chest freezer, and all of my deer/elk from the past couple years bled out onto the garage floor and was ruined in the 90+ deg heat. Came home one day and wife told me "there's some pink liquid all over the garage floor." Felt real bad for the kid running the garbage truck that week.

Going to NE WA state and hunting our old spots because I don't have the money to do Montana this year. Lots of 100-200yd shots, so I decided to bring my WASR in 7.62x39 with a 4x POSP as a short-range rifle. I'll also have my .270 and .243, but would like to give it a try with the AK.

Hope I can put some more meat in the freezer, but not counting on it. It's been slim picking here the last few years, and word is that all the way west from Montana into Idaho and Washington, wolves are doing a number on elk and deer herds once they come down from the high elevations. The states simply will not admit it, even if the locals say so. My uncle was elk hunting in Idaho last week and said he saw piles of bones everywhere.

If I don't see any thing, I may pack up my Honda Trail 90 and follow the horse trails to get up to the snow line.

Yes we enjoy working for our meat. I don't know if I could ever hunt from a blind or shoot a baited deer.

Please be advised that you can obtain up to 6 wolf tags here in Montana. They are not easy to hunt. Just the fact that the DNRC issued 6 tags per hunter shows how fucking stupid it was to import hybrid wolves from Canada and introduce them to areas where they are not native.

S.S.S.

Good luck hunting! www.saveelk.com

• 4 weeks later...

A few pics from my stand earlier this evening. The rut is starting soon so it won't be long now. Watched three does and two young'ns for about an hour til it got dark. The does kept trying to chase off the babies. They eventually got so close one of the does walked between me and that big oak right in front of me...lol. Still waitin' on big daddy before I start  taking the does though. There time is coming. They'll all be preggers pretty soon so...  smile.png  Good times.

Two does...

post-1293-0-94751700-1382849141_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-23283800-1382849174_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-82692100-1382849208_thumb.jpg

Three does & two fawns

post-1293-0-62631900-1382849235_thumb.jpg

Two does

post-1293-0-54625600-1382849279_thumb.jpg

C'mon Buck!

• Like 1

Over the next couple weeks, I am going to be doing some experimenting with a 'mexican match' for my mosin nagant.  Ive read in a few places that a .310 bullet will work well with a mosin, so im going to try it out.  I have a shit load of surplus ammo in x54, so im going to pull  8m3 bullets out of some x39, even out the powder charges in my x54 cases, press, crimp , and check for accuracy.  If they test well Im going to kill some deer with them, if not ill just buy the proper .311 (303 british) bullets and try again.

Im am really interested to see what an 8m3 does to a deer going around 3000 fps.

• Like 2

The video came off my son's camera in the same exact spot he got the other deer ( http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/90772-deer-season/?p=934986 ), just about 100 yards from my house. We definitely has some non-typical genes in the deer around here. I'm thinking this is the grandson to the one he got five years ago. It's a screen cap from the video because I didn't save it to my pc and he didn't upload it to youtube. 3x2 with two little bitty brow tines.

DeerCam_zps1d4a52f6.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that does look just like the other one but opposite. Cool how genes pass things like that down. I keep waiting to see another albino back there in my yard. I saw what appeared to be a full grown one about 10 years ago as it was leaping into the brush at dusk. Just did catch it as I turned around and spooked it. Then a few years ago I was out bush hogging and came up on a doe and three fawns, one of which was a piebald with a mostly white back half. Sure would be awesome to run into old frosty grandpa back there one evening! smile.png

Edit to add... got some non typical racks going on back there too. I'll try to find a pic I have of a strange looking one from a long time ago with a U shaped forked tine kinda thing on one side.