Issues 1st Time Out

Long Time Reader & First Time Poster.

I purchased my MKA early 2012 and got busy with other projects and finally got serious about doing something with it and ordered some 922r parts last month. I decided to take it out to the range today in factory condition after I disassembled, cleaned, lubed & reassembled it. I took care not to damage the Feed Ramp & inspected it since I remembered from all the reading about that issue. I used the High Brass I purchased last year specifically for MKA break-in (Winchester 2-3/4 1-1/4oz 1220 fps) with a factory 5 round mag.

I shot about 50 rounds before I headed home as it appeared to not be improving as per the attached picture, I continually had Stovepipe/FTE issues. With 5 rounds in the mag it was guaranteed to FTE. Twice with 4 rounds in the mag it cycled all 4 rounds no problem. I tried 3 rounds and even 2 rounds and it was pretty much a FTE almost every round.

I know I need to put some more rounds thru it, but since it didnt appear to be improving I figured I would ask for some ideas before I continue. Shouldnt the High Brass shells I selected by sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jesse

post-48371-0-78268300-1380652595_thumb.jpg

I see you have a Pre-XN, shooting 1220 FPS shells, those together will be the problem.

We recommend at minimum, on a Pre-XN gun, 1300FPS or higher, and most take 100+ rounds to run reliably  with lower (1200FPS) shells. 

Shoot the recommended break-in , I think most of your problems will go away, if your still having problems there are some other things we can look at.

I see you have a Pre-XN, shooting 1220 FPS shells, those together will be the problem.

We recommend at minimum, on a Pre-XN gun, 1300FPS or higher, and most take 100+ rounds to run reliably  with lower (1200FPS) shells. 

Shoot the recommended break-in , I think most of your problems will go away, if your still having problems there are some other things we can look at.

Thanks for the reply. Didnt realize there was such a difference in the XN/pre-XN.  Will pick-up some 1300fps or higher shells and go back at it.

Thanks Again

PS: some of the upgrade parts I purchased were Tooth & Nail, cant wait to get this broke in and do the upgrades.

I broke mine in with 1500+ fps, then stepped it down 100 fps every 25 rounds till I got to Winchester or Federal bulk pack stuff. Now mine shoots everything.

What you are experiencing is normal from what I have seen.

Thanks I am trying to see what I can find locally. Is there anything normally sold at Wally World that will work. I have to make a trip there tomorrow so figured I would check so I dont have to wait on mail order.

Also I have noticed that in the break in period some real good lube works great too. I use it liberally on the bolt and the guide rod and the guide block. I have not had issues at all using 1200 fps ammo, however I do have a xn model.

This is the lube I use ( archoil AR 4200) and found it to be the best after trying about 12 different ones that all claimed to be the best. I have no affiliation with the company and have to buy the stuff just like everyone else. A little goes a long way.....

T

Why I was waiting to find some higher power shells I figured I would go out and cycle some more of what I had thru it. It actually started working better and for a while everything went fine and it would go thru a 5 round mag with no problems. I had about 6 mags thru it and it started doing the same thing again so I went home and disassembled it to clean it. Two things I noticed:

There was a lot of aluminum shavings upon disassembly I could see the following wear on the upper, I remember seeing pictures of this previously in a forum but didnt know how much of an issue or had bad this is:

post-48371-0-19150700-1380678776_thumb.jpg

I cleaned out all the shavings and lubed it real well and upon reassembly I couldnt get the Charging Handle to lock into the bolt. I pulled it back apart and noticed that the little spring loaded ball in the Bolt Carrier was stuck down. I inserted a push pin on the bottom side of it thru the hole and popped it up. I installed/removed the Charging Handle a few more times and each time it stuck down and had to be popped up. After about 3 times it seemed to stay up after I removed the charging handle ???

Should I be worried at this point?

The upper receiver wear is pretty normal, it will stop after a while, we have guns with thousands of rounds on them with no problems what so ever.

Pins stay tight in the poly, no common breaks/repairs, probably the worst thing on a stock gun will be the trigger pins bending, and the factory trigger/hammer springs will fatigue.

Shoot the heck out of it enjoy you shotgun, when/if, you start getting light primer strikes change the trigger. Shoot some more.

Usually between 4-600 rounds is when light strikes show up, many never have a problem.

On the shavings, no, I wouldn't worry. As for the ball in the bolt, someone else will have to speak to that - I've never sen that happen before.

I bought my high velocity shells at Academy. Walmart should have at least 1350 fps, if not higher. I just looked and the stuff I started with is Win Super X 1550 fps. Then worked down from there. Beware, the 1400+ stuff hurts. I went through a whole box of 1550 and a whole box of 1450 in one range session. My shoulder was bruised pretty bad. So space it out a bit, unless you're used to a lot of shot gunning.

On the shavings, no, I wouldn't worry. As for the ball in the bolt, someone else will have to speak to that - I've never sen that happen before.

I bought my high velocity shells at Academy. Walmart should have at least 1350 fps, if not higher. I just looked and the stuff I started with is Win Super X 1550 fps. Then worked down from there. Beware, the 1400+ stuff hurts. I went through a whole box of 1550 and a whole box of 1450 in one range session. My shoulder was bruised pretty bad. So space it out a bit, unless you're used to a lot of shot gunning.

Thanks, I will check tomorrow and see what I can get at Walmart for now. 

No, I am not use to a lot of shot gunning. two trips to the range today and ~80 rounds and my shoulder is pretty sore with some bruising starting to show up already. Gotta Love It

The upper receiver wear is pretty normal, it will stop after a while, we have guns with thousands of rounds on them with no problems what so ever.

Pins stay tight in the poly, no common breaks/repairs, probably the worst thing on a stock gun will be the trigger pins bending, and the factory trigger/hammer springs will fatigue.

Shoot the heck out of it enjoy you shotgun, when/if, you start getting light primer strikes change the trigger. Shoot some more.

Usually between 4-600 rounds is when light strikes show up, many never have a problem.

Thanks for the advice Matt. I know I am probably just paranoid, but I noticed this mushrooming out on the lower left feed ramp lip (red circle), but nothing like it on the right side. Is that normal ?

Thanks Again

post-48371-0-26131600-1380681766_thumb.jpg

Even though my pre-XN shotgun is well broke in (well over 1500 rds), I continue to shoot it wet.   If I go too long between full break-down and cleaning, carbon rings will build up on the guide rod and hang up the gas piston.

So when I get a stovepipe, the first thing I check is the guide rod.   If in doubt, clean it and the gas piston.  Run the piston up and down the guide rod to be certain there is no drag or spots where it catches even slightly.

I use Remington Gun Club (1200 fps - 1-1/8 oz) shells for most practice and all matches.

Bill